ImageImageImage

nice little stat to look at for games in Atlanta (obvious)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#41 » by meatball sub » Sat May 3, 2008 4:34 am

maddbaron wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

again doesnt matter. u have the 3 best players in the conference on your team....free throws shouldnt decide the series with the 3 best players on your team....kg's a former mvp isnt he? why not carry the team?

Hawks....they got extra free throws tonite and only won by 3 against the big 3....
thats simply unacceptable...

If you watched the game you would see that we would have won tonight if not for a BS ticky tack foul (especially for a 6th) was called on Paul Pierce and then he was t'd up (his own fault). This was the biggest play of the game because they counted the basket and then gave ZaZa a free throw. It made absolutely no sense and was one of the shadiest examples of officiating I've ever seen.

Those 3 points were the difference + they took out our best player.

To call the foul is one thing, but then counting the basket when he didn't foul Childress was what is making me so upset.
kakopedi1
Junior
And1: 4

Post#42 » by kakopedi1 » Sat May 3, 2008 4:35 am

MONEY MONEY MONEY. The NBA made a ton of MONEY with whats going on in ATL.

We shoule really screw Stern now by losing game 7 and the Cavs sweep the Hawks.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#43 » by Rip2137 » Sat May 3, 2008 4:38 am

bove310 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We intentionally fouled once tonight and maybe 2-3 times in game 4. That's another weak argument you just presented.

You fouled Joe Johnson and Mike bibby intentionally tonight.

You also did it 4 times in game 4. Thats another 8 freethrows. And had 2 defensive 3 violations. Thats 10 freethrows in game 4 that came from non basketball.

Its not a weak argument...look at a boxscore.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#44 » by Rip2137 » Sat May 3, 2008 4:41 am

If you watched the game you would see that we would have won tonight if not for a BS ticky tack foul (especially for a 6th) was called on Paul Pierce and then he was t'd up (his own fault). This was the biggest play of the game because they counted the basket and then gave ZaZa a free throw. It made absolutely no sense and was one of the shadiest examples of officiating I've ever seen.

To call the foul is one thing, but then counting the basket when he didn't foul Childress was what is making me so upset.

Thats a normal basketball play for when you foul away from the ball. Why are you upset about simple rules?
maddbaron
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#45 » by maddbaron » Sat May 3, 2008 4:41 am

kg is your best player...where was he?
this isn't a wade situation....
u cant blame the refs for the losses...boston just doesnt want the win.
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#46 » by meatball sub » Sat May 3, 2008 4:43 am

Rip2137 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You fouled Joe Johnson and Mike bibby intentionally tonight.

You also did it 4 times in game 4. Thats another 8 freethrows. And had 2 defensive 3 violations. Thats 10 freethrows in game 4 that came from non basketball.

Its not a weak argument...look at a boxscore.

Touche.
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#47 » by meatball sub » Sat May 3, 2008 4:45 am

maddbaron wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

kg is your best player...where was he?
this isn't a wade situation....
u cant blame the refs for the losses...boston just doesnt want the win.

I have said several times that we had our chances to win. All I'm saying is that without the refs aid this series would've been over in 5 and Stern is just trying to revive basketball in ATL. When we win by 15+ in game 7 I'll forget all about this. But for right now, I'm pissed off and can't believe I just saw a repeat of game 4.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,791

Post#48 » by The Corey's » Sat May 3, 2008 4:49 am

ill say it one more time, regardless of outcome of this series, this is just a base for future ones.

how do we expect the celtics to play under pressure against a team that is actually good?

not taking anything away from the hawks, but this really is the worst series i think ive ever witnessed.
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#49 » by meatball sub » Sat May 3, 2008 4:50 am

I think this will kinda settle my stance on this entire thing...

Top 5 reasons why the Celtics haven't finished this series yet:

1. Doc Rivers
2. Joe Johnson
3. Settling for outside shots
4. Officiating
5. Scalabrine (just because)
Vincent Burnett
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#50 » by Vincent Burnett » Sat May 3, 2008 8:42 am

Its **** stern's doing! A ref testified that he bet on games other refs refed because he knew that they were biased against certains teams. D. stern ask the refs if they also bet, which was supposed to be against the rules. They said that they did. **** stern says np.

**** stern doesnt care about the game he is a marketeer and is only interested in the money and screwwing the Cs.

Sincerely Vincenzo
BMiller52
RealGM

Post#51 » by BMiller52 » Sat May 3, 2008 10:51 am

If anyone thinks that Stern wants to screw your team you're being ridiculous here. Why would he want to screw the most storried franchise in the league? Why would he want to mess up a potential Lakers/Celtics final that'd be like a throwback to the glory days of the 80s? Seriously that makes no sense.

The Hawks got more FTs because they're more athletic and have an easier time getting to the basket.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#52 » by 15th overall » Sat May 3, 2008 4:15 pm

BMiller52 wrote:If anyone thinks that Stern wants to screw your team you're being ridiculous here. Why would he want to screw the most storried franchise in the league?

You know that scene in Die Hard: With a Vengeance when McClane gets dropped off in Harlem wearing nothing but a giant white sign that says "I hate [black people]"?

This board is Harlem, your McClane.

Really though, that's both a touchy subject for Celtic fans and an ill-informed "opinion" you got there. Stern's distaste for this franchise is pretty well documented, he's got a laundry list of screw jobs he's pulled in Boston.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#53 » by The Rondo Show » Sat May 3, 2008 4:42 pm

BMiller52 wrote:If anyone thinks that Stern wants to screw your team you're being ridiculous here. Why would he want to screw the most storried franchise in the league? Why would he want to mess up a potential Lakers/Celtics final that'd be like a throwback to the glory days of the 80s? Seriously that makes no sense.

The Hawks got more FTs because they're more athletic and have an easier time getting to the basket.
I'm not saying Stern is ordering his refs to screw the Celtics, because I doubt he is. Regardless of whether he told them or not, the Celtics did indeed get screwed big time last night. 47 free throws is really just absurd and the call on Pierce was just insane and hasn't been made all year.

As for why Stern would possibly want to screw the Celtics; a game 7 with a story line like the 37 win Hawks upsetting the 66 win, big market Celtics would and is bringing in huge money for the league.

I'm sure he doesn't want to Celtics to lose the series and I'd be stunned if the refs screw over the Celtics in their own house, but the Celtics losing game 6 has certainly helped the league make more money and the ratings for tomorrow's game will more than likely be the best of any playoff game yet and all the talk about how massive an upset this would be gets casual fans interested in the game.

But again, I don't think Stern wants to screw over the Celtics and I don't think the refs were under any orders. They were just flat out bad on their own and heavily favored Atlanta...maybe they were intimidated by the crowd or whatever, but the Celtics definitely got screwed last night.

The ridiculous call on Pierce, the foul on Ray where Bibby slipped and Ray made virtually ZERO contact and 47 free throws. It was a horrible and mostly one-sided officiated game.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,110

Post#54 » by UGA Hayes » Sat May 3, 2008 4:46 pm

Also I think the refs really lost their cool last night. I've been to several Hawks game and lets just say that was very atypical crowd last night and they did a very good job being loud.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#55 » by LL Cool Scott » Sat May 3, 2008 4:55 pm

If you want to get to the free throw line, you attack the basket. Fairly simple. This thread is pathetic.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#56 » by The Rondo Show » Sat May 3, 2008 4:57 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:If you want to get to the free throw line, you attack the basket. Fairly simple. This thread is pathetic.
They attacked the hoop plenty and outscored Atlanta in the paint. The refs just allowed the Hawks to play physical D, didn't allow the Celtics to play physical D and threw in a few phantom calls against the Celtics to boot.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#57 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat May 3, 2008 4:59 pm

The 6th foul on Pierce was an absolute abomination of a call. The other calls against him were iffy too. COME ON NOW. He nudged Zaza in the trenches with 4 minutes left in the fourth quarter. It has to be a tackle or a blatant over the back for a foul to be called down there in crunchtime in the playoffs. That was just inexcusable.

Losing Pierce is so meaningful for so many reasons. Number one being that they could load up on Ray Allen (which they did) and number two that Pierce is our number one offensive player. He is our best offensive player and he was gone from the game from a ticky tack foul call in crunchtime of a playoff game by a clown ref who thinks he is bigger than the game.
Gerald3Wallace
Assistant Coach
And1: 99

Post#58 » by Gerald3Wallace » Sat May 3, 2008 5:03 pm

ive been watch the series closely...and the celts seem to shoot more than they drive..getting points in the paint will not always mean u got hit...the hawks dont play much D..do you know how many times you guys got point blank shots?? and you guys are a very physical and good derfesncive team so whenever they drive, theres always a guy or 2 in the paint ready to contend..

you guys shoulda handled this in 4 games...but failed..

theres been a couple bad officiating on both sides, but let me tell ya...the hawks took it to you guys man.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#59 » by tfmiii » Sat May 3, 2008 7:49 pm

Rip2137 wrote:How exactly do you suggest your team get freethrows? The Hawks are a team of slashers. The Celtics are only taking Jumpers. Are you watching the games. Outside of Rondo and Pierce(sometimes) no one is going to the rim. At all.

The Hawks were number 7 in the NBA in FTA per game for a reason.

Well, I think we have to temper our remarks a bit: Leon Powe, Perkins, Pierce and Rondo all go to the hole and/or do heavy lifting under the offiensive hoop for us. Both Pierce and esp Rondo have been manhandled without calls. Even Garnett gets into it when going for the offensive board, so it is not as black and white 'jump-shooting vs slashing' as some would like it to be. All of them have been getting mauled, but hey, it's playoff basketball. I think the anger comes from the perceived discrepancy between the ruggedness of play on one end and the number of touch fouls on the other.

And all those fouls do more than just give the Hawks easy opportunities to score. It allows them to set their defense - a big key, and to rest their players (they have a shorter rotation). The Celts have been playing the same D for 82+ games - it is a key to their offense and the basic reason for their record. Now - all of a sudden - it results in 30+ fouls?? It is like telling a team that sorry, what you did to get to tthe playoffs will no longer be allowed.

It is a sad commentary on officiating in the NBA that it is so bad that it is hard to tell when a team is getting jobbed or if it is just another bad day at the office for the refs. Part of that is that Stern has basically enabled the refs to call a foul on every play. So you can look at each play individually and say (on most of them) 'well, there could have been a foul there.' The problem is not that there could have been a foul, but the lack of consistency.

It was consistent last night for three quarters (I would say consistently bad) but in the 4th quarter the discrepancy in FTA went 15-2. Are you seriously saying in all the action under the basket and around the ball, the two teams differed in effort and physical aggression to the point that the Cs were basically slugging the Hawks, who were themselves choir boys? Well, of course not. But that is what was basically reflected by the calls. The reason for that was a lot of touch calls that were going one way.

I am one who agrees that the Cs should have won regardless, but nevertheless the discrepancy is pretty striking, right up there with Suns-Sonics in 94(?) and of course lakers-Kings.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by conleyorbust » Sat May 3, 2008 10:14 pm

bove310 wrote:This thread pretty much sums up how I feel. The refs kept the Hawks in this series by HANDING them games 4 and 6...

IMO, the Hawks won on their own in game 3 and that's it.

Maybe if your best player didn't take fadeaways in crunch time your team would get more FTs...

You act like teams are supposed to get = amounts of FTs... You have to earn them. Boston loves jump shots and Atlanta loves to drive.

Return to Boston Celtics