ImageImageImage

Enough of Doc Rivers praise!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Enough of Doc Rivers praise! 

Post#1 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 am

There was just too much praise for Rivers lately. We need another Doc is a terrible coach thread. Everytime we had one he coached better in the next games.

He was a big reason we lost the game today when he had Rondo in in the second half for too long. In that short stretch LA went up by 7 and all momentum went their way. I think we have all seen that Rondo just can`t play more than 10 minutes per game because when he is in our offense doesn`t function. Rivers needs to play Eddie or even Sam at PG, there just isn`t any other way.

So, Doc, poor job today!
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Re: Enough of Doc Rivers praise! 

Post#2 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:40 am

I hate Rondo. Ok, I admit it. I don't like flawed incomplete players. But, Doc needs that defensive presence, and he keeps on giving the kid a shot because he is the best ball handler and distributer. Ugh.

I think Doc was, and has been brilliant.
BlameTheRefs
Sixth Man
And1: 338

Post#3 » by BlameTheRefs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 am

What ticks me off is when a player on the team is hot, and then he goes MIA for a long, long time. Where was Tony Allen in the second half? This was a whole different team with him on the court, but when the 3rd quarter came, he was nowhere to be found. Big mistake by Doc.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#4 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:50 am

God forbid a 2nd year point guard struggles on the road for two straight games. I honestly cannot believe how fickle some people on this board are. Rondo is far from perfect, but the guy is an extremely hard worker, constantly fighting to get us extra possessions and open looks. Sometimes he works TOO hard to get other guys the ball, at the expense of his own scoring skills.

He improved his jumper considerably from last year, and his mechanics, while still not good, are vastly improved from last year. Yes, he is a 'flawed, incomplete player.' But as a PG at his age and only starting one year, there really aren't ANY complete players. Maybe Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but they're once-in-a-decade types. Most PGs need 3-4 years to mature and complete their game. Rondo is in a maturation process, and dumping all over him after two poor showings is foolish.

These posts are just as foolish as those who were ready to trade Ray Allen for a rack of basketballs after the Cavs series. With few exceptions, if a team wants to eliminate a player from the offense, they can find a way. Heck, Boston has even found it against Kobe to some extent! You make a concerted effort to neutralize a player and you can do it. Just gives Rondo more motivation to improve that hole in his game this offseason. Just stop pretending Eddie House and Sam Cassell are these saviors who will somehow change our team forever. They are fundamentally flawed players as well, even if they are better shooters (and I'd even debate that about Cassell, he's just streakier).
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#5 » by BobbySura » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:52 am

i've begun to think that he's not HORRIBLE. he has good stretches but then makes some really bad decisions.

like tonight, tony allen comes in, plays great d and hits a few buckets. we don't see him until the last 2 minutes of the game after that. why?

we're getting beat on the boards and that's it. our offense is flowing and everything is okay except the lakers are getting too many second chances. why are our bigs powe/davis rotting on the bench?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,950

Post#6 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:03 am

Gomes3PC wrote:God forbid a 2nd year point guard struggles on the road for two straight games. I honestly cannot believe how fickle some people on this board are. Rondo is far from perfect, but the guy is an extremely hard worker, constantly fighting to get us extra possessions and open looks. Sometimes he works TOO hard to get other guys the ball, at the expense of his own scoring skills.

He improved his jumper considerably from last year, and his mechanics, while still not good, are vastly improved from last year. Yes, he is a 'flawed, incomplete player.' But as a PG at his age and only starting one year, there really aren't ANY complete players. Maybe Chris Paul or Deron Williams, but they're once-in-a-decade types. Most PGs need 3-4 years to mature and complete their game. Rondo is in a maturation process, and dumping all over him after two poor showings is foolish.

These posts are just as foolish as those who were ready to trade Ray Allen for a rack of basketballs after the Cavs series. With few exceptions, if a team wants to eliminate a player from the offense, they can find a way. Heck, Boston has even found it against Kobe to some extent! You make a concerted effort to neutralize a player and you can do it. Just gives Rondo more motivation to improve that hole in his game this offseason. Just stop pretending Eddie House and Sam Cassell are these saviors who will somehow change our team forever. They are fundamentally flawed players as well, even if they are better shooters (and I'd even debate that about Cassell, he's just streakier).

Gomes,. this is the NBA FREAKING FINALS. We dont' need apologies for 2nd year point guards. You either produce, or you sit. If Boston had any mkind of competent PG play this series would have been over tonight, or even 4 straight.

I think Rondo has improved this year, but , he hasn't improved enough. He can't shoot, and he can't score, and he is hurting the team. Shooting is all about hard work. Also, doesn't he realize what LA is trying to do? What does that say about him that he can't make the adjustment. He is either lacking talent, or not recognizing the situation.

It's troubling on both accounts.

The fact there is no true backup only magnifies his inadequacy. Each game in the NBA finals is worth like 10 games in the regular season.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#7 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:13 am

All I have to say is that if all Celtics fans can complain about after a loss is that KG was psyched out in the 4th and Rondo is not assertive enough, I LOVE our odds at home. KG feeds off the home crowd like no one else, and Rondo is WAY more aggressive on the home court. Remember how night and day he was in the Hawks series? This is basically the same as that series. When he comes back home he will return to his aggressive nature.

Is our PG situation porous right now? Yes. It is by far my biggest concern going forward. But compared with the Lakers problems (defense, hustle, interior presence, rebounding), I will take it. The Celtics problems are WAY more correctable right now.

One other thing to throw out, and not making an excuse, but it is possible that Rondo's ankle is making him a bit more tentative. If it's tweaked and he feels timid to cut hard on it or can't proper lift on his jumper, that could be the problem. Remember how meekly Tony Allen played after coming back from his ACL injury? Basketball players can be really adversely affected with leg injuries. Not saying that's what's happened, but it's something to chew on.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:19 am

Enough with the reactionary posts.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:22 pm

YA! DOC SUCKS! WE WANT SILAS DA DA DA DA DA!
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o

Return to Boston Celtics