ImageImageImage

no suspensions

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#21 » by JoshB914 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:23 am

^^^ Yes but I don't think the Kidd/Haywood/Stevenson compare to this. There aren't rules that result in an automatic suspension for a bad foul in the playoffs.

However, the rules do say that purposely making contact with an official or coming off the bench during an altercation warrant automatic suspensions. Stern insisted on following the letter of the law with Phoenix on this last year, but for some reason he didn't do it this time around.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#22 » by Datruth345 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:51 am

praise the baby jesus

the league go tit right this time
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
celtsloyalty
Senior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by celtsloyalty » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:30 am

it is bs that perk didn't get suspended.. but as a celtics fan i am relieved.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#24 » by Datruth345 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:41 am

there is a definite difference between what perk did and amare stoudemire and Diaw did

perk took a step forward, not running or anything, just a step to see what was going on, he was 20 feet from the action with no malicious intent no yelling not pushing nothing, just watching

when Stoudemire left the bench he didn't go far but he ran right into the middle of the ruckus and was involved, even though it was as a peacemaker

and i think thats the conclusion the league came to too
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
rhp1990
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#25 » by rhp1990 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 am

lmao wow i'm not a suns or boston fan but if i'm a Suns fan i'd say thats bull crap
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#26 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 am

Well the Owners meet over the summer and didn't change the law, but they probuly agreed upon opening for interpetation.

ZaZa didn't headbut KG. Crap like thinking that is EXACTLY why I whatch TNT and not Mike and whoever. Listening to CSNE feels like talk radio where they just scream their skewed view on you constantly and don't let you think for yourself.

Zaza got face to face with KG. and touched momentairly, that's not a headbut.
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#27 » by WTFsunsFTW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:33 am

I see how it is...
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,106

Post#28 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:17 pm

JoshB914 wrote:^^^ Yes but I don't think the Kidd/Haywood/Stevenson compare to this. There aren't rules that result in an automatic suspension for a bad foul in the playoffs.

However, the rules do say that purposely making contact with an official or coming off the bench during an altercation warrant automatic suspensions. Stern insisted on following the letter of the law with Phoenix on this last year, but for some reason he didn't do it this time around.

Please quit making stuff up about the KG incident. It was pretty obviously that the ref grabbed KG and that he had no idea that it was even a ref holding him. Now plesase go back to your board.

Now the Perk/Williams stuff is more fuzzy b/c there was such a hubub last year during the Pheonix series
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#29 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Figured Marvin and Perk would get the boot because they stepped on the court and Stu/Stern said that they'd strictly enforce that rule. Did not firmly believe KG would because he would've been chucked if the ref thought he elbowed him; plus the refs generally like Garnett and likely gave him the benefit of the doubt.

For those complaining about the Suns vs. this time, I say that 2 wrongs don't make a right. He may never publicly admit it, but Stern knows he screwed up big time last year in that Spurs series. Doing it twice just to stay consistent is dumb. Move forward and make the right choices from then on, whether or not you admit past failures.
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#30 » by DorfonCeltics » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm

Gomes3PC wrote: Doing it twice just to stay consistent is dumb. Move forward and make the right choices from then on, whether or not you admit past failures.

I completely agree with your whole post. This is a big move by Stu and Stern to basically admit they were wrong and reinterpret the rules going forward. I think it's a big step for the NBA in the right direction too. I'll give them a lot of props because this is something they have not done in the past.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#31 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:18 pm

DorfonCeltics wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I completely agree with your whole post. This is a big move by Stu and Stern to basically admit they were wrong and reinterpret the rules going forward. I think it's a big step for the NBA in the right direction too. I'll give them a lot of props because this is something they have not done in the past.

Not only that, it shouldn't be a blanket rule but rather a case-by-case basis. Did the guys on the Suns last year do ANYTHING to escalate the situation? No, so they shouldn't have been suspended. Same with Perk and Williams. Now if they had entered the fray, DEFINITELY. But this was the right call, and the one against the Suns last year was the WRONG call.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics