ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Draft Time 

Post#1 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Savor all you want... but we all know come tomorrow (maybe even today) DA is hard at work getting ready for the draft.

So... who is it gonna be? Best SG/SF available? Best Big? A Euro to stash overseas? The Slider? A reach?
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Re: Draft Time 

Post#2 » by C-West » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Devon Hardin.

Everything we need, and I think he'll slip to us. Under Danny Ainge, we don't do the "stash them overseas" thing. PJ and Cassell will be gone. Cassell will be replaced by Pruitt and PJ should be replaced by Hardin.

Anyone else notice we have a little Pac 10 thing going on here (with or without Devon)?
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#3 » by Triple M » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 pm

i have not been paying much attention to the draft and the young prospect as i would expect many of us as well. I think getting length will be critical maybe we will be able to get that in the 2nd round though that would be unlikely. There are some interesting bigmen around the 30th pick so i wont be upset by getting a big in the 1st.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:15 am

Someone who is 7 feet tall (with shoes..), please.(As long as it isn't Hibbert. :sleep: ) While I like Big Baby and Powe, they are too similar, and most importantly too small for bigger teams like Orlando,Houston,Cleveland and the Lakers with Bynum. I'd like to maybe even get a center that we could start later down the road. Perk himself was a 27th pick in the draft, and I think this draft is deeper for centers, than in years past.

Guys I like
DeAndre Jordan (he'd have to really drop)
Marreese Speights(not 7 feet but he's got a lot of other things that make up for it, like shooting range.)
JaVale McGee(huge and with loads of potential)
and
Nathan Jawai (he's smaller than the other guys but reminds me a lot of Brandon Bass and Maxiel.) He may duplicate the skills of BBD and Powe too much and unlike the other guys, would likely be a career bench player.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#5 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:26 am

DA is never going to take a Euro. He doesn't want these guys. They are soft.

Anyhow, I think we go with BPA, and at that point in the draft it is usally an athletic big who is underdeveloped offensively, or it is a tweener shooting guard with good athleticism. I would take either or.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#6 » by dsorc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:08 am

C-West wrote:Devon Hardin.

Everything we need, and I think he'll slip to us. Under Danny Ainge, we don't do the "stash them overseas" thing. PJ and Cassell will be gone. Cassell will be replaced by Pruitt and PJ should be replaced by Hardin.

Anyone else notice we have a little Pac 10 thing going on here (with or without Devon)?

+1
Another guy to look for in the second round is Sasha Kaun. Both are senior centers, 6'11 tall with a standing reach of 9'2. Limited offensively and in upside for the most part but both would probably be able to come in and back Perk up right away to some extent.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#7 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 am

Somebody who doesn't do coke...
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#8 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:09 am

As far as draft propects go don't be fooled by Nathan Jawai being a Euro. He is an Australian but he is a large black man with a physical game. Not much skill to go with it sadly.

I like Hardin a lot and the connection to Powe can't hurt that is for sure.

Courtney Lee has opened some eyes and seems like the kind of guy that both Danny and Doc like.

I also would not be shocked to see Danny try and get someone to try and take Scal in exchange for the pick.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#9 » by Datruth345 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:30 am

Alexis Ajinca
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
armageddon
Rookie

Post#10 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:01 am

Ryan Anderson -
6-10 240
He was a 20 and 10 guy as a sophomore and outrebounded his center DeVon Hardin.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#11 » by hiphop1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 am

Rocky5000 wrote:Someone who is 7 feet tall (with shoes..), please.(As long as it isn't Hibbert. :sleep: ) While I like Big Baby and Powe, they are too similar, and most importantly too small for bigger teams like Orlando,Houston,Cleveland and the Lakers with Bynum. I'd like to maybe even get a center that we could start later down the road. Perk himself was a 27th pick in the draft, and I think this draft is deeper for centers, than in years past.

Guys I like
DeAndre Jordan (he'd have to really drop)
Marreese Speights(not 7 feet but he's got a lot of other things that make up for it, like shooting range.)
JaVale McGee(huge and with loads of potential)
and
Nathan Jawai (he's smaller than the other guys but reminds me a lot of Brandon Bass and Maxiel.) He may duplicate the skills of BBD and Powe too much and unlike the other guys, would likely be a career bench player.

You guys should check out Jason Thompson from Rider. He could slip to us and has great skill and star potential. The knock on him is he played in the MAAC Confrence. I like this kid the more I hear about him, so I suggest you all take a look at him.

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profile ... mpson.html
Free your mind and your a** will follow
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#12 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:22 am

I don't know who we are going to draft but I doubt we draft a Euro. Look at this team now - not a single Euro and we are world champions. We also compared to the Lakers have amazing toughness.

Secondly YOU CANNOT DRAFT FOR NEED at 30. Ainge as usual will take the guy most likely to be able to make it in the NBA. I predict a PG/SG but it could be a SF or even PF. As I have said before there are almost never centers worth taking at pick 30.

Russell Westbrook sounds like the kind of guy Ainge might pick..

Pete
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#13 » by hiphop1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 am

GuyClinch wrote:I don't know who we are going to draft but I doubt we draft a Euro. Look at this team now - not a single Euro and we are world champions. We also compared to the Lakers have amazing toughness.

Secondly YOU CANNOT DRAFT FOR NEED at 30. Ainge as usual will take the guy most likely to be able to make it in the NBA. I predict a PG/SG but it could be a SF or even PF. As I have said before there are almost never centers worth taking at pick 30.

Russell Westbrook sounds like the kind of guy Ainge might pick..

Pete

Westbrook would be kool, but he will never fall to us at thirty.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#14 » by LongTimeFan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:59 pm

As much as I love Powe, his trade value is through the roof. He has a 9' 2" standing reach and his production per minute are outstanding. He demonstrated in the playoff run that he is a Brand type player. (Sorry Leon. I love you. But you can be a starting PF in many places, just not in Boston.)

I think the lessor Lopez brother is what we need. We need 6 more fouls to throw at Bynum.

With DA and the draft you have to think outside the box. The maven is at work. We want a top five player.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

armageddon wrote:Ryan Anderson -
6-10 240
He was a 20 and 10 guy as a sophomore and outrebounded his center DeVon Hardin.

Anderson is an intersting player but while a little tougher than your usual perimeter PF the same problems are there. He isn't very athletic and he struggles against players his size. Stats are stats but Hardin is the explosive, athletic, and defensive minded, low post player. A lot of what he does makes it possible for Anderson to get the numbers he gets. Which is why Anderson is coming out as a sophomore even though he isn't guaranteed a spot in the 1st round.

While I agree that you don't draft simply to fill a need, when a player is a good value and fills a need you have to take a long hard look. More importantly I don't think that you draft a player you aren't going to use.

But with the status of Tony Allen, House, and Cassell guard is just as much a need as big.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#16 » by Prophet_C » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Westbrook is a lottery pick. I think we need a big man but I don't want a soft Euro. I'm not very familiar with any of the late first round projected options but it's always interesting to see what Danny does.

Anybody think he'll try to trade to get a better pick?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:41 pm

No I don't think he will trade up but I don't think he will blink at drafting Bill Walker if he slides because of the knee. Doc isn't likely to use whoever Danny drafts this season anyhow, especially in the first half of the season.

(quickreply is back)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#18 » by Dogen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:48 pm

sully00 wrote:No I don't think he will trade up but I don't think he will blink at drafting Bill Walker if he slides because of the knee. Doc isn't likely to use whoever Danny drafts this season anyhow, especially in the first half of the season.

(quickreply is back)

I'd love to take Walker with the pick, but he really is a risk at this point because of the knee.
Hey you! Can we come together?
SprtsAdam
Ballboy

Post#19 » by SprtsAdam » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:01 pm

What do you guys think of trading #30 to either Minnesota for #31 (first pick of Round 2) and #34, or to Portland for #33 and #36?

This way we can get two players, right around the same talent level as #30, and not have to pay them as much as a first round pick.

Just for reference, we got Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis early in the second round, while Morris Almond, Aaron Brooks, Arron Afflalo, Tiago Splitter, Alando Tucker and Petteri Koponen were the last few picks of last years first round.

Just something to consider.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#20 » by sox839 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 pm

Well I think we will draft a big or we could trade down. I think trading down is a real possibility. We do need a big whether pj comes back or not. We will resign pollard fortheminium if pj doesn't come back and he willsplit time with the rookie backing up perk. I think Danny is looking for a big that has some skills and someone whom Cliff Ray can work with. Two guys come to mind devon hardin or trent plaisted. Hardin has super athleticism but his stats are subpar but he is a great shotblocker. Now Plaisted is a guy Danny might know better than any player in this draft. He played with ainges son so danny will have the inside scoop. He also has some post skills and is athletic but not as much as hardin. Not the shotblocker that hardin is though but a better post player. If we trade down we take plaisted and maybe even if we don't. In the second round sasha kaun might not be a bad pick he is atually a rarity a tough euro player. Go american though

Return to Boston Celtics