ImageImageImage

Simmons is at it again

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Simmons is at it again 

Post#1 » by DorfonCeltics » Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Now he says that nobody is beating the Lakers because they are the best team with the best player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/080530
Double-Overtime
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by Double-Overtime » Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

i would like to kidnap and torture bill simmons..
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 7:49 pm

"If being an NBA superstar was like playing "Grand Theft Auto," then that would be the final mission, right?"

Another completely stupid pop culture reference to cap of paragraph after paragraph of crap. Just because you're front-runner, Bill, doesn't mean Celtics Nation agrees with you.

And I can't stand people who want to sound cool by saying "Pfft. I was there in the 80s. Basketball was better in the 80s. Every single player on every single team never complained about being tired, never flopped, never made a bad decision EVER, were always classy even though the game was more physical (?), and every single player, right down to the 12th guy on the last place team, would have wiped the floor with any of today's superstars (except for Kobe)."

F this guy. He should go have another slap fight with Dane "I'm Not Funny!" Cook.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#4 » by cloverleaf » Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Haven't kept up, has Simmons made the move yet from being a Clippers season ticket holder to being a Lakers season ticket holder?

Still, you gotta admit that Simmons has as good a bead on Doc as anyone...
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#5 » by GWVan » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 pm

He thinks he cursed the Patriots - he's trying to do a reverse jinx on the Celtics
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#6 » by GonzoLays » Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 pm

You can count on your fringer how many positive artiocles Simmons wrote about the C's this year.

He didn't enjoy the ride whatsoever because of his misguided hate for Doc Rivers. He said for years that Doc Rivers is a bad coach so no matter what the Celtics did this year, Simmons had to save face and continue to bash Doc Rivers and not enjoy the season we had.

Check out his last three articles about the Cs, completely negative. Terrible.

He wasn't like this when the Red Sox started to win. He wasn't like this when the Patriots started to win.

But the Celtics? He has killed in print.

**** him. I cant stand the guy now.
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#7 » by CelticsWhat! » Fri May 30, 2008 7:54 pm

It's funny how we "live and die" by jump shots, yet routinely outscore our opponents in the paint.
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#8 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 pm

GonzoLays wrote:You can count on your fringer how many positive artiocles Simmons wrote about the C's this year.

He didn't enjoy the ride whatsoever because of his misguided hate for Doc Rivers. He said for years that Doc Rivers is a bad coach so no matter what the Celtics did this year, Simmons had to save face and continue to bash Doc Rivers and not enjoy the season we had.

Check out his last three articles about the Cs, completely negative. Terrible.

He wasn't like this when the Red Sox started to win. He wasn't like this when the Patriots started to win.

But the Celtics? He has killed in print.

**** him. I cant stand the guy now.

Perfectly said Gonzo. I'm with you: I used to be a fan, but reading Simmon's incessant hatred of Doc Rivers is like reading any left-winger write about George W. Bush or any right-winger write about Bill Clinton
CelticsWhat!
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#9 » by CelticsWhat! » Fri May 30, 2008 8:06 pm

It's pretty stupid how he compared the crowd and the atmosphere for both game 5's. Big difference between a 3-1 series and a 2-2 series. And it's a load of crap about how the fans were confident, even being down 17. The fans were booing the Lakers during the 1st half of game 1.

This was just yet another one of Simmons's "hedging his bets" articles. If he's right, he feels smart and can say the all important "I told you so". If he's wrong, the team he's rooted for all his life wins a championship (provided the Celtics get past the Pistons).
"If you drop a phonograph needle on Brasky's nipple, it plays the Beach Boys' 'Pet Sounds.'"
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#10 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:08 pm

CelticsWhat! wrote:It's pretty stupid how he compared the crowd and the atmosphere for both game 5's. Big difference between a 3-1 series and a 2-2 series. And it's a load of crap about how the fans were confident, even being down 17. The fans were booing the Lakers during the 1st half of game 1.

This was just yet another one of Simmons's "hedging his bets" articles. If he's right, he feels smart and can say the all important "I told you so". If he's wrong, the team he's rooted for all his life wins a championship (provided the Celtics get past the Pistons).

CelticsWhat! FTW. Typical smarmy, all-knowing "journalism." He should write editorials for the NYT.
kgcelts5
Ballboy

Post#11 » by kgcelts5 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:10 pm

I am a simmons fan. However it angers me that simmons refuses to just enjoy the ride. When we got KG he said that the important thing is the celtics are relevant again. well now they are not only relevant again but one win away from the NBA finals. Simmons, why do you see the need for all this negativity??? in the last twenty years there hasn't been a better time to be a celtics fan
kgcelts5
Ballboy

Post#12 » by kgcelts5 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:12 pm

and the crowds at the garden are louder and more into the game because we are better fans, not cuz we aren't confident.

showing up midway through the second quarter does not suggest that you are "confident fans" it suggests that you are bandwagon fans that don't give a crap about the game
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#13 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:13 pm

kgcelts5 wrote:I am a simmons fan. However it angers me that simmons refuses to just enjoy the ride. When we got KG he said that the important thing is the celtics are relevant again. well now they are not only relevant again but one win away from the NBA finals. Simmons, why do you see the need for all this negativity??? in the last twenty years there hasn't been a better time to be a celtics fan

Negativity sells, I guess.... Plus, since the rest of the country is sick of Boston sports, it gives him "cred" by stroking L.A.
kgcelts5
Ballboy

Post#14 » by kgcelts5 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 pm

yeah good point. too bad simmons is selling out like that. i can't believe he is the face of Boston sports
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#15 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:22 pm

kgcelts5 wrote:yeah good point. too bad simmons is selling out like that. i can't believe he is the face of Boston sports

That's the thing! Boston fans don't need a face. "Boston" fans comprise five-and-a-half states (I'm not counting western Connecticut) and we all have different opinions. He can have an opinion all he wants, but I hate how he holds himself out to be a representative Boston fan. Whatever.
kgcelts5
Ballboy

Post#16 » by kgcelts5 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I agree...he has carefully constructed himself in that role. its annoying when friends of mine that aren't Boston fans quote simmons articles and his opinions like it represents the sentiments of all of Boston fans
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#17 » by Athanacropolis » Fri May 30, 2008 8:32 pm

Yes. And of course he had to throw in a Grady Little reference....
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#18 » by Banks2Pierce » Fri May 30, 2008 8:37 pm

I think he lost me as a fan with this terrible article.
Big Baby Burger
Freshman

Post#19 » by Big Baby Burger » Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm

As I've said about Simmons' work throughout the season: Bill just isn't able to enjoy it all because everything he's railed against for the past 3 seasons has proven to be all-for-naught. He just won't allow himself to enjoy the Celtics because Doc is still at the helm; Pierce is showing once and for all that he can lead a team deep into the playoffs; Danny really did have a 5 year plan and so on. Virtually every single thing he's harped on about the C's in the past few years has blown up in his face and he's too proud to write the "I was wr...wr...wr...wrong" column.

There's still time, but I'll lose prety much all respect I have for the guy if it comes after the Finals. To me, that's just chickenbleep. Seems like he wants to convert to a Lakers fan anyway, with all the praising of their fans, etc. I guess that's the end result of him moving to LA - completely lose touch with the fanbase and, ultimately, leave it altogether.

Of course, the Celtics could still lose to the Pistons and then Simmons will be free to revel in his new-found Lakers fandom.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#20 » by CeltsfaninDC » Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 pm

GWVan wrote:He thinks he cursed the Patriots - he's trying to do a reverse jinx on the Celtics
This is whats actually going on.

Return to Boston Celtics