ImageImageImage

Refs for Game 5

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Refs for Game 5 

Post#1 » by P2 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Dick Bavetta
Scott Foster
Ken Mauer

We had Bavetta and Foster in Game 1, and Mauer in Game 2. So what do you think?
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Re: Refs for Game 5 

Post#2 » by Athanacropolis » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:53 pm

Screw the refs. The Celtics can do this thing. They've won road games in the playoffs despite the refs Detroit and game 4). They can do it again!

Although, in retrospect, other than 3 or 4 questionable calls (notably Kobe's bounce-off-the-foot turning into a Pierce charge? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ) the reffing was approaching decent in game 4, which, in the NBA, is saying something!

I still ****ing hate Mauer and Bavetta though.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#3 » by meatball sub » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:11 pm

With all the heat surrounding the scandal I doubt the NBA tries to fix the Lakers back into this series; they are clearly the inferior team and everybody knows it. The Celtics have no excuses if they don't finish the Lakers off with 2/3 of these games at home and only needing to win one.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#4 » by Kefa461 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:47 pm

We don't worry about the refs ...we are the better team....... 8)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#5 » by jfs1000d » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Considering all the controversy around Bavetta, I can't believe the NBA is even letting him do a game now. It's unfair to Dick, but you want to just get this out of the spotlight.
LarryLegend
Lead Assistant
And1: 43

Post#6 » by LarryLegend » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Between Bavetta and Mauer, I'm not sure how the Celtics can compete 5 on 7.
CelticsStuffLive.com, Sundays at Nine!
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Dirty Water » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:21 pm

We do have the better team, but I won't be surprised if we lose tonight. Lakers are at home and backs are against the wall. We will probably win in 6, but that's just a hunch.

DON'T GET ME WRONG I'D LOVE TO WIN TONIGHT... GO C's!
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Rocky5000 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:26 pm

Haha, Bavetta better not screw up. He's going to be under a microscope tonight.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#9 » by sully00 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:52 pm

It is kind of ridiculous that Bavetta is doing the game but what can you expect? The conspiracy isn't on him it is on Stern anyhow, the given official doesn't matter, and we all know that would be Salvatore. If it is true the league and Stern are in so much friggin trouble that who refed what game isn't going to matter a damn.
Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Post#10 » by Big Baby » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:24 am

Did anyone notice how Jeff Van Gundy completely gagged himself tonight? I'm not just talking about all the blown calls that went against the C's. But I found it funny that after being so vocal about the referees' inconsistencies throughout the playoffs, JVG has suddenly decided to shut himself up tonight. And it was even funnier when they were showing all the blown calls in their ultra slow-mo. JVG was like, "You may be able to argue that was a foul..." or "Maybe there wasn't a lot there..."

JVG...I was just beginning to gain some respect for the man, but he showed absolutely no balls tonight.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#11 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Considering all the controversy around Bavetta, I can't believe the NBA is even letting him do a game now. It's unfair to Dick, but you want to just get this out of the spotlight.

Exactly what I was thinking. And while the FT totals were just about equal, there sure was some good down-home home-cookin' toward the end (Kobe's "steal"? Kobe not out of bounds??)
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,312

Post#12 » by Red2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 pm

I can't say they were horrible but as usual Mauer found a way to screw us on several calls. pierce was mugged on that rebound in traffic he got late in the 4th and there was no call. kobe also got him on the body with that"steal" but I'm ok with letting that go. the ticky tacky fouls on KG were stupid on KG's part but at least one or two of those should never have been called- not in game 5 of the Finals. it seems like the modern refs don't have any sense of when to let players play. they interrupt the game with all these bs petty calls.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#13 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Red2 wrote:I can't say they were horrible but as usual Mauer found a way to screw us on several calls. pierce was mugged on that rebound in traffic he got late in the 4th and there was no call. kobe also got him on the body with that"steal" but I'm ok with letting that go. the ticky tacky fouls on KG were stupid on KG's part but at least one or two of those should never have been called- not in game 5 of the Finals. it seems like the modern refs don't have any sense of when to let players play. they interrupt the game with all these bs petty calls.

They only let them play, it seems, in the last minute or two when actual fouls are committed by a team the league loves (gee, what are the chances it'd be the Lakers TWICE in the same postseason)...

A foul is a foul no matter who commits it, who it's directed at, or when during the game. Pierce should have had 2 FTs last night after Kobe's "steal" and we should have gotten the ball back after Kobe "saved" the ball after House's 3.

Ah well...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics