ImageImageImage

I miss this Paul Pierce.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#21 » by mr_sunshine » Sun May 11, 2008 6:09 am

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:Pierce isn't fat and he's just as good driving to the hoop as he's ever been. Now he has two other scorers on the court with him -- plus he's playing D harder than ever before.

That's just flat out wrong. Even when does manage to get to the rim he can't finish hard anymore. How many times did he throw down on someone this season? Honestly, between Pierce not driving as hard and Ray struggling who is a finisher on this team?
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#22 » by The Rondo Show » Sun May 11, 2008 8:15 am

I'd have to agree with the crowd saying he's overweight and nowhere near as explosive while going to the hoop as he used to be. He's not a pig by any means, but I think he could drop quite a few pounds in the off-season and get that explosiveness (and better stamina) back.

I'd just prefer having the old PP in terms of offense as we've got enough jump shooters on this team already and his past ability to attack the rim relentlessly would be a huge addition to an offense that gets jump shot happy a bit too often. I'd love to see him combine that old explosiveness with his jump shot that gets better and better every year. He'd be damn near unstoppable.

With that said, I definitely can't complain about his play. He's playing All-NBA caliber D (or at least very close to it) and he's still a pretty damn good scorer and a solid passer as well.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#23 » by JCizzle » Sun May 11, 2008 9:13 am

Not complaining or anything, but every time I watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSfIAb8G0_I I can't help but think that he's lost a few steps/conditioning. He just looked so much more dangerous when he was leaner. Don't take it as criticism, just an opinion. Obviously that was 6 years ago too.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#24 » by mr_sunshine » Sun May 11, 2008 9:42 am

That team had guts. If **** Fatoine can get a team fired up like that, how come KG and Sam can't?
PPAW4Life
Banned User

Post#25 » by PPAW4Life » Sun May 11, 2008 12:08 pm

It's safe to say that the "taking-over-the-game-unleash-the-Truth-I-own-the-4th-quarter" Paul Pierce is gone ever since Ainge and Doc Rivers came aboard and started reeling him in.

Pierce had so much offensive freedom back then it was much easier for him to get hot and on a roll that nobody could stop.

Now he is taking less shots than his PG!
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#26 » by grantlongforpresident » Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

idiots.
Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Re: I miss this Paul Pierce. 

Post#27 » by Big Baby » Sun May 11, 2008 8:05 pm

mr_sunshine wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMoUXZxVipQ&feature=related

I know it's a Toine and Pierce highlight vid, but I miss this Pierce. The guy who was super aggressive and always played like he was the best guy on the court no matter what. The guy who wanted it in his hands at the end of the guy. The guy who would take it hard to the hole and throw it down someone's throat.

Where is this Pierce at? I know he's focusing more on the defensive end now, but I really think to win the championship at some point or another Pierce will have to take over a game like he used. He'll have to get his swagger going and take it hard to the hole instead of just settling for 3s. Honestly, how many dunks did Paul have this year? I can recall about one time where he threw down hard. I hope he kicks it up a notch soon, because I miss this Pierce. He was my favorite player to watch, but now he's not nearly as exciting and explosive in my opinion.

I miss this Pierce, too, but he's been replaced by some guy named "Ubuntu."
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#28 » by ermocrate » Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 pm

mr_sunshine wrote:That team had guts. If **** Fatoine can get a team fired up like that, how come KG and Sam can't?
The supporting cast was different, very different...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Al-Haqq
Starter

Post#29 » by Al-Haqq » Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am

Some of the responses on here are just straight up silly!

Paul Pierce is fat, he needs to lose weight, needs to be explosive, needs to gain stamina ... are you serious?!

This is one of the most durable swingmen in the entire league! He rarely misses games during a season [bar last year], plays a lot of minutes and starts all of his games, and puts up very respectable numbers. This is also the guy who a season or two ago beat his team in suicides by running the last few laps backwards!

I'm sorry, but fat, slow people don't do what he does. He was a fat kid, but the thing with Pierce is that he doesn't have much muscle mass. He is naturally a broad and big individual.

To add, he will lose explosiveness as he gets older, but he does play the game a lot smarter, and is more of a fundamental base player than most other dynamic swingmen.

Some guys don't have a definitive jaw line. Examples include - Baron Davis, Chris Paul.

Repeat, Pierce is not fat, and don't confuse it with muscle mass, or in his case, a lack of - but that hasn't prevented him from being great.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Al-Haqq wrote:
Repeat, Pierce is not fat, and don't confuse it with muscle mass, or in his case, a lack of - but that hasn't prevented him from being great.

your right hes just big boned

Return to Boston Celtics