ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

jbs
Senior
And1: 85

Re: Draft Time 

Post#161 » by jbs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:53 pm

My dream scenario for Boston:

30. pick: Nicolas Batum (unlikely that he will drop but not impossible)
60. pick: DeVon Hardin (athletic defensive center project.)

The team needs some young athletic guys. They had problems in the playoffs with ulta-athletic tems like Atlanta. Batum and Hardin are certainly both very athletic.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#162 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:40 pm

I could have told you that Reddick and Morrison weren't going to be very good without statistical analysis as I imagine could a lot of people who watched them play. I also could have told you that the kid Williams from Duke and the Sean May from UNC weren't going to be very good either though Hollinger's stats loved them.

For what it is worth, DX has Courtney Lee going to ORL, I believe the stated reason was that every GM he has talked to has told him this is so. I think the last time this came up was Rondo going to PHX at 21.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,135

Post#163 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Danny Ainge is like a kid in the candy store on draft day. You know he will be doing some wheeling and dealing. Should be fun. :D

Ainge will probably be on WEEI the Big Show today with Ordway. Maybe he will give a little insight on what he is looking at doing tomorrow (trade up, trade down, trade out etc.).
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#164 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:07 pm

I could have told you that Reddick and Morrison weren't going to be very good without statistical analysis as I imagine could a lot of people who watched them play. I also could have told you that the kid Williams from Duke and the Sean May from UNC weren't going to be very good either though Hollinger's stats loved them.

No doubt. While Hollinger is a tireless self promoter - I just don't see alot of added value in his stats. I doubt DA relies on such statistics for his drafting..

Pete
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#165 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:18 pm

What do you all think of Ryan Anderson as the thirtieth selection for Boston?

The below excerpt was taken from the Draft report on Realgm. The writer sounds really low on him, though. Anderson sounds intriguing... But, the article doesn't sound all that impressed with his game at the next level.

Anderson chose to keep his name in the draft because teams informed him he would definitely be selected in the 20’s, but he is just as likely to be selected in the 30’s. One way or another, he will be on an NBA team in 08-09 and expected to be a Hedo Turkoglu type of player.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,388

Post#166 » by Gant » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Danny Ainge is like a kid in the candy store on draft day. You know he will be doing some wheeling and dealing. Should be fun. :D

Ainge will probably be on WEEI the Big Show today with Ordway. Maybe he will give a little insight on what he is looking at doing tomorrow (trade up, trade down, trade out etc.).

Thanks for the head up. I'm sure it will be entertaining, but as far an insght goes... Danny will answer a few questions, refuse to answer some others, say they're prepared to trade up, down, out, or make the pick depending on what happens... and he won't really say anything.

(as it should be)
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#167 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:35 pm

canman1971 wrote:The only reason I am interested in the draft is because I have absolutely no clue what is going on or what is happening. It'll be neat to see it unfold. Usually we spend months arguing, analyzing, comparing, and what do we end up with. Nothing we thought would happen. Now, it'll be a total surprise. There is some fun in that, no?

Yeah it is fun talking about this stuff. It is more fun not having a dog in the fight because we have done so well.

Big **** eating :D for winning the championship!!!!
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#168 » by armageddon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:40 pm

We're all a little late coming to the draft party (yahoo) but after studying the draftees for a couple of weeks, I definately feel that this is the worst draft I've ever seen. There will only be about 7 players in the first round who end up starters and half of the first round selections will be out of the league by the time their rookie contracts expire.

Traditionally, PF's are the biggest busts. This draft's first round is mostly young, skinny, undeveloped PF with "upside". These are great athlete's who haven't stood out in HS, and haven't stood out in college, but occasionally are exciting to watch when playing against inferior teams with no defense. The guys who do stick won't be productive for 3 or so years. Then you have the 7ft 195lb foreign players like Ajinca who will need 5 years to get strong enough and if he does, will make more money in Europe than here.

This is going to be a classic upsidedown draft where more second rounders make long careers than first rounders. This is where all the upperclassmen with unspectacular games will be picked. There will be at least 15 players like Gomes and Powe who will be contributers either right away or within a year.

If I were a team picking from 15 to 30, I'd get out of the first and try to get a couple of seconds instead. Better players, better contract, better chance of keeping your GM job.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#169 » by Prophet_C » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 pm

From Andy Katz.

• Boston is trying to figure out if a pick at No. 30 can help it offset the potential loss of James Posey or Tony Allen, the team's two top defenders. The Celtics are looking at international players and a few Americans, notably Kansas State's Bill Walker (if he were available, which he should be). The feeling is that Walker still has enough talent to be a player in the top-eight rotation despite his recurring knee injuries. The Celtics are also open to moving the pick and getting out of the first round.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,388

Post#170 » by Gant » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Here's Danny in the Gadsden Times (via Celticsblog):

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/200 ... cat=SPORTS

"Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge doesn't expect to draft a player who can help the NBA champions next season.

The Celtics have the 30th and 60th picks in Thursday night's draft and are in a much different position than they were a year ago after posting the second worst record in the league.

Ainge said Wednesday there are some players he wouldn't select unless they agreed to play overseas and develop for a couple of years. He also said a trade for a better pick would be a real longshot.

At last year's draft, Ainge set in motion the team's turnaround when he dealt the fifth overall pick, Jeff Green, to Seattle for Ray Allen.

Ainge also says he hopes to re-sign James Posey, but may not sign all of his current players who are eligible for free agency."

me: These "overseas" players: Ibaka and Batum?
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,104

Post#171 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:02 pm

^ that would be pretty weird since everyone on this board including myself seems to want walker. I saw him do an interview and he seems pretty bright and open to coaching to me.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,135

Post#172 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:15 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:^ that would be pretty weird since everyone on this board including myself seems to want walker. I saw him do an interview and he seems pretty bright and open to coaching to me.

The more I think about it Walker really makes sense for the Celtics. No not Antoine Walker. Bill Walker would be insurance for both Posey & Tony Allen.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#173 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm hoping we can get a high upside guy that is falling like Greene, Jordan (whose stock is plummeting) or Randolph (also falling like a rock).

Also, ESPN is reporting that the Grizz are considering trading the fifth pick to the Knicks for Lee, and Malik Rose with the Knicks taking back Brian Cardinals contract. Either Chris Wallace is the most incompetent GM to ever live or he really hates the Celtics considering the terrible job he did here and now helping both the Lakers and Knicks.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,104

Post#174 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:09 pm

^ or they are really desperate to cut cost. Either way that would be a ridiculous trade. Another crazy one was heat trading number 2 and dequan cook for memphis' 5 and michael conley.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#175 » by theman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 pm

I'd love a little more Danny luck and get D. Greene but that is too much to wish for. How about:

30) Bill Walker
60) JR Giddens
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#176 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:34 pm

theman wrote:I'd love a little more Danny luck and get D. Greene but that is too much to wish for. How about:

30) Bill Walker
60) JR Giddens

I'd be very happy with Walker. But Detroit supposedly has a promise to him.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#177 » by theman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 pm

How about Kyle Weaver or Jamont Gordon at 30? I think both fit Danny's mold.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,071

Post#178 » by Dogen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:06 pm

theman wrote:I'd love a little more Danny luck and get D. Greene but that is too much to wish for. How about:

30) Bill Walker
60) JR Giddens

A couple of big time athletes to fill out the wings. Walker may slide to us at 30, but I think someone will take a chance on Giddens well before 60.
Hey you! Can we come together?
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#179 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 pm

...Ibaka if he is available...team isn't going to get production from their draft pick...this is a title team, rookies aren't the solution at backup spots...Ibaka has amazing potential and is only projected so low because he is super young, and isn't coming over right away...

...if Ibaka is gone-real possability-then Bill Walker would be great...the only problem there is his health, but if the team is satisfied with his medical records, who are we to argue...

What i'd really like is to parlay something we've got for Portland's 2 second rounders...i'd rather fill two positions than one with developmental talent...

...and FYI, for those who think this draft is weak...if may be weak on instant contributors, (not many drafts have that) but it is one of the deepest in terms of rotation-level or above...5 years from now this draft will look amazing...
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#180 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Wow, good idea Wallace, why don't you just go ahead and trade for another Center, because you don't have any of those already, well besides Darko, Kwame?, and Mark Gasol. Perhaps you could also make the Knicks replace Rose with one of their point guards to even things out.

Return to Boston Celtics