ImageImageImage

Draft Time

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

avi623
Senior
And1: 43

Re: Draft Time 

Post#81 » by avi623 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:02 pm

You have to remember that we do not have a pick in '09 or '11, so it is actually pretty important that we don't mess up this pick. That being said, I think they should go with the best talent available. Any need positions will be addressed via free agency. They should be trying to hit a home run. Personally, I think they should try and do it with a wing, who might be able to provide some relief to Pierce and Allen. I would love to see the Celtics take a flier on Bill Walker. Too much talent, and if he is there, i think we should and will take him. I think Courtney Lee is someone to look at as well. Personally, i'm not as big a fan of CDR and I dont think B Rush will be there. Very few of the bigs at that position are very impressive. Some people have said Ryan Anderson, and his production was good at Cal, but if you watch him, he is Austin Croshere. And that by itself, makes the case for not taking DaVon Hardin.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#82 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:52 pm

I haven't seen him mentioned, but is Nathan Jawai a good pick? nbadraft.net has him listed as the 30th pick and he can play at the 4 and 5. The Charles Oakley comparisons make him sound very intriguing.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#83 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Picks for sale
According to an NBA source, the Celtics and other teams picking late in the first round of the draft are strongly considering trading their pick or getting a prospect they can develop overseas. Memphis, for one, is trying to trade the 28th overall pick. Don't be surprised if the Celtics are interested in such international players as French forward Nicolas Batum, Congo forward/center Serge Ibaka, French center Alexis Ajinca, Turkish center Omer Asik, and Montenegro forward/center Nikola Pekovic. The source said Batum's stock is dropping dramatically because of heart concerns, for which his workout in Toronto was canceled.

Falling star
On Georgetown center Roy Hibbert's draft stock, one NBA scout said, "Hibbert is going to need a parachute on draft day. The young centers have passed him in the eyes of teams. His stock is just plummeting, when last year he could have been a top-10 pick. Guys were able to really get a good look at him last season, and more questions were answered by his performance last year." The scout also said the 7-foot-2-inch, 278-pounder, an Associated Press second-team All-America selection, would likely be available when the Celtics pick 30th. Keep in mind that Doc Rivers knows Hibbert very well, since his son, Jeremiah, played at Georgetown the past two seasons before transferring to Indiana.

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... em/?page=4
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#84 » by sox839 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm

I really hope we don't draft a foreign player. There are some good ones out there but now with the scouting in the last two or three years the best ones are taken very early in the draft. I think the days of finding a ginobili with a late round pick are gone. I would rather the C's move down or take an american player with there own pick.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#85 » by dsorc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:18 pm

I would be so happy if Hibbert was there. He had a down year but he the skills are still there. I think when scouts look at a guy for so long they end up overseeing his flaws since they need to report something new. Also, I don't think he was used all that properly in Georgetown plus the NCAA refs have it against big men trying to be physical.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#86 » by Datruth345 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm Already On The Ajinca, Bill Walker Bandwagon
Put Me On The Ryan Anderson Bandwagon As Well
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#87 » by sully00 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:32 am

LongTimeFan wrote:I'd have to agree with Bill on this re Powe v Baby.

However, I think we need another center and we may have to move up quite a bit to get the guy DA wants. Powe is a legit starting PF. A proven NBA PF. We have his full Bird rights. This is not another GM overpaying by giving up a high pick.

Personally, my wife just got over West being traded. I'll have another year of mourning if Powe gets traded. He's one of my favorites.

Baby we only have his little Bird rights. He has a serious weight issue.

This isn't about Leon vs Baby. Baby has almost no trade value. On the other hand Leon has a ton of flash in a deal right now. It is simply one of those things, Jiri Welsh could have landed a top 10 pick by mid season the same team got him for a future 1st rounder. Delonte could have been a center piece in a deal a year later he is the throw in the Ray Allen deal.

I am certainly not looking to get rid of Leon but as BFB said he is going to max out in a bench role for this team, and he could start in this league. If a team values him enough you have to answer the phone. All the decent big men, the guys who could step in and play a little, seem to be climbing the draft board, same thing at the SG position, and we don't need a head case who slid because of his attitude.

The hardest part of this draft is there is again really good talent at the 6'8"-9" PF spot Hickson, DJ White, Hendrix, Dorsey. But they are all going to have the same issue Powe does that the mins they can run next to KG are limited.

I love Jamont Gordon, have no idea whether his game will translate or not but absolutely love him as a player and he seem like a Danny Ainge kind of player.

I don't really like Hibbert, as a lottery pick, but he will be a rotation player in the NBA. He can play defense and is an excellent passer and low post scorer, he would be a steal at 30.

One guy to look for with that late 2nd round pick is Will Daniels out of URI. The team and the second half of his season collapsed and he is off the radar. But what is hurting him with most teams kind makes him a fit in Boston. He is kind of Posey clone without the 3 pt shot, but he can score without it and that can be added later on. Excellent rebounder and athletic enough to defend the SF spot, also has the ball handling skills to be that Big SF Doc is always looking for. Questions about his attitude but he was just in an awful situation at URI were the coaches son had taken over the offense and killed the team.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#88 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 am

A team like Boston could decide to pick Serge Ibaka at 30 and stash him in Spain next season, which would help them with their problematic luxury tax situation. That’s one of the reasons Boston is heavily considering moving their pick, as they are “not in love with anyone in that range” according to one source with knowledge of the situation.

Link: http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

I could definitely see us trading the pick this year...but you never know with Ainge...
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#89 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 am

This isn't about Leon vs Baby. Baby has almost no trade value. On the other hand Leon has a ton of flash in a deal right now. It is simply one of those things, Jiri Welsh could have landed a top 10 pick by mid season the same team got him for a future 1st rounder. Delonte could have been a center piece in a deal a year later he is the throw in the Ray Allen deal.

You can simply play Powe and KG as our bigs alot of the time. Perkins isn't that great - and even if he doesn't start Powe could earn a ton of minutes.

BBD is not the guy to keep - he has a weight issue which kills what little value he might have even if he bothered to get into shape.

Wing players are often available late in the draft and in the second round. I think we will draft athletic wings and maybe let Tony go. I see us drafting a guy like Bill Walker and maybe a shooter like DeMarcus Nelson with our second round pick. Both of those guys could make our roster.

I like House but I could see Danny going young to back up Rondo - so even that resigning is not guaranteed. I doubt he drafts a big unless its some smaller guy who plays big.. like a Darrell Arthur.

Pete
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,168

Post#90 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Call me crazy but I have a gut feeling that Ainge likes George Hill and he will be the 30th pick in the draft on Thursday night. I have no information to support this but that is my gut feeling. :D
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#91 » by LongTimeFan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Guy Cinch:

Perk has a 9' 4 1/2" reach. He's not going anywhere. He's made steady improvment. He's young and we need the height. He also had a weight problem.

This is a contract year for Baby. He better show some serious commitment to his weight issue. As Sully said he has litlle to no trade value.

Leon on the other hand is one quality trading chip. He's not short for an NBA PF. His standing reach is 9' 2". It's the same as Big Al's. His per minute stats are comparable to Big Al's. Furthermore he's made major contributions on the big stage.

If DA wants to, he can move up quite a bit. I really think we need another center. I don't think we could have beat the Lakers with Bynum.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#92 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Here's what I don't get:
Leon is productive. He's got good size for a PF. He's tough. He can score a bit. He seems to be injury free. He's one of our most efficient bench players.

So you guys want to TRADE him? Just because he has "value"????

Um, yeah he's got value. To US.

I can't see us moving up more than 10 slots even by trading Powe. So what will that get us? Another rookie who will take a year to develop, and who won't contribute nearly as much as Leon would next year. Remember we're not rebuilding anymore, we need to win now.

I agree Davis has little trade value. So keep him, trade him, whatever. But Davis has less value because he's shown less ability to contribute on the court. We can't be trading away guys who can help us win now, and trying to hit the jackpot with some future star "potential" kind of guy.

I'd just rather keep Leon. He's one of our top 8 players, and possibly our best remaining bench player if Posey and House leave.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#93 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:35 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Here's what I don't get:
Leon is productive. He's got good size for a PF. He's tough. He can score a bit. He seems to be injury free. He's one of our most efficient bench players.

I can't see us moving up more than 10 slots even by trading Powe. So what will that get us? Another rookie who will take a year to develop, and who won't contribute nearly as much as Leon would next year. Remember we're not rebuilding anymore, we need to win now.

I agree Davis has little trade value. So keep him, trade him, whatever. But Davis has less value because he's shown less ability to contribute on the court. We can't be trading away guys who can help us win now, and trying to hit the jackpot with some future star "potential" kind of guy.

I'd just rather keep Leon. He's one of our top 8 players, and possibly our best remaining bench player if Posey and House leave.

I dont get this either, we need players who can play now and Leon can play now.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#94 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm not sure about all the man-love for Hardin, because he is a solid defensive prospect with even less offensive awareness as Perkins. I don't see him unseating Perk offensively. In fact, I saw a few subtle improvements this year offensively from Perk, doing a better job finishing around the rim and not taking so many gather dribbles. With Hardin, you will get essentially a more athletic Perk from 2 years ago- long, talented 7-footer who is agonizingly unreliable. However, having seen that we do need length and girth to defend big like Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Pau Gasol (PJ, not Powe/Baby, did best vs. those 2), I would not be disappointed by Hardin at 30. Don't be surprised though if he is snagged before us.

As for Bill Walker, I like the player, but not nearly as much as everyone here seems to. He is a very mediocre, if not bad jumpshooter, and as a role player off the bench for this team I think you HAVE to be a decent jumpshooter and defender to get minutes. Walker has phenomenal upside, but I think the risk of his knees, his very inconsistent defense, and his subpar jumper will scare us away.

Personally, if we are going to look for a Posey replacement as our primary wing defending backup, I'd rather we go after Davon Jefferson. At 6-6, 215, he has a strong, chiseled body with good length. He defended 2's, 3's, and 4's for USC all year, and did a very good job at all three spots. He can beat his man off the dribble, initiate contact for fouls, and also hit open jumpers with good consistency. I really think at SF he could come in and very quickly do a pseudo-Posey for us, with less D (obviously) but a better ability to attack the rim, which I think we lack out of our bench sorely. Count me in on the Davon Jefferson Bandwagon, even if it is just a party of one currently.

IF we don't go big (ex- Hardin taken early, no one like Speights slips), I don't think we take another 6-8/6-9 guy like Hickson or DJ White. With Baby and Powe we have those types who are already proven; maybe at 60 with someone like James Mays. One other option is taking Omer Asik, who has lottery abilities but contract problems, and wait to buy him out in a year or two, a la Manu Ginobili or Luis Scola.
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#95 » by nasbahceltic » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Exactly. Unless somebody blows us away with an offer (unlikely to happen) there is no way we should get rid of Leon. He's just coming into his own as a player as he's entering year 3 (a true contract year as well) where most NBA players tend to see a drastic leap forward in their all around performance. Couple this together with the fact that he's a true team player and one of the most coachable guys on the team (Doc has called him his favorite player on the team on multiple occasions).

People tend to forget he was probably the 5th or 6th best player on the team after the all-star break.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,417

Post#96 » by Gant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:06 pm

From draftexpress:
"A team like Boston could decide to pick Serge Ibaka at 30 and stash him in Spain next season, which would help them with their problematic luxury tax situation. That’s one of the reasons Boston is heavily considering moving their pick, as they are “not in love with anyone in that range” according to one source with knowledge of the situation. "

me: After the last two drafts which ended SO differently than they began, nothing should be a surprise.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#97 » by theman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Is there any chance that Donte Greene could slip all the way to 30? :pray: He was ranked 14 or 15 last week by nbadraft.net but today they have him at 22.

He is the tall SF I've been wishing for for years.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,417

Post#98 » by Gant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Speaking of nbadraft.net, they redesigned their website. it looks good.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,074

Post#99 » by Dogen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Gant wrote:From draftexpress:
"A team like Boston could decide to pick Serge Ibaka at 30 and stash him in Spain next season, which would help them with their problematic luxury tax situation. That’s one of the reasons Boston is heavily considering moving their pick, as they are “not in love with anyone in that range” according to one source with knowledge of the situation. "

me: After the last two drafts which ended SO differently than they began, nothing should be a surprise.

I would not be adverse to Ibaka, if he falls to us. None of the players available at 30 are likely to get much burn next season. The team will likely be concentrating on bringing in additional vets to help us defend the title. So having a young project develop overseas is a good option.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#100 » by Barry Lird » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:31 pm

I can't see us moving up more than 10 slots even by trading Powe. So what will that get us? Another rookie who will take a year to develop, and who won't contribute nearly as much as Leon would next year. Remember we're not rebuilding anymore, we need to win now....

+1. He's a valuable contributor. He should go nowhere. He only struggles with extra long guys, which is why, much like last year, we'll have the same needs as last year, when we all knew, all season until we picked up PJ and Sam, that we needed a long big, and a backup PG.

The thing that is different this year, is that Powe in particular, and Baby to a lesser degree, are known commodities. And what we know about Powe is that he produces.

My guess is that Danny will try to address the long big either via trade (and not Powe), or he'll await the waiver wire for a PJ like player, late in the season. A risky strategy, but PJ showed us the value of an experienced vet in the playoffs. I don't think some rookie, long big, picked at #30 will be a reliable rotation player on a team trying to defend its title.

Return to Boston Celtics