ImageImageImage

GAME 2 : Celtics vs Hawks - Wednesday, April 23rd (1-0)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

GAME 2 : Celtics vs Hawks - Wednesday, April 23rd (1-0) 

Post#1 » by wetsthebed » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,365

Post#2 » by Gant » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:02 pm

from truehoop:

"TrueHoop reader Trieu: "Almost everyone's predicting a sweep, and that's understating the disparity between the teams. The Celtics are one of the best teams ever and the Hawks are a bad team. That these two teams have been placed in the same playoff bracket is nothing short of historical anomaly. Here's one fun exercise: The Celtics point differential this season was 10.3. The Hawks point differential this season was -1.8. So the "square" differential (the point differential between their point differentials) between the two teams was 12.1. To put this in perspective, here are some imaginary 2008 playoff match-ups that would be similarly (or even MORE) competitive, based on point differential: Detroit Pistons vs. Charlotte Bobcats (11.8), Orlando Magic vs. NY Knicks (12.1), Toronto Raptors vs. Miami Heat (11.5), New Orleans Hornets vs. Minnesota T-Wolves (12.1), San Antonio Spurs vs. LA Clippers (12.1), Phoenix Suns vs. Memphis Grizzlies (11.2). Now imagine if any of these pairings were actually to play a seven-game series. Try hard, because it seems kind of ridiculous. Concentrate. Got it? Now that's what's happening between Boston and Atlanta."
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#3 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:05 pm

I predict another blowout. Perhaps the same margin of error, but the Hawks won't be as close early as they were in game 1 now that the C's are settled down.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
happykooner
Senior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by happykooner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm

I have a feeling the next cigar is going to Scalbrine :D

JK, Next cigar might go to James Posey.... I'm feeling a good game out of him esspically if Paul or Ray aren't playing well.
cfan79
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#5 » by cfan79 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm

Horford is a monster, but he can't do it by himself. C's should blow them out yet again. Its a nice tuneup for the 2nd round.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,040

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Boston favored to win by 15 points.

O/U is 189.5
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm

cfan79 wrote:Horford is a monster, but he can't do it by himself. C's should blow them out yet again. Its a nice tuneup for the 2nd round.

The Hawks players are just not consistent. You really never know what your going to get from Josh Smith or how his touch will be. Marvin's a 3 that doesn't even attempt 3 pointers. It's just sad when you have to rely on 3 pointers from the backcourt because you don't have anyone else who can knock them down. Al Horford is part of the glue that holds this team together, but yet he needs to be starting at the 4 and not the 5.

Good Luck!
cfan79
RealGM

Post#8 » by cfan79 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:08 pm

HMFFL wrote:Boston favored to win by 15 points.

O/U is 189.5

Look at the bright side. Bibby can't play any worse then he did in the 1st game.
cfan79
RealGM

Post#9 » by cfan79 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:11 pm

HMFFL wrote:The Hawks players are just not consistent. You really never know what your going to get from Josh Smith or how his touch will be.

Good Luck!

We went through the same crap the last 2-3 seasons. Most young guys aren't consistent. Atlanta should think about trading anyone not named Horford. They've got a lot of young fellas that could bring in a solid vet.

I wouldn't trade Law either, his value's way too low right now.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:24 pm

cfan79 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We went through the same crap the last 2-3 seasons. Most young guys aren't consistent. Atlanta should think about trading anyone not named Horford. They've got a lot of young fellas that could bring in a solid vet.

I wouldn't trade Law either, his value's way too low right now.

I just want the Hawks to acquire some solid depth for the bench. Marvin Williams needs to be lured out to see what he can bring back to the team. I know he's still young, but someone has to go at some point, because I don't see this group winning a championship anytime soon. Marvin's game is also missing so many aspects of the game that a small forward should have.

The first thing that needs to happen is finding another Coach and GM.
EvadedHavoc
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by EvadedHavoc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:11 pm

LETS GO!!!

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#12 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:13 pm

[quote="HMFFL"]-= original quote snipped =-

I just want the Hawks to acquire some solid depth for the bench. Marvin Williams needs to be lured out to see what he can bring back to the team. I know he's still young, but someone has to go at some point, because I don't see this group winning a championship anytime soon. Marvin's game is also missing so many aspects of the game that a small forward should have.

The first thing that needs to happen is finding another Coach and GM.[/quote]

I meant to ask, what do Hawks fans think of Woodson? He seems like a nice enough guy...how is he as a coach?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:56 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:I meant to ask, what do Hawks fans think of Woodson? He seems like a nice enough guy...how is he as a coach?

The majority of Atlanta fans on Realgm and off appear to want Coach Woodson out. Billy Knight also wanted him out a couple times, but the Atlanta Spirit Group seem to feel different, and as you can see Coach Woodson is still around. I question his Coaching nearly every game. There are several topics on the Atlanta board wanting Coach Woodson out.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#14 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:04 pm

I see.

What are the particular beefs with his coaching?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 528

Post#15 » by NDaATL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:I see.

What are the particular beefs with his coaching?

Wow, where do I start? Timed substitutions first of all, the same players sub in at the exact same time every game, regardless unless there is foul trouble or something. That shows a complete lack of ability to make adjustments.

Our complete lack of an offensive gameplan. I'm sure you can just watch our offense and see that we have nothing. And SO many times after calling timeouts, we'll give the ball to someone and they'll dribble the clock out and jack up a terrible shot.

His insistence on slowing the pace of the game down. Yes, we are 5th in the NBA in fast break points, but if you watch us you'll realize that we need to run a LOT more.

Absolutely REFUSING to give the bench a chance and benching young players for multiple games at a time for no reason at all when the person he is currently playing is sucking it up.

Plus he always just stands there staring at people, it gets old..

There are tons of others but those are just the instant ones that popped into my mind.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#16 » by bruno sundov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:58 pm

happykooner wrote:I have a feeling the next cigar is going to Scalbrine :D

JK, Next cigar might go to James Posey.... I'm feeling a good game out of him esspically if Paul or Ray aren't playing well.

I want to vote scal for the next cigar even if he doesn't play a minute. The argument could be that he helped his team the most by staying out of the way.LOL
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#17 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Regarding Woodson's coaching:

I did notice on the offensive end the Hawks looked very chaotic. A lot of aimless running around, dribbling, not much passing, bad shots. When they took it to the hoop they had more success.

I noticed he went with a 7-8 man rotation...talk about a short bench!

Also, I haven't watched him all season like you Hawks fans have, but Zaza Pachulia looked **** terrible out there. Is he any good or is that the norm with him?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 528

Post#18 » by NDaATL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 pm

^ Zaza may be the worst big man in the entire NBA. He's horrible on defense. But that isn't even his biggest problem, his problem is that he THINKS he can score and will constantly take dumb shots and commit turnovers. Sadly we don't really have anyone better to back him up. I'd honestly rather play Solomon though, he can at least block shots and doesn't take stupid shots.

I don't get it either, Zaza was decent his first 2 years, but this year he's just been terrible.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#19 » by kmgarnett21 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Horford is a nice solid player. he will def be an all star in about 2-3 seasons. atlanta will be a solid team in the same amount of time. if acie law would play up to his potential/capability, then they'd have a solid PG off the bench. they jus need to add some bench help somehow this offseason & they'll be in the top 5 or 6 next year.

but that dont matter now b/c we're gonna kill em in game 2!
Retrovision
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Retrovision » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 pm

Damn, you guys are tough. Its hard to watch your defense has no holes!

Return to Boston Celtics