ImageImageImage

Jamele Hill suspended by ESPN!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

mainevent3405
Banned User
And1: 0

Jamele Hill suspended by ESPN! 

Post#1 » by mainevent3405 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 am

Good for ESPN! First, a CHAMPIONSHIP night, now this. The night couldn't have gone any better for me. Me being an African American felt shame by what she wrote, and I was one of the first to email ESPN and voice my displeasure for her article (before it was edited).

Again, hats off to ESPN! #17 BABY!!!! YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bask ... xt_article
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Jamele Hill suspended by ESPN! 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:06 am

^^^^^

Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#3 » by Datruth345 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:15 am

what an amazing night!
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
jt142
Rookie

Post#4 » by jt142 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 am

This just makes everything even sweeter!

She was one of the first people to come out and bash Imus for his comments (rightly so) and also criticized a magazine for placing Lebron on its cover with a white model (I don't know what that complaint was about). She's seems to be the one who wants to make race an issue? I guess some people need an excuse for their problems. She must have a lot of hatred towards "others" for whatever reason. For her to come out and make such ridiculous comments towards the city of Boston is total hypocrisy on her part, and she should receive the exact same punishment that Imus did. As wrong as Imus' comment was, he didn't have time to correct it since almost everything on the radio is live. On the other hand, Hill had plenty of time to proofread and edit her article. If she isn't fired, then a lot of those people who were criticizing Imus (rightly so) have a lot to account for. Why is there such a double standard in American society today? If a white man or woman had made a similar comment, the public would have been even more harsh and the article would have been all over the news. While all of the media was attacking Imus' comments (rightly so), I've heard very little about any of her antics. These kind of double standards are becoming increasingly apparent in American society. As an American who loves all races, I find such idiotic rhetoric by a so-called "professional" journalist as shameful to all Americans. Any racially motivated comment by anyone, especially a journalist, should be immediately shunned by everyone. The fact that her statements have been ignored by the mass media while Imus was immediately denounced for his comments proves to me that reverse racism is accepted by the American media. Well, to me and many other of my fellow countrymen, reverse discrimination - or any form of racism - is not okay in this day and age. When can we stand as a unified nation? Unfortunately, I guess we're not quite ready yet, as this article and the media's reaction has shown.

I'm just really happy that the Celtics have won their first championship in 22 years and I hope that we can all come together as a whole - white, black, brown, etc. - to celebrate this joyous occasion.
KennerLeaguer
Junior
And1: 32

Post#5 » by KennerLeaguer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 am

One thing -- there is no such thing as reverse discrimination or reverse racism. There is just discrimination and racism, period.

Next - what exactly did she write to get herself into trouble? I'm totally in the dark. What was edited?
Markos
Starter

Post#6 » by Markos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Its writen in the article

Basically, she said rooting for the celtics was like rooting for hitler or rooting for a nuclear war
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#7 » by canman1971 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:05 pm

She should be fired, not suspended. These idiot writers need to be held accountable for their words.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm

jt142 wrote:This just makes everything even sweeter!

She was one of the first people to come out and bash Imus for his comments (rightly so) and also criticized a magazine for placing Lebron on its cover with a white model (I don't know what that complaint was about). She's seems to be the one who wants to make race an issue? I guess some people need an excuse for their problems. She must have a lot of hatred towards "others" for whatever reason. For her to come out and make such ridiculous comments towards the city of Boston is total hypocrisy on her part, and she should receive the exact same punishment that Imus did. As wrong as Imus' comment was, he didn't have time to correct it since almost everything on the radio is live. On the other hand, Hill had plenty of time to proofread and edit her article. If she isn't fired, then a lot of those people who were criticizing Imus (rightly so) have a lot to account for. Why is there such a double standard in American society today? If a white man or woman had made a similar comment, the public would have been even more harsh and the article would have been all over the news. While all of the media was attacking Imus' comments (rightly so), I've heard very little about any of her antics. These kind of double standards are becoming increasingly apparent in American society. As an American who loves all races, I find such idiotic rhetoric by a so-called "professional" journalist as shameful to all Americans. Any racially motivated comment by anyone, especially a journalist, should be immediately shunned by everyone. The fact that her statements have been ignored by the mass media while Imus was immediately denounced for his comments proves to me that reverse racism is accepted by the American media. Well, to me and many other of my fellow countrymen, reverse discrimination - or any form of racism - is not okay in this day and age. When can we stand as a unified nation? Unfortunately, I guess we're not quite ready yet, as this article and the media's reaction has shown.

I'm just really happy that the Celtics have won their first championship in 22 years and I hope that we can all come together as a whole - white, black, brown, etc. - to celebrate this joyous occasion.

Wow, great post. You wrote exactly what I--as a troglodyte, closet-racist whitey (right Ms. Hill?), of course--would have written had you not beaten me to it. Very eloquent.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#9 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:41 pm

NA NA NA, Hey,Hey,Hey Go-od Bye!
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#10 » by tombattor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:45 pm

She made a mistake and is being punished for it. That's good enough for me. Besides, I'm in too much of a good mood to wish any ill on anyone!
BigHands
Lead Assistant
And1: 126
Location: On the bow contemplating the grandeur of the iceberg

Post#11 » by BigHands » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Man she must be really upset.....

The Celtics are the champs and she shot a hole in her career bad-mouthing them....classic!

It is bad luck to anger the leprechaun.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#12 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 pm

Peace out bitch!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#13 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 pm

shes back. . . .
I know where to begin. I just don't know how to explain.

The beginning is easy: I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for being thoughtless and insensitive.

I'm sorry for making a casual reference to something that should never be construed as casual.

Real apologies don't mix with rationalizations, so I won't insult your intelligence by offering you any.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ill/080623

meh, feels quite staged and put on, but thats just me
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,739

Post#14 » by meatball sub » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 am

APOLOGIZE BITCH! BITCH, SAY YOU'RE SORRY, RIGHT NOW!!!
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#15 » by Collinto » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 am

bove310 wrote:APOLOGIZE BITCH! BITCH, SAY YOU'RE SORRY, RIGHT NOW!!!

Disclaimer: Stepping onto soapbox...

I respectfully disagree, bove. I am sick of famous people and athletes apologizing. The apology is just as thoughtless as the comment, imho. She was hypocrite when she wrote the Hitler thing, now she's cliche in apologizing. I don't believe she means it...I mean I am sure she is sorry that she almost got fired and tarnished her name, but she is not really sorry. Read this in her 'apology':

In January, I wrote about Kelly Tilghman, the Golf Channel anchor who was suspended two weeks for joking on the air that young players should "lynch [Tiger Woods] in a back alley." I wrote, "... those who, like Woods, believed this is a 'non-issue' would understand that the word 'lynch' is off-limits to most blacks, just as joking about the Holocaust is off-limits to most Jews."

I got too comfortable with my own knowledge and history of dealing with racial issues. I forgot to ask questions, perhaps subconsciously thinking I knew it all. I've served on numerous diversity panels, and regularly work with the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports. I had a this-would-never-happen-to-me attitude, instead of a let-me-make-sure-this-doesn't happen-to-me attitude. I dropped my guard. I got caught up in being cutesy and wrote something stupid.

She's was just banging the diversity drum without any thought when she wrote that about Kelly Tilghman. I don't believe for one minute that the mistake was her Hitler comparison, rather it was her Tilghman take. That is what was exposed. I could care less that she made an off color comment, in fact, I am a fan of off-color, non-PC statements. Love to watch straight laced people who find comfort in rules get their panties in a bunch when someone says or does something not deemed acceptable by the masses. Just not by people who advance their careers by being 'pro-PC'...then it's off limits. You can't play both sides. And when you try you expose yourself as a fraud.

Her quote: "I had a this-would-never-happen-to-me attitude, instead of a let-me-make-sure-this-doesn't happen-to-me attitude. I dropped my guard. I got caught up in being cutesy and wrote something stupid" says it all. She is not concerned with what a statement means or the effect it has on society or racial harmony, but rather on being someone who knows the rules. Serving on those panels was about her, not about her belief's in a cause. How narcisistic can you get...her apology is basically, "Sorry I offended a bunch of Jews, didn't think it would happen to me, but it did"...her own insensitivity 'happened to her'...is that even possible. If she really cared about racial harmony, serving on diversity panels would be about advancing acceptance and harmony, not 'learning what to say and what not to say'...

She is the absolute defininition of hypocrite and being ordinary and being ignorant. I don't call for an apology. I call for an original thought the balls to stand behind that thought. (/soapbox)
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#16 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:15 am

i am not a fan of ms hill's writing or opinions

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#17 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:05 pm

She should be fired and blacklisted, the way anyone else would be if they worked for a small-town newspaper or TV station.

What a fake BS insincere "apology"...more like sorry I ruined my career/reputation...once a racist hack always a racist hack.

Good riddance to bad rubbish...if ESPN puts her back, then the tiny shred of interest I had in them will be completely gone.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#18 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:08 pm

How about this little gem from her "apology":

"I learned some good and some not-so-good things about people during the week of my suspension. I've learned who my friends are. I've learned Boston Celtics fans sure do know how to make the most out of e-mail."

Yup, it's our fault... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
avi623
Senior
And1: 43

Post#19 » by avi623 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm

this is why women shouldn;t write about men's sports. Unless it's Jackie Mac
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#20 » by Kefa461 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:26 pm

She's not sorry for ****......so **** her..... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.

Return to Boston Celtics