ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: Draft Time 

Post#31 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 pm

I'd be happy with any of these players in Rd 1:

-Ryan Anderson: Could spell KG, at least offensively; great rebounder, good upside (not great though)
-Bill Walker: Phenomenal athlete. Not much of a shooter though. HUGE upside on the wing
-Jason Thompson: Tall, strong, and fluid. Good touch. Poor competition level; would be a project
-DeVon Hardin: A more athletic Perk; even at 22 though he'd need a year or two to be a big contributor though
-Davon Jefferson: Great scorer, good athlete, lots of potential, especially on D

Players to look at with the last pick:
Sasha Kaun: Great size, taught well in college, still learning the game; very smart player
James Gist: Superb athlete; kind of a jack of all trades; labeled at times as underachiever
Richard Roby: Great spotup shooter, good length
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#32 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm

I don't see how multiple picks helps Boston. We don't have that many available roster spots and this draft isn't all that exciting to be honest.

The feeling would seem to be you could move up in the draft to the late teens early 20's but that is the land of all of these guys who were projected as lottery picks and have blown the camps and workouts.

As far as Walker's knees go, it is a medical issue, the doctors look at it and give the answer. Leon Powe's knees were blown too. I think he is going to be a Stephen Jackson type player, a guy you can really build with (if he isn't crazy).

Hardin I like as a more athletic version of Perkins. He doesn't have an effort or work issue he just doesn't have a ton of offensive moves, but he finishes and runs the floor well and really, add a 15-18 ft jumper to that and you have PJ Brown. The kid is a just good defender in a big athletic body.

I thought that SG was going to be a nice way to go at that point in the draft but they seem to keep climbing in the draft as this big stiff party starts sliding down the board.

Nobody is going to be selling off draft picks, PHX and SA are actually looking to aquire more picks to fill out their rosters. More importantly Boston isn't really in a position to buy. We can't take on a bad contract to just to get a better draft pick now.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#33 » by ParticleMan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm

I just don't understand the "trade powe" idea. um, this guy produces. who gives a rats ass if he's 6-7? he produces. isn't that what it's about?

devon hardin, meh. he just doesn't seem to have the basketball sense. i wouldn't mind only because we've got clifford ray to get him going the right way. he's one of those enigma players, one of the more invisible 7-footers in the NCAA. ryan anderson, another interesting case. not athletic, not strong, but amazingly productive, great instincts, great mental toughness. again, at #30 he wouldn't be a bad pick. he's better than scal, it's not even close.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,045

Post#34 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#35 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 pm

I don't want to speak for LTF but for myself the theory behind dealing Leon Powe is that he just had that monster game in the finals and if you know that his role is never going to expand over what it is right now, essentially limited to the mins behind KG and situation at that, then you simply see what is out there for him. I keep looking at ORL who has a ton of length and no toughness outside of Howard as a place were Leon could start and even be star.

It wouldn't be about trying to get rid of him but trying to get value for him when it is at his highest. I mean if an ORL or WASH called and said they would swap picks with you for Leon would you do it?

College basketball is very difficult game to evaluate big men in I think that Hardin's play had a lot to do with Anderson's production. It is what makes me reluctant to be so down on Hibbert as well but I still am.
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#36 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:32 pm

I see some very good contributing players in the early to mid second round. DA has found solid pros 3 years in row in the second - however, how many undersized PF's do you need.

I'd still love to see a trade of picks and aforementioned undersized PF's and possibly TA for a Varejao or Villeneuava type player (I know, good luck).

I would be happy with Hardin.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,045

Post#37 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Powe had a PER of 20 this year AND he is a big. It would be insane to trade him. Given our current makeup I want whoever we draft to be active/nasty/physical or very versatile. It will be intersting this year b/c we are the last pick it will be pretty easy for Danny to keep who he likes close to the vest. Our needs our maybe backup 1 and 2 and another big. He seems to picke ultraathletic guys for his cakcourt position and bruiser typers for his frontcourt. Thats why I would be shocker to see him pass up some of the guys I mentioned like Walker, Lee, Dorsey. Another guy I liked but i think dropped out was Danny Green.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#38 » by armageddon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:57 pm

One issue with Powe and Davis is they both have just one year left on their contracts. We won't be keeping both past this next season unless Davis loses big weight and can play some 3. I do like them both.

I like signing Kwame Brown as Perk's backup. I don't see a better option and we have Ray to help him. If we do this, then we are more open to the BPA at 30.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#39 » by hiphop1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 am

UGA Hayes wrote:Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.

I wouldnt mind Dorsey, but my pick if he is available at thirty is Jason Thompson. He can play PF or C and is a great shot blocker. Also has a shot out to 15-17 feet, good post moves as well. He did play in a sub par conference(MAAC) but he has skill you can see it when he plays. If Cliff Ray gets ahold of this kid watch out. He reminds me of a poor man's KG.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#40 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 am

hiphop1 wrote:
UGA Hayes wrote:Bill Walker, Robin Lopez, maybe Courtney Lee, Joey Dorsey, pat calathes. I have a weird feeeling we will pick Joey Dorsey.

I wouldnt mind Dorsey, but my pick if he is available at thirty is Jason Thompson. He can play PF or C and is a great shot blocker. Also has a shot out to 15-17 feet, good post moves as well. He did play in a sub par conference(MAAC) but he has skill you can see it when he plays. If Cliff Ray gets ahold of this kid watch out. He reminds me of a poor man's KG.

Yeah Thompson I is who I would like at #30 as well. Seems like a good fit, a guy with a lot of potential who just recently figured the game out his senior year. Especially with Big Cliff and KG, this kid is who I want in green.

Bill Walker's knee has me worried although if he's there at 30 I wouldn't object drafting the kid. TA is a proven commodity and he's already had his fair share of knee injuries, we should just keep him and hope that the worst is already behind him.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#41 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:39 am

I like Higgins or Dorsey.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#42 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 am

I correct my error. It is Hickson. I like him based on his age and athleticism.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#43 » by sox839 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 am

What do you guys think of trent plaisted? I saw him play he is pretty athletic and has some post moves. I think if he got with Clifford Ray we could have something. I saw him play a few times on TV but he game against north carolina he ooked pretty good to me but of course it is only one game. He had good stats and would be a good backup to Perk. I don't think Plaisted gets enough credit. If Thompson and Hardin are gone would we take him.
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#44 » by KyleCleric » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:06 am

I'm thinking they'll take a high risk, high reward prospect like Davon Jefferson or Bill Walker, or take a player that drops for stupid reasons like Roy Hibbert or Robin Lopez.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#45 » by armageddon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am

Plaisted is a BYU player, and DA has worked him out already.

JJ Hickson is interesting. Still only 19 and will be a much better player than where he will be drafted.

It will be mildly interesting who drops to 60 - Walker?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#46 » by BadWolf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:29 am

I'd love Walker on Celtics. The downside is that we have 3 troublesome knees at backup wings. But still most athletic and dunk-ready duo?
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy

Post#47 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm

I like Kyle Weaver with the 30th pick if he's available. House and Cassell are probably gone, so Weaver would fill the backup PG void if either Pruitt isn't ready or the C's decide Pruitt is more of a 2 (I think he's a 2). They can't really go wrong, though.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#48 » by Dogen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

There will be nice player available for us at 30.

Walker- My first choice but concerned about the knees. Detroit has a guarantee at 29?

Chalmers- Could be the compliment to the Rondo/Pruitt backcourt of the future. Decent handle, shot, defense. Good leader. Long, little undersized overall but strong.

Ibaka- Somebody will snap this guy up. 6-10 guys with this type of athleticism don't grow on trees. Seattle takes this type foreign guy about every year but thus far none have been that exceptional. Probably a few years away from contributing.

Dragic- Maybe he's the latest Youtube wonder, yet won't able to stay in front of real NBA talent when it counts. This year's Rodriguez? Danny doesn't seem to be enamored with Euros, so probably a pass.

Thompson- Very intriguing. Good size, attitude. Could be a contributor and a great pick at 30. Draft Express gives his best case as Mark Blount (!). I think he could be a fine backup C for us, with more offense than Perk brings.

Hardin- Another guy hard to pass on. Tall, strong, athletic--- what is it with this draft? Guys like Hardin and Dorsey in the 2nd round.

Forbes- The dark horse candidate. Local college player. Offense is ready. Good size, handle, experience. Could be a backup for Pierce and Allen.

Those are some ideas. We've got choices available at PG, C, and Wing. Probably no star player there, but definite talent. Some are ready to play, others, like Ibaka, might be groomed to replace our starters eventually.
Hey you! Can we come together?
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#49 » by DorfonCeltics » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

hiphop1 wrote:

Thompson is my guy as well but my close second is Bill Walker. I read sometime earlier this week that the Pistons have promised him a spot at 29 if he's there. He seems like Dumars' type of guy but he also seems a little redundant with Stucky there. I'd be happy with either of those guys.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#50 » by buckner1976 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:50 pm

yeah the more i watch and think about it the more i like thompson. theres some decent footage of him at rider on youtube thats worth a look.

here's a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvUP00Z8 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNiIGU4h ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl164Jp8 ... re=related

good frame that he can add some more muscle to. very quick and athletic. can hit the j. actually compares his game to kg which i can see a little bit. in one video hes playing a scrub but you can still sttill him show off his superb shooting form and his athleticism.

another name i havent seen mentioned that i also think is worth mentioning if we found a way to get an eary 2nd rnd pick: jr giddens

he had some attitude issues but he seems to have matured and remade himself his senior year at new mexico. an excellent athlete with long arms. projects as a good defender and rebounder at his position. decent shooter as well and has shown some playmaking skills as well. would love to get him and let him learn under ray, paul and james posey.

Return to Boston Celtics