ImageImageImage

ECF Game 5 : Celtics vs Pistons - Wednesday, May 28th (2-2)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

IEcelticfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

29-0 ?!? me like .... 

Post#661 » by IEcelticfan » Thu May 29, 2008 6:55 am

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10845390/2

BOSTON -- They almost gave it away. They tried. They really tried.

In ocean of choke jobs, this would have been the Titanic. In the history of gagging, this game might've been the love child of Greg Norman and Scott Norwood.

Rasheed Wallace and Detroit should be worried entering Friday's Game 6. The Celtics hung on the beat the Pistons 106-102, and a win is a win is a win. No question.

And Boston's win means the Celtics are probably going to take this Eastern Conference finals.

A Boston-L.A. Lakers Finals is all but a foregone conclusion so fire up the ratings machine and corporate jet, Commissioner Stern, it's West Coast versus East Coast. Maybe Ice Cube and Wu-Tang can have a rap-off at halftime.

The only thing left to do is roll Jack Nicholson out of his coffin and begin the Larry and Magic retrospectives.

The reason why it's looking like the Celtics and Lakers is due to one stunning statistic: 29-0.

The Celtics are 29-0 in series when leading 3-2. That's an incredible number. It's not just a mountain for the Pistons to climb, it's John Daly's belly.

Twenty-nine and uh oh, if you're the Pistons.

And I see no reason why the genetics of Boston's history of closing out foes won't trickle down, chromosome to chromosome, to this bunch.

The only problem is the way Boston finished the game. It wasn't exactly how McHale's Celtics used to close out teams, eh?

That's why this contest was so pivotal and a Boston collapse would have been so devastating. History shows that the winner of Game 5 usually moves on.

And the Celtics will. You can almost count on it.

But coach Doc Rivers will have to initiate some serious healing and spinning both in and outside of the locker room. Boston gave up a 17-point, second-half lead at home and limped to the finish line. That could have some ugly consequences for Game 6 if Rivers and the Celtics aren't careful.

"(That) was the longest fourth quarter out of all the games we played in," Paul Pierce said. "I was a little disappointed the way we played the fourth quarter ... we're going to have to go back and look at it because if we get ourselves in this position again in Detroit we've got to be able to close the game out a little bit better than we did tonight."

The numbers are against Detroit, but this isn't to say the Pistons won't gut out a Game 6 victory. The problem for Detroit is winning two consecutive games against Boston. Good luck with that.

Particularly since the Celtics have the last game at home and the Pistons are 4-9 in series when trailing 3-2. Teams that capture Game 5 win the series 83 percent of the time. That's more statistical combustibles for the Pistons bon fire the Celtics will eventually end up lighting.

The Pistons are of course more than statistics and trends. They're heart, guts and sinew. They have not become one of the great franchises by being soft. They've been elite because they're tough. We witnessed that toughness in Game 4. It was as if the Pistons knew a loss in this game would be nearly disastrous. Trust me: Detroit knows all of the numbers as well.

Two key moments of late Celtics tomfoolery severely hurt Boston. Guard Rajon Rondo, with 2:54 left, committed one of the most knuckleheaded fouls you'll ever see. He smacked Chauncey Billups in the act of shooting from behind the 3-point line. Billups made all three free throws. Then, in another act of stupidity, Kendrick Perkins was called for a technical foul just seconds after Rondo's mental lapse.

It wasn't the prettiest win for the Celtics but it was a win. Now, not even the Pistons can overcome the overwhelming odds staring them in the face.

With the exception of their lazy fourth, the Celtics unleashed the perfect storm of near dominance. Kevin Garnett came up big with a game-high 33 points (the people who say he can't take a team on his back in big spots need to shut up now), Boston bruised Detroit inside and Ray Allen's ghetto body double finally went home. The real Allen scored 29 points and made five of six 3-point shots.

Perkins, in spite of his technical, was huge. He had 18 points and 16 rebounds. He destroyed Rasheed Wallace inside.

"Perkins is eating us up," Detroit coach Flip Saunders said. "The games that they've won, he's had big games."

No, it wasn't pretty but the Celtics did it.

29-0.

How's the weather in Los Angeles this time of year?

:clap:
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#662 » by Kefa461 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 am

mainevent3405 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, that point I do agree with, but we are ONE win away from the finals. :clap: As ugly as it was down the stretch, the facts are the facts. For a first year team you HAVE to be satisfied with where we are. Understand, Detroit is a veteran team that's been together for quite a while. SIX STRAIGHT YEARS in the Conference finals and we are on the brink of eliminating them in really our FIRST full year together. You cant tell me you are not impressed with that. We are learning every single game in these playoffs. Tough win, easy win, seven game series.....its all a learning experience. THAT is my point.

And a fine point my friend and I for one understand and appreciate the point. :nod: ...... 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
DieselCeltic
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#663 » by DieselCeltic » Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 am

What an ugly game man. First I was so excited with that huge lead but I knew Detroit would storm right back in. But win is a win so I'll take it with my arms open. I am really happy for Ray Allen having a good game. I hope he carries it over to Detroit on Friday. Perk looked and played like an ALL-STAR. If he can play at that level VS Detroit he can play like that every single night. His foot work is just so good now and those fade-a-ways are siiiick. You can thank KG for that. You can tell he thought Perk a thing or two.

It's true that our starters played wayyyyyy too many minutes but they played great and I'm glad Doc didn't change the line-up. Cassell is a fluke and should not be with the C's next year. I don't want him as a player, or as a coach or anything. Maybe a janitor.

Rondo had a rough time but he had 13 assists so I can live with him not scoring.

Let's finish this thing on Friday and start getting ready for the Finals.

We need some well deserved rest. Cannot play game 7. We would win but we are just too tired. Lakers will probably close this out tonight and will be resting and preparing for either us or the Piss-tons.

Get it done C's.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#664 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu May 29, 2008 7:00 pm

A win is a win. Let's close this thing out in game 6 and move on to the last 4 wins to bring #17 home!!!!!!!!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#665 » by TommyPoints » Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if LA beats SA tonight and we manage to beat Detroit in game 6, it would be sweet if the Detroit fans got the BEAT LA chant going.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#666 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm

CelticGamecock wrote:Not to get ahead of ourselves, but if LA beats SA tonight and we manage to beat Detroit in game 6, it would be sweet if the Detroit fans got the BEAT LA chant going.

With the way they are in Detroit, I'd be afraid of the fans coming out of the stands onto the floor to beat up our team!!!

If and when we beat them tomorrow night I predict a lot of classlessness toward us.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics