ImageImageImage

What are the fans at the garden chanting to Mike Bibby?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#41 » by wigglestrue » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:My parents dont like basketball, I guess Im the uber fan according to this reasoning?

Okay, so when did you start watching the Celts? 2001-2002? Or were you magically visited in a dream by Lucky the Leprechaun, who recruited you into Celtics fandom? Vere are yor fanhood paperz?

The thing about the pink hats is once the team starts sucking again they stop watching so your reasoning has some flaws

I'm pretty goddamned tired of this attitude. It's one thing to recognize that people like us are extraordinarily dedicated to a team. It's a totally different and (Please Use More Appropriate Word) thing to expect everyone to be like us. We go above and beyond the call of duty. But most fans are average fans. And they're not "fake fans" because they're not as insanely devoted as we are. When a franchise goes through a down period, the average fans pay less attention. When a franchise starts winning again, they pay more attention. It's natural. It's what most people do. Every fanbase has a bell curve of devotion. Every fanbase has a smallish core of hardcore fans, a massive number of off-and-on average fans, and -- when winning -- a smallish pile of totally clueless bandwagoners. Any fan who claims their fanbase isn't like that is lying.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#42 » by wigglestrue » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:46 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly. And for instance, I am a huge C's fan because my dad was from when he was a kid. He started getting interested in sports when he was probably 7 yrs old, in 1960 when the C's were in the midst of their first dominant period. He is from New England so they were, of course, the local team. So he's a bandwagon fan?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Being lucky enough to get "born into it" during a franchise's golden period doesn't make one immune to being a bandwagon fan, according to whatever the (Please Use More Appropriate Word) definition of it is today. If the Celtics weren't winning at the time, he wouldn't have given a crap about the team. So yeah, your dad was a bandwagon fan. I was a bandwagon fan too, having only started to care about the team in 1986 when I was a kid. Kids aren't somehow immune to bandwagon accusations.

Does all of that seem ludicrous? Well so is degrading average fans for being bandwagoners. There are relatively few real bandwagon fans. IMO, a bandwagon fan is someone who changes his/her allegiance depending on a team's record. Someone who has rooted for the Celtics their whole life but barely paid attention during the late 90's and early 00's, but is now excited and watches every game...that's not a bandwagon fan. That's an average fan.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#43 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't degrade casual fans who pay attention during the down periods but become way into it when the teams are good again. I degrade the people who had NO FACKING INTEREST in the team prior to the good period, and all of a sudden they love the team. And when they are bad again, they'll go back to not giving a crap.

Wigglestrue, I love how you ALWAYS take the contrarian position, it's almost like you do it constantly just so no one can accuse you of homerism...it's like self-loathing fandom. It's so much fun! :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#44 » by wigglestrue » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:31 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:I don't degrade casual fans who pay attention during the down periods but become way into it when the teams are good again. I degrade the people who had NO FACKING INTEREST in the team prior to the good period, and all of a sudden they love the team. And when they are bad again, they'll go back to not giving a crap.

So basically, if someone ever has the itch to root for a team that's winning, they had better wait until that team sucks again to start rooting for them? Because otherwise they'd be a bandwagon fan? Lots of REAL FANS begin rooting for a winning team out of the blue.

Wigglestrue, I love how you ALWAYS take the contrarian position, it's almost like you do it constantly just so no one can accuse you of homerism...it's like self-loathing fandom. It's so much fun! :roll:

No man, it's called being real, and fair.

IF YOU'RE A GREAT BIG OL' DIEHARD HARDCORE CELTICS FAN, THEN ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE AND DON'T BEGRUDGE NEW FANS THE OPPORTUNITY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE TEAM FOR THE FIRST TIME, BECAUSE DON'T FORGET THERE WAS A TIME WHEN YOU WEREN'T IN LOVE WITH THE CELTICS. YOU WEREN'T WEARING A LARRY BIRD JERSEY AS A FETUS.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#45 » by GuyClinch » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't degrade casual fans who pay attention during the down periods but become way into it when the teams are good again. I degrade the people who had NO FACKING INTEREST in the team prior to the good period, and all of a sudden they love the team. And when they are bad again, they'll go back to not giving a crap.

Meh. I don't degrade ANYONE who has interest in my favorite teams. I don't care if they are bandwagon fans or pink hats. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment one bit. You will never catch me whining about pretty girls going to the arena or watching the team in bars. This is not a job - being a fan is about having fun. So what if people don't know who Leon Powe is. What does it matter?

I don't get this elitist attitude. Your not REALLY a better person if your hardcore fan. Your likely a serious fan because you like basketball and probably played it growing up or are still playing in rec. leagues.

The only thing that might annoy me is someone who claims to be huge fan forever but doesn't really know the team. But that's just a general gripe about posing..

Pete
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#46 » by grantlongforpresident » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:05 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

Meh. I don't degrade ANYONE who has interest in my favorite teams. I don't care if they are bandwagon fans or pink hats. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment one bit. You will never catch me whining about pretty girls going to the arena or watching the team in bars. This is not a job - being a fan is about having fun. So what if people don't know who Leon Powe is. What does it matter?

I don't get this elitist attitude. Your not REALLY a better person if your hardcore fan. Your likely a serious fan because you like basketball and probably played it growing up or are still playing in rec. leagues.

The only thing that might annoy me is someone who claims to be huge fan forever but doesn't really know the team. But that's just a general gripe about posing..

Pete

SPOT ON!

I love the girls with pink hats and large breasts that drink a few smirnoffs and can't stop shaking their boooty.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:07 am

wigglestrue wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm pretty goddamned tired of this attitude. It's one thing to recognize that people like us are extraordinarily dedicated to a team. It's a totally different and (Please Use More Appropriate Word) thing to expect everyone to be like us. We go above and beyond the call of duty. But most fans are average fans. And they're not "fake fans" because they're not as insanely devoted as we are. When a franchise goes through a down period, the average fans pay less attention. When a franchise starts winning again, they pay more attention. It's natural. It's what most people do. Every fanbase has a bell curve of devotion. Every fanbase has a smallish core of hardcore fans, a massive number of off-and-on average fans, and -- when winning -- a smallish pile of totally clueless bandwagoners. Any fan who claims their fanbase isn't like that is lying.

The Magic were my favorite team when I started to really watch basketball in Shaqs rc year my Brother liked the Celtics so I hated them once Shaq left the Magic I had no favorite team until 98 when I just decided to start liking the celtics and have seen about 80% of the games ever since.

and yes every fan base is like that
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#48 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:11 am

wigglestrue wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No man, it's called being real, and fair.

IF YOU'RE A GREAT BIG OL' DIEHARD HARDCORE CELTICS FAN, THEN ACT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE AND DON'T BEGRUDGE NEW FANS THE OPPORTUNITY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH THE TEAM FOR THE FIRST TIME, BECAUSE DON'T FORGET THERE WAS A TIME WHEN YOU WEREN'T IN LOVE WITH THE CELTICS. YOU WEREN'T WEARING A LARRY BIRD JERSEY AS A FETUS.

Why do you like bandwagon fans soo much? THeyll like us until the big three are retired and then just stop watching again, theyre pathetic who have no commitment
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#49 » by GuyClinch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:13 am

Why do you like bandwagon fans soo much?

People tend to like people who share common interests. If someone isn't such a hard core fan but still likes something that's great.

THeyll like us until the big three are retired and then just stop watching again

So? What's wrong with that? When they stop watching ticket prices will go down and all the big games won't get sold out

theyre pathetic who have no commitment

I don't really follow how having "no commitment" to basketball games makes you "pathetic." It's only pathetic if you CLAIM to be a huge fan.

Truthfully if you THINK about it we should be thrilled about "bandwagon" fans. They are the ones that put pressure on the owners to make their teams winners.

If EVERY game sold out why would they bother creating a winnner?

Pete
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#50 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:12 am

GuyClinch wrote:
Why do you like bandwagon fans soo much?

People tend to like people who share common interests. If someone isn't such a hard core fan but still likes something that's great.

THeyll like us until the big three are retired and then just stop watching again

So? What's wrong with that? When they stop watching ticket prices will go down and all the big games won't get sold out

theyre pathetic who have no commitment

I don't really follow how having "no commitment" to basketball games makes you "pathetic." It's only pathetic if you CLAIM to be a huge fan.

Truthfully if you THINK about it we should be thrilled about "bandwagon" fans. They are the ones that put pressure on the owners to make their teams winners.

If EVERY game sold out why would they bother creating a winnner?

Pete

I guess Im just loyal type of person, not only in Basketball but life in general
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#51 » by 15th overall » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:27 am

Tricky Ricky wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I guess Im just loyal type of person, not only in Basketball but life in general

2 posts ago you admitted to being on the Orlando Magic bandwagon only to jump ship once a single player left and then hopping on the C's jock during the Pitino years.

No offense but that's pretty far from my definition of loyal.

EDIT: didn't mean to come off as big of an ass as much as I clearly did. I've seen you on these boards for a while now and had no basis to question your fanhood/dedication.

Still though, the Shaq/Magic point kinda contradicts the rest of your argument (at least to some degree), dont you think? I mean, you did jump ship.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Spike10
Ballboy

Post#52 » by Spike10 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 am

the girls are only there cos it's the "cool" thing to do with their boyfriend/husband, they can wear the cute pink hat or jersey, and sing along with the crowd and have fun. They don't know **** about the game and could care less. Mostly, they're there because they think someone (Ellsbury, Brady, Rondo, etc) is cute.

Yea, I hate cute girls who sing, have fun and watch basketball
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#53 » by GuyClinch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:34 pm

So part of your "loyalty" is hating on people who aren't as "loyal" as you? I think the C's organization would be fine without that kind of loyalty.

Pete
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#54 » by greenbeans » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:40 pm

bandwagon fannnnn OUT!!!
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#55 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:50 pm

15th overall wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

2 posts ago you admitted to being on the Orlando Magic bandwagon only to jump ship once a single player left and then hopping on the C's jock during the Pitino years.

No offense but that's pretty far from my definition of loyal.

EDIT: didn't mean to come off as big of an ass as much as I clearly did. I've seen you on these boards for a while now and had no basis to question your fanhood/dedication.

Still though, the Shaq/Magic point kinda contradicts the rest of your argument (at least to some degree), dont you think? I mean, you did jump ship.

Oh no offense taken and I totally agree with you, however I was only 11 years old then, I dont think I learned my values til a little later, Ive been watching the celtics since the pitino years watching like I said many games and have been going to about 20+ games a season since 2001
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#56 » by Tricky Ricky » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

So part of your "loyalty" is hating on people who aren't as "loyal" as you? I think the C's organization would be fine without that kind of loyalty.

Pete

Well since there in it for the $ I tend to agree with you, I just hate the people who jumped on the day we get Garnett, I dont understand how people can cheer for something one day and then something else the next

Return to Boston Celtics