ImageImageImage

"Lakers Are Favored to Win It All in 2009"

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Re: "Lakers Are Favored to Win It All in 2009" 

Post#31 » by eatyourchildren » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:21 am

Gant wrote:The Celtics match up really well with LA Bynum or no Bynum. Don't forget, the Celtics played with three injured starters in the Finals. Next time around if the Lakers get there, they won't be so lucky. Healthy Perkins shuts down Bynum (he did it twice this season). Rondo will be a lot better. Garnett will still be on Gasol and no one will be able to handle Pierce.

Goodnight LA.

With Gasol, the Lakers don't need his scoring as much as they did in the regular season v. the Celtics. Do you also mean that healthy Perkins shuts down Bynum on the boards and on defense? Gasol at the 4, if shoots his FT line jumper at a decent clip, would be a bit tougher on the Celtics defense than Gasol at the 5 would be, I imagine.

Pierce was and still remains the Laker's biggest concern. Hopefully we stop playing Radman.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#32 » by meatball sub » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:26 am

The only hope the Lakers have of stopping P2 is if they somehow acquire Ron Artest. He's about the only guy I recall being able to guard Pierce on a consistent basis.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#33 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:08 am

Artest isn't an elite defender anymore, imo. Maybe it's just because he's been playing on crappy ass Sacto teams, he isn't trying, but in the past couple of years I haven't been impressed with Artest on D, at least not as much as when he was younger. I think LA will get frustrated with his poor shot selection and inconsitent effort, unless he turns those things around. Maybe he would. And of course there is always the Artest Implosion possibility.

Everyone killed LO for his performance in the finals but I think if he were matched up against Pierce he would actually look OK. Garnett was not a good matchup for LO. And Gasol actually plays better against KG than Perk, since he doesn't like contact.

The addition of Bynum really changes the dynamic of the whole Laker team. I still think we can beat them, but I'm not 100% sure of it like I was in this Finals.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#34 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:13 am

I think Bynum may be a fine player if he returns healthy. I just wouldn't count on a 22 year old to be the difference between winning a championship and getting blasted in game 6.

The Lakers need grissled veterans who know how to sacrifice on the court in order to win. What they don't need is a young player in a contract year trying to prove he is a max salary dude.

Bynum will help a lot. Artest would help a lot more. He could be the Dennis Rodman of this era in terms of resurrecting his career after it was derailed by looniness.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#35 » by GuyClinch » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Lakers are favored because in the history of the NBA, repeating has typically been bad odds. duh.

Right. Just like how the C's had bad odd's to win the second round because the first round had gone seven. I think it never happened according to ESPN. And then they had bad odds to win the ECF because they had gone to seven in each of the first two series. And then they had bad odds to win the finals because the Lakers had gone what 12-3 in the postseason up into then while the C's had gone 12-6..

This are DUMB statistics that people (ESPN) are throwing out. As I said before in many threads - past performance is no guarantee of future results. We even had one Celtic "fan" guaranteeing that if we lost at home (to Detroit) we wouldn't win on the road and would automatically lose the series. <g>

All those prior statistics are created by different teams at different times and often are interesting coincidences. It's a good things the C's didn't buy into them and mail in game six.

Pete
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:33 pm

sam_I_am wrote:I think Bynum may be a fine player if he returns healthy. I just wouldn't count on a 22 year old to be the difference between winning a championship and getting blasted in game 6.

what about the difference between blowing a 24 point lead at home and not? could bynum make that much of a difference? i think so. and if so, it's 3-2 lakers headed to boston, and they're feeling pretty good about themselves.

my point is, we weren't THAT much better than the Lakers. we weren't 39 points better. Game 6 was one of the best moments ever, but i'm not crazy enough to think that that was representative of the series. it wasn't a sweep, it was 4-2. and by far the biggest hole for the lakers was rebounding and defense, and interior toughness. bynum is a HUGE improvement for them in all that. not because he's so great, but because they don't have anyone else. the next closest guy who gives them that is chris friggin mihm.
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:50 pm

There are certainly lots of ifs, ands, and buts about the Lakers. I think we all know that Kobe will NEVER be Jordan (see my user name!). But if they get Bynum back at 100% and he plays like he did before he got hurt, look out. With Bynum, the Lakers will have a pair of seven footers and the 6-10 Lamar Odom, who will become their fourth option offensively (you gotta admit, not a bad fourth option). Bynum also shut down Tim Duncan in a game this year, holding him to 5 points and 5 rebounds. Pretty good. Out west, also look out for San Antonio, New Orleans, and Portland.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by eatyourchildren » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:51 pm

GuyClinch wrote:
Lakers are favored because in the history of the NBA, repeating has typically been bad odds. duh.

Right. Just like how the C's had bad odd's to win the second round because the first round had gone seven. I think it never happened according to ESPN. And then they had bad odds to win the ECF because they had gone to seven in each of the first two series. And then they had bad odds to win the finals because the Lakers had gone what 12-3 in the postseason up into then while the C's had gone 12-6..

This are DUMB statistics that people (ESPN) are throwing out. As I said before in many threads - past performance is no guarantee of future results. We even had one Celtic "fan" guaranteeing that if we lost at home (to Detroit) we wouldn't win on the road and would automatically lose the series. <g>

All those prior statistics are created by different teams at different times and often are interesting coincidences. It's a good things the C's didn't buy into them and mail in game six.

Pete

Okay. Then put money on them to repeat. Like your entire savings.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#39 » by Kefa461 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Whatever gets you thru the night....... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#40 » by GreenGrizz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:13 am

Hey, guys, Cleveland and Atlanta played tougher against us. I am not sure how the Lakers can be better next year. I still think they lucked out until they saw us. They beat Denver while Melo was already in trouble with the law. They beat Utah not a great play-off team. They beat San Antonio that didn't look like the one you saw before.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#41 » by campybatman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Yes, this trade makes some sense and could be more feasible a deal then acquiring Artest since rumor has it that he could opt out to sign with Dallas to be reunited with Rick Carlisle.

Would be interesting if Miami could then pair Odom with Brand if the latter were to opt out as well.

Still, didn't Marion feel slighted in Phoenix playing behind Stoudemire and Nash like how Joe Johnson felt before winding up with Atlanta. In Los Angeles, Marion would be playing third or even fourth fiddle to Bryant, Gasol and Bynum.

Lamar Odom had a rocky Finals and could be on his way out. Odom's old team, Miami, is seen as one potential destination. Pat Riley has always loved Odom and had him for a season before using him as a piece to get Shaquille O'Neal from the Lakers in 2004. New York Daily News

As Bryant said an hour after losing to the Celtics, the Lakers need to develop into a better defensive team. "You can't expect to win a championship by focusing on the offensive end," he said. Miami's Shawn Marion would address some of those defensive concerns. He might also be a better fit than Odom when the Lakers start Bynum at center and Pau Gasol at power forward. While their contracts don't exactly match up (Marion makes $17 million next season and Odom is at $14.6 mil), a package deal involving those two players might work. They're both entering the final season of their contracts. New York Daily News
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#42 » by eatyourchildren » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:59 pm

I'd actually prefer Artest over Marion. Marion is always salty about something. That's not very good for the locker room.
And while you must be thinking, well isn't Artest isn't worse? I believe his relationship with Kobe (which is phenomenal: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/05/newest-bdssp-hire-ron-artest-interviews.html and the the fondness that Phil has for him (which is the 'respect' that Artest wants as being treated as a top 5-10 player, source: am570 Loose Cannons).

But...I don't think the Lakers can get either.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by campybatman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:22 am

If I were the Lakers, given the choice, I would trade for Artest ahead of Marion. I was saying that a trade for Marion could be more feasible since he and Odom's salaries are closer to each other than Artest's salary. It's said that Miami and Marion and agent are working on a contract extension, so it probably doesn't matter.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#44 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 am

I'd actually prefer Artest over Marion. Marion is always salty about something. That's not very good for the locker room.

I'd prefer Lebron to Posey but I don't think its going to happen. Why would the Kings trade Artest for Odom? It's not good value for the Kings - and they don't like the Lakers. It makes little sense..

pete
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#45 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:02 pm

HitMan52 wrote:Just to let you guys know the only way Ron Artest goes to the lakers is if he opts out and takes the MLE to go to LA because there is no way the Maloofs (Kings owners) will ever do any favors for the lakers whether it be trading him for Odom or helping them in a sign and trade unless it is completely lopsided in favor for the Lakers.

Let me put it this way in order for the Lakers to trade for Artest it would take either Bynum or Kobe
but for anyone else you could get him for pennies on the dollar.

Maybe the Kings want to help out another Western Conference team by trading Artest to either the Rockets or the Spurs

Parker
Manu
Artest
Duncan
Oberto

That is one great defensive starting five

or

Alston
McGrady
Artest/Battier
Landry/Scola
Yao

Rockets will have two of the best defensive perimeters in the league and maybe the Maloofs help out Adelman.

But I am probably just talking out of my ass.

^^Nailed it. And Artest has already said there is no way in hell he's going to opt out and take the MLE. So scratch that off the Lakers' list.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by campybatman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Well, after reading this... So, much for him to Dallas rumor.

In the past week, several reports have insisted Ron-Ron might act like the card he is, opt out of his $7.4 million contract with Sacramento for 2008-09, and take a mid-level exception (starting at $5.5 million, or thereabouts) with a contender like L.A. or Dallas. Stein confronts the consideration head-on:

Artest followed up our Tuesday interview with an e-mail Thursday in which he said: "Even if I was to opt out, which probably won't happen, I will never accept a mid-level exception. So people trying to figure out possibilities should get that out of their heads."

If Ron-Ron changes course (HOOPSWORLD has reported his camp is considering it), he won't have a choice. The Kings won't be taking back salary which extends past next summer in any sign-and-trade deal. Teams aren't going to mortgage the farm for an enigma like Artest. Philadelphia and Memphis ain't throwing their free agent money at Ron-Ron. And no one else can offer more than the mid-level, barring some impromptu cap-clearing.

If Ron's agent has his wits about him (no comment), he won't let Artest opt out. The best case really is for Artest to get traded (in July or February), rally a team in vicious success, and get an anxiety-ridden long-term deal from that team.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/ ... mid-level/
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#47 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:47 pm

If the Lakers are counting solely on the unproven Kareem Abdul-JaBynum Chamberlain kid to put them over the top next year, they're in for a rude awakening! :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#48 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 pm

I'd be shocked if the Kings trade Artest to LA. They hate the entire franchise, and even if they cannot compete with the Lakers right now, they will not be the facilitators to the dawn of a potential LA championship. IF Artest gets traded (I doubt he does), then it will be to a team in the East. Maybe some sort of S&T with the Wizards for Gilbert Arenas, or something perhaps with the Hawks if they lose Childress.

Honestly, the Lakers don't need an Artest or a Marion to get over the hump. They need a guy like James Posey. Someone with some toughness and an ability to hit open shots. They have enough scoring across the board with Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Fisher, Sasha, etc.

What they need more than anything is a change in attitude. Defense wins championships, whether it was the Shaq-led Lakers, the Spurs, the Heat, or the Pistons. All of those teams could play stifling defense in the playoffs, just like Boston. LA has the pieces, with Farmar, Kobe, and Bynum, to be a good defensive team. Add a defensive-minded player like Posey and you are that much closer. But the individual parts won't matter if they don't commit from the first practice of summer camp to defend. IF they do that, then they deserve to the favorites for the title.

Like it or not, the Celtics are at a plateau. Hopefully they stay here for 1-3 more years, but they aren't getting any better. LA took Boston to 6 games despite no defense and no Bynum. They have more opportunity for growth. What I think, more than D or Bynum, may slow them or stop them from this is, is that other teams have even more room for growth. A team like New Orleans or Portland have an opportunity for a dramatic improvement and are REALLY young (unlike LA, which is pseudo-young).
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by campybatman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 am

Also, the league might be monitoring one-sided trades more closely now after the whole Memphis and L.A. Lakers trade controversy.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 am

I'm not sure about us having plateaued. I can see room for major improvement in Rondo, just in terms of consistency. Perk isn't going to get much better, but Powe very well could. Then add a draft pick in there too, and maybe Baby gets it going. As long as our other main guys don't decline any, I think we very well could be better next year.

I don't think we'll win 66 games again because we can afford to pace ourselves to just make sure we get HCA, probably in the 60-win range. But I don't think we'll be taken to 7 games by our 1st round opponent next year either. The year of experience of playing together will help this team more than any single player addition.

Return to Boston Celtics