ImageImageImage

Stay Put or Make Major Moves?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

UHar_Vinnie
Bench Warmer
And1: 425

Stay Put or Make Major Moves? 

Post#1 » by UHar_Vinnie » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 pm

So, what do you guys think Ainge would do? Would he simply keep the current team to the extent possible (e.g., Posey, Brown and House may or may not resign with the team), and add veteran players who would be willing to come to Boston at a veteran's minimum for a shot at the ring, and pick players in the draft. Or would he shake up the team in some fashion, with the idea that other contenders such as the Lakers, Spurs, Pistons and Cavs might be looking to make major improvements, and we can't keep the status quo? Obviously, KG, PP and Rondo are untouchables, but some folks here would advocate moving Ray Ray while his market value is at its height.

I personally would let the same group take another shot at the title (with relatively minor improvements, unless someone like Grant Hill would sign with us for a minimum), and then reassessing the situation after the next season, when Ray would have one more season left on his current deal.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Re: Stay Put or Make Major Moves? 

Post#2 » by canman1971 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 pm

He'll make adjustments at the bottom of the roster. Resign Posey is the only must from a FA standpoint. I want House back, but I don't see him as important.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#3 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:30 pm

A lot depends on whether Posey gets the full MLE. Probably going to keep the core intact, could add a semi-project free agent. I don't think Allen gets dealt. Who would you get in return?
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,802

Post#4 » by meatball sub » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We just won the championship. Why would Danny make any major moves?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#5 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I don't think anything major will happen, I don't think we'll make any moves to trim the payroll, and I don't think there will be opportunities to upgrade the roster significantly. Maybe 1-2 bench players through free agency, maybe a trade of our draft pick or for a draft pick.

That said, I'm sure management is level-headed enough to realize that we don't have a perfect team. If there's any GM who would make significant changes to a championship roster, it's Danny Ainge.
sox839
Senior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by sox839 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 am

I think that there will two or three minor moves. The draft pick is one , a backup center either PJ or pollard will return, and resigning posey .
bceltic55
Rookie
And1: 62

Post#7 » by bceltic55 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 am

Posey will be resigned. House may also be resigned. Tony Allen and Scal might be moved and also either Big Baby or Powe. Our needs are a back up center and pg. Pruitt may be our back up at pg, but we need a tall center / pf for when Perk is out. Against tall lineups we are in trouble with Powe and Davis.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#8 » by dsorc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:21 am

I see three moves/areas that Danny will look at: backup PG, backup wing, and backup C. Posey resigning would take care of backup wing. Draft may take care of backup C since there is no doubt in my mind that PJ will walk away into the sunshine. Plenty of options at backup PG where I think we'll try to improve over House. We have no major free agents beyond Posey and no need to get substantially better as we just won a championship.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#9 » by threrf23 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:19 am

I personally would let the same group take another shot at the title (with relatively minor improvements, unless someone like Grant Hill would sign with us for a minimum), and then reassessing the situation after the next season, when Ray would have one more season left on his current deal.

I'm reluctant to embrace this strategy. This is part of the reason the Spurs weren't able to repeat this season. They stuck with mediocre aging vets.

Our opponents are going to get better, and we don't know for sure what might be in store for us in terms of injuries or what not. Lakers get a bit better simply by getting Bynum back. Spurs get Tiago Splitter and probably make other moves and reassessments. Mavs still have Dirk and Josh Howard and J Kidd (who will have an expiring contract I believe) - offense should take care of itself and with Carlisle at the helm their defense should be tough. Miami has DWade, Shawn Marion, and overlooked Dorell Wright and a top draft pick. With the right trade, Bulls could be a really solid team even if you ignore they have the top pick in the draft.

Should we be considered the favorites to win it all next year? Yes, IMO, and that shouldn't necessarily change even if it is assumed we stick with essentially the same roster. But IMO, in general, we've ideally gotta be like Bill Belichik and the Pats keep making moves and stay a step ahead of the curb.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#10 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:41 am

I'd change everything, to be honest. Look how successful that was this past offseason. Think of all the change and how they won an extra 42 games. If they can win an extra 42 games next year, they'll set a record for wins in a season I believe.

Here is what I would do:

Pierce + Rondo for LeBron and Delonte
KG for Kobe and Gasol
Ray Allen and 30th pick for Elton Brand

Starting lineup of Delonte, Kobe, LeBron, Brand, Gasol. Go to the triangle offense, where Delonte would excel.

Let Posey go, and sign Mickael Pietrus to the MLE. Bring back House.

Maybe a couple small moves mid-season when guys like Cassell and Brown see a prime opportunity to latch onto a 108-win team.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#11 » by SonicYouth34 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:09 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I'd change everything, to be honest. Look how successful that was this past offseason. Think of all the change and how they won an extra 42 games. If they can win an extra 42 games next year, they'll set a record for wins in a season I believe.

Here is what I would do:

Pierce + Rondo for LeBron and Delonte
KG for Kobe and Gasol
Ray Allen and 30th pick for Elton Brand

Starting lineup of Delonte, Kobe, LeBron, Brand, Gasol. Go to the triangle offense, where Delonte would excel.

Let Posey go, and sign Mickael Pietrus to the MLE. Bring back House.

Maybe a couple small moves mid-season when guys like Cassell and Brown see a prime opportunity to latch onto a 108-win team.

:lol:

But on a serious note we don't need major changes, re-sign Po-Z for the MLE, get a back up PG like Royal Ivey and get a big man with length ala PJ. See, its that simple. Get'er done Danny
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#12 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:30 am

Rondo/Chris Duhon/House
Allen/Allen/Pruitt
Pierce/Posey
Garnett/Powe/Davis/Scalabrine
Perkins/Rob Swift
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,471

Post#13 » by AlCelticFan » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:54 am

Bleeding Green, you had me cracking up with that post!
UHar_Vinnie
Bench Warmer
And1: 425

Post#14 » by UHar_Vinnie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:01 pm

What fueled my original post is that Ainge has said that, if he were the GM back then, he would have traded Parrish, McHale or Bird in their later years (when they were still very productive but a few years from the end of their careers) in order to continue the success of the franchise. If he is willing to part with those Hall of Famers and heroes in Boston, I am pretty certain he would take a hard look at any proposed trade that could start and extend a dynasty. I am not sure Ray Ray's trade value would be any higher in the future, other than as an expiring contract.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#15 » by greenbeans » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:48 pm

i know its a complete pipedream, but if there is ANY way we could get Ben Gordon as a 6th man at backup pg and relief of Ray wed be challenging the Bulls record. but, like i said, pipedream
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#16 » by JCizzle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Learn from the Red Sox IMO. Don't overpay just to keep everyone together. Pick your battles and think about the future - both long and short term if possible. We want this to be the building block.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#17 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:07 pm

I want Elton brand as our new starting 5. If we have to trade someone vital to this years time I would do it.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#18 » by Tenbomber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 am

bove310 wrote:If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We just won the championship. Why would Danny make any major moves?

Yeah but!

I bet Ainge dosen't stand pat....just a hunch here....I can't see any of The New Big Three" leaving town...you don't mess with that core group.....that's a shure way to destroy chemistry!

Even if Posey remains, and dosen't choose "greener pa$ture$" and House resigns, we will still need a backup point guard and a backup center who is an "enforcer" like Perk....

Tough order though on a tight budget?... but maybe Ainge can pull another rabbit out of his hat?....

He's good like that!

It might cost us a future draft pick and someone like Big Baby or a Leon....though I would hate to see either one go.....but I hated to see Al Jefferson go too!....
Friar Dan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#19 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 am

Well, here's how the roster looks right now

PG - Rondo, OPEN, Pruitt
SG - R. Allen, T. Allen, OPEN
SF - Pierce, OPEN, Scalabrine
PF - Garnett, Powe, Davis
C - Perkins, OPEN, OPEN

This assumes that Posey opts out (as he should). I don't think Cassell returns unless it's as a 15th man and we get shutout looking for another reserve PG (and for the record, I think Pruitt is a year away from being the full-time 2nd string PG). I think PJ Brown retires. I wouldn't be surprised, though, to se Pollard return on another vet minimum deal. I also would be happy to see House return (but only as a reserve 2, not relying on him to be the backup PG), but I think you need part of the MLE for him, and if it's a choice between bringing Posey back and brining House back, it's Posey.

We have the MLE, I think the LLE (let's assume we do), and will have to fill out the roster with vet minimum deals and maybe the #30 pick. Let's go in reverse order:

Resigning Pollard takes care of 3rd string C. You could probably get another decent body on a minimum deal to play some backup C to Perk (Doleac, Foyle, Elson, maybe even Juwan Howard a little).

I'd see if we could get James Posey on a 3-year contract starting at $4mm a year. That eats a very big chunk out of the MLE, but Posey is probably worth it while this core has a 2-year window for future championship contenders open. Does that leave enough to address backup PG?

I'd LOVE to add Chris Duhon to this mix - could we sign him starting at the remainder of the MLE (I'd guess north of $1.5mm this year) for 2 years? If not, names like Ivey and Darrell Armstrong are in the mix.

So, perfect world for me:
PG - Rondo, Duhon, Pruitt
SG - R. Allen, T. Allen, House
SF - Pierce, Posey, Scal
PF - Ganrett, Powe, Davis
C - Perkins, Foyle, Pollard
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#20 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:35 am

Well we will know more after the draft. I think Ainge will draft two athletic players that he can quickly make NBA ready.. Guys like say Bill Walker and DeMarcus Nelson....

I still felt despite our championship that we could have used a bolt of athleticsm off the bench at times. BBD needs to shape up as well. Weight gain in the offseason could lead to the end of his Celtic tenure. TA is up in the air as well as perhaps we draft a TA replacement.

Return to Boston Celtics