ImageImageImage

Josh Smith believes Hawks can upset Celtics

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#21 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Wow... where do I begin with some of the insanity posted in this thread?

Let me start by posting the ACTUAL quote:

"We'd be fools to think it's not possible," said fourth-year Hawks forward Josh Smith. "We'd be bigger fools not to believe in ourselves, especially after the way people have bashed us the past few years. Why shouldn't we think we're going to shock the world? The Warriors showed everybody that it's not impossible."

Wow, how ridiculous! As usual, the Boston papers have completely taken a quote out of context to create a story. They literally picked three words out of a statement and printed it.

If you call a guy a "joke" for believing his team can win against all odds then you know very little about pro athletics. Smoove thinks we can win the series: he said nothing remotely insulting about your team, he didn't take any cheap shots, he simply said that he thinks his team can win.

If you expect him to say anything else you might as well stop watching sports, because athletes always think they can win. That's why they have gotten to the pro level in the first place.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#22 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:12 pm

He could have said something like "we know it's gonna be tough but we think we have a chance" etc, instead of him and Childress coming out and saying that it's a likely possibility. ANYTHING in this world is POSSIBLE, but likely?

:wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Retrovision
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Retrovision » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 pm

nasbahceltic wrote:Josh Smith is an idiot plain and simple. Not only will they not win a game, they won't even be IN a game. Its gonna be blowout city and by saying stupid stuff like this he's only going to make it worst for this terribly over-matched team. I mean come on you were 5 games under .500 and you come out and say something crazy like this? What a nutjob!

What I dont understand is why you guys are acting so high and mighty all of a sudden. As if you guys werent WORSE then us last year. The Hawks will not get swept, the pressure is all on Boston.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#24 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:20 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:He could have said something like "we know it's gonna be tough but we think we have a chance" etc, instead of him and Childress coming out and saying that it's a likely possibility. ANYTHING in this world is POSSIBLE, but likely?

:wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :wavefinger: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I am really struggling to find out where he said it is "likely." I have read this quote over and over and there is absolutely nothing disrespectful about it. He simply said that of course he thinks that we can win, that's why they're going up to Boston play Game 1 right? Isn't it to win?

He did not say that Boston was overrated, he did not say were going to blow ya'll out, he did not call out any of your players, he simply said that he's coming into this series with the mindset that we can win the series. Once again, if you have a problem with that you are being far too sensitive.

If you want to talk about bulletin board material, the Boston Herald called the Hawks the "worst team in the NBA" in an article.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#25 » by campybatman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 pm

HoopsGuru25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They aren't childhood friends but they were roomates their last year of highschool at Oak Hill.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... as_rivals/

I'm not saying they're childhood friends. You misread me. I was speaking in general with the last sentence.
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#26 » by nasbahceltic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Retrovision wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What I dont understand is why you guys are acting so high and mighty all of a sudden. As if you guys werent WORSE then us last year. The Hawks will not get swept, the pressure is all on Boston.

LOL this ain't last year chief so bringing up last year in any conversation is getting you nowhere. Your team is gonna get crushed the sooner you accept that the easier it will be.
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#27 » by wigglestrue » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 pm

If you want to talk about bulletin board material, the Boston Herald called the Hawks the "worst team in the NBA" in an article.

There's no way Mark Murphy meant that. No ******* way.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Retrovision wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok enough with this "high and mighty" bull%$#! I keep hearing from you. It's 2008, in the present we ARE better than you, SIGNIFICANTLY better. Last year has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE. Get off your high horse, stop b%$#hing about the perceived arrogance of our team, if anyone has been looking arrogant lately it's you claiming you have the blueprint to beat us using the regular season to back your argument, even though we swept you with every game being a blow out.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#29 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 pm

wigglestrue wrote:

There's no way Mark Murphy meant that. No ******* way.

That very well may be true, but it is still bulletin board material whether he meant it or not as it was printed and distributed. Who edits that paper? I'm more a Globe man myself.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#30 » by campybatman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Again, I'm not bothered by Smith's comments and definitely not so after reading the statement in complete context. I just wonder if players such as Smith and Horford will get into jarring matches with players on the Celtics or will Hawks players feel like Boston could try to show them up on the road and they'll seek payback when the series moves to Atlanta. Still, I believe Celtics players respect the Hawks players and their talent.

To succeed against the Hawks in these playoffs, the Celtics will have to deal with Joe Johnson. According to Paul Pierce, it should never have come to this.

Adobozz
Junior
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Adobozz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:03 pm

LoL at Celtics fans!

Why are you guys arguing about something that everyone knows?

You guys are simply better.

You don't have to keep saying that we suck, we were 5 games under.500 and other ****.

So what if Smoove said that we can do what Warriors did last year. It's different though because Warriors had Mavs number in regular season as well. We got swept. You don't have to flame him for it and compare him to no heart players like Q.

Celtics are better team than the Hawks end of story.
francishsu
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by francishsu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Reading the "actual" quote by Josh Smith, I will pull back my criticism. It certainly wasn't just the Boston papers being selective with the quoting.

However, the article in the AJC does provide a fuller quote from Childress. I wonder how one is to interpret the part where he says "We feel like it's a great matchup for us". And then his reasoning is that they aren't significantly worse than the Celtics at any particular position. First, not being significantly worse than any position does not make it a "great matchup". And if he's talking great matchup relative to other teams in the EC, then he's full of more crap than a port-a-potty at a tailgating party.
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
francishsu
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by francishsu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Reading the "actual" quote by Josh Smith, I will pull back my criticism. It certainly wasn't just the Boston papers being selective with the quoting.

However, the article in the AJC does provide a fuller quote from Childress. I wonder how one is to interpret the part where he says "We feel like it's a great matchup for us". And then his reasoning is that they aren't significantly worse than the Celtics at any particular position. First, not being significantly worse than any position does not make it a "great matchup". And if he's talking great matchup relative to other teams in the EC, then he's full of more crap than a port-a-potty at a tailgating party.
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#34 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:45 pm

What Childress said was incorrect. But athletes say that kind of stuff every day, he think his team can win the series just like any player in the playoff right now does.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,082

Post#35 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 pm

tombattor wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, I agree. Even if Josh Smith believes that the Celtics are the superior team, you don't want your best player coming out and saying that they're gonna lose. Why even bother at that point?

I don't understand why this is an issue and people are losing their caca over it. Who cares?

100% agreed. What is he going to say, "We're **** -ed"?
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#36 » by nasbahceltic » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Adobozz wrote:LoL at Celtics fans!

Why are you guys arguing about something that everyone knows?

You guys are simply better.

You don't have to keep saying that we suck, we were 5 games under.500 and other ****.

So what if Smoove said that we can do what Warriors did last year. It's different though because Warriors had Mavs number in regular season as well. We got swept. You don't have to flame him for it and compare him to no heart players like Q.

Celtics are better team than the Hawks end of story.

Everybody's just having fun and nobody on this board has a personal vendetta against the Hawks. We're all just engaging in a little trash talk.

Reading Smith's comments in their entirety does show that he wasn't being as arrogant as originally portrayed. He has to expect that his team has a chance of winning or else why bother showing up.

The thing that gets me a little fired up is when fans from another team's board feel compelled to come on our board and give their little jabs. Raptor fans learned the hard way this year after all that crap they said in the summer. If you don't agree with something ppl are saying on THIS board then be polite and respectful about it (as you have Adobozz). When you say something thats gonna antagonize others (Retrovision)thats when you'll see the 5 games below .500 statements and so forth.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#37 » by cfan79 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 pm

Now that I've read the whole article I've got no problem with what Josh and Joe said. Their words were taken out of context originally.

You can understand why Childress would put his foot in his mouth though. He was probably just mad. Every place you turn to is talking about how bad they are. But he should have biten his tongue and been more respectful.
Retrovision
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by Retrovision » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Al n' Perk No Layups! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok enough with this "high and mighty" bull%$#! I keep hearing from you. It's 2008, in the present we ARE better than you, SIGNIFICANTLY better. Last year has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVENCE. Get off your high horse, stop b%$#hing about the perceived arrogance of our team, if anyone has been looking arrogant lately it's you claiming you have the blueprint to beat us using the regular season to back your argument, even though we swept you with every game being a blow out.

If 10 points in 2/3 games is a blowout, I want what your smoking.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,057

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:36 pm

The Atlanta organization is doing everything possible to keep everyone confident. I really don't see the big deal or reason to even make it into one. It's a young team that has a giant mountain to climb if they want to get out of the first round.

Boston is obviously the better team. If the Hawks need to keep anything it's their confidence or else it's going to become a very fast downhill spiral.
LHughes/JSmooth
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#40 » by LHughes/JSmooth » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:00 am

Everyone, first of all if were not going to go in thinking we are going to win, then why even have a playoff?

Return to Boston Celtics