ImageImageImage

Oh ****! Cassell says he is coming back next season!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Oh ****! Cassell says he is coming back next season!! 

Post#21 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:05 pm

no no no no no no no no no no :noway: no no no no no no no no no no to the idea of sam cassell being a celtic next year. I want pruitt and rondo, and house. No sam. He is a ballhog, he had that one great game against the spurs, and for that I applaud him, but all of his other games killed ubuntu. It was nice seeing him cheering on the bench, but no to the idea of him being here.

And Why?? You just won a title. Why bother coming back. 3 in enough sam.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#22 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Nooo!!!

But the C's aren't obligated to him for next year, right?

So his yapping about this to the Baltimore media sounds more like someone hawking his wares to the other team, leaving it somehow just implied that he might have the option to stay with Boston, right?

Sounds like he's gearing up for free agency in a couple of weeks, not like he's got any sort of promise from Danny.

Whew!!!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#23 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:06 pm

No. House is the only vet PG we need. I'd like to see Pruitt get some burn and or the guy(s) we draft get a shot as well. Doc doesn't do that when he has veteran options for the most part. Obviously you need Vets to win it all but if the C's want to be a force for the next few years a bit of youth would help them.

Pete
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#24 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:17 pm

If anyone with half a brain didn't see during this playoffs that Cassell is horrible for this team (minus the few good big shots he hit) then I don't know what to tell you other than :censored:!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#25 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:20 pm

its not a horrible idea I suppose but Id rather not have him.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#26 » by P2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:43 pm

It is not important what he wants or thinks. He clearly disrupted the team during the playoffs, and if the fans realize that, you can bet that Danny does, too. Cassell won't be back with the Celtics next year.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#27 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:44 pm

^^Let's hope to hell you're right.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#28 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Iwant him to come back next year, as ET!!!
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#29 » by tombattor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Tell me what anyone has seen from Cassell this year that warrants his return to the Celtics? He's done all he can to prevent this team from winning the title. We won in spite of him.

He fills absolutely no need on this team. Pruitt can play backup PG. Why are people unable to understand that this is 2008. Not 2002. Cassell will be even worse next year because he'll be slower, plays even less D, etc.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#30 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Just like Dave Roberts with the Red Sox, I will always appreciate the midseason addition of PJ and Sam to help win this title. Even if he didn't do much on the court, he added a championship presence and clearly was a big part of the lockerroom. Now, like Roberts, I also don't believe just because a guy helped you win a ring it doesn't mean the team has to retain them the next year.

It's time for Gabe Pruitt!
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#31 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You have to love Cassell! The guy still thinks he is a great player. This board should be a lot of fun next season if Sam is back...
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#32 » by Jammer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:02 am

When Doc Rivers offered Sam a coaching position, Sam should have asked Doc to schedule his retirement party.

Sam is not astute enough, savvy, possessing political acumen to pick up on this.

Sammy probably thinks he can "force" KG and Ray Ray to get him a contract.

Sammy has a better shot at being put in charge of snow removal for the TD center, uh, I mean Gahden, if you get my drift.

The Celtics will pick up a guard who can protect the ball and make shots. I'm such a fan I choose not to reveal it here (it's a pick), lest they not land the guy. The guy will be expected to play behind Eddie House and not complain.

I think that the Celts will try to move Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis to move up, get additional picks (with a $3 million check accompanying Pruitt or Davis, of course).

I never felt Sammy got the offense in gear. I always thought Sammy just looked for his own shot, which he can't hit anymore, if there is any defense played.

The team seemed to play better with House, plus House has quick hands on defense, an encouraging attitute for teammates, and executes a moving screen like the lead blocker from the 1960's Green Bay Packers power sweep, but doesn't get called for a foul.

I see Cassell as just an anchor at this point. So, to put him to good use, tie a rope around him and use him to dock Wyc's boat in Boston Harbor.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#33 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:22 am

im not ashamed of having wanted cassell in the first place. he has still been a very good, and even great at times, player in this league, and he had some good games for us, although he didnt play well in the postseason.

im not against bringing him back, but it depends on the lay of the roster.

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#34 » by sully00 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:47 am

I think that Sam just enjoyed the ride, he isn't expecting 30 mpg. I think some of you have decided that your opinion of his game somehow relates to him as a person or how he was in the locker room. From all the talk from the players, especially the young guys Sam was quite a leader in the locker room and a positive presence around the team whether he was playing well or not or even playing at all.

The problem that Boston has with Sam is that the situation is exactly the way he said it was. They wanted him and he wanted them. He gave up money to come to Boston, essentially what he would make on the vet min for next year. Players like Sam and PJ are a part of the plan as Boston moves forward you have to treat these guys right. I am not saying you have to bring him back but it is important how we treat both of these guys.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#35 » by Jammer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:44 am

sully:

Great points.

However, 2008 and 2009 have some differences.

The Celtics brought Sammy in because he forced his way out of the Clippers with David Falk, and he won a championship at age 38, which he wanted. The Celtics wanted an insurance guy in case of injury to Rondo or House, plus someone to protect the ball in situations where House could not stand up to the pressure (Lindsay Hunter), plus someone who could come in off the bench and provide bench scoring, especially when other guys (Rondo, House, Posey, etc. were off).

So, Sammy, although a disappointment, filled a role, and an available roster spot.

I suspect that the Celtics only want to carry 13 players next season, since they will have to offer Posey a full mid-level and a multi-year deal to keep him. Actually, I was shocked they didn't offer him a multi-year deal last year, I was truly shocked when they gave $1.5 million of the mid-level to House when they were chasing Posey AND had the $1.8 million LLE (anything up to that number for 1 or 2 years) to offer House. I thought it was a blunder.

Anyway, moving on, I think that the Celtics will re-sign Posey, House, Tony Allen and Scot Pollard (who has already offered to sign for minimum, even though he knows he will get better offers); while I think PJ will prefer to do a repeat of 2008 and skip training camp (which also means September scrimmages before camp), as well as the first 45 games of the season, and again be available the first of February if wanted back.

So, without draft picks, trades, or outside free agents, I think that the Celtics are thinking:

PG: Rajon Rondo / Eddie House

SG: Ray Allen / Tony Allen

SF: Paul Pierce / James Posey

PF: Kevin Garnett / James Posey / Leon Powe

C: Kendrick Perkins / Scot Pollard (healthy)

I still think that the Celtics will try to dump Scalabrine, if only for a second round pick, to a team that needs a strong locker room presence (Atlanta would be perfect, they only have 9 players under contract, but unfortunately, no cap room).

I also think that the Celtics will offer Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis around the league, gift wrapped in $3 million checks, to try to land another pick higher than #30.

Something like Pruitt + Davis + $3 million

to the Clippers for the Wolves top ten protected pick and the Clippers 2008 #35 Pick.

Then, swap the Wolves top ten protected pick for the Blazers #13 pick.

I don't think that the rumor for the Clippers dealing with Minnesota will work because Brook Lopez won't last until #7.

I see Danny trying to trade up to get a center with length (true center length),
use the #30 pick on a wing player that can provide bench scoring,
and then use an early second round pick that he adds to nab a point guard to play behind Eddie House.

That would total 13 players, and leave two spots open, one for PJ if they want to bring him up around February 1, and one if someone gets bought out or, heaven forbid, they want to activate Coach Cassell.

Sam wants to play another season because players make more than coaches.

Sam's biggest asset for the Celtics this year was getting Ray Allen out of his funk to play like Ray Allen, and to a lesser extent, getting Pierce out of his funk, also.

-- Jammer
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#36 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:40 am

Wow..

You can't be serious. Sam gets credit for ending Ray Allen's slump as well as Pierce's? Does he also get credit for Obama's victory?!

Also Scalabrine isn't going anywhere. He is better then Cassell.

Pete
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#37 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 pm

^^Pete, :rofl: and correct!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#38 » by tombattor » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Just like Dave Roberts with the Red Sox, I will always appreciate the midseason addition of PJ and Sam to help win this title. Even if he didn't do much on the court, he added a championship presence and clearly was a big part of the lockerroom. Now, like Roberts, I also don't believe just because a guy helped you win a ring it doesn't mean the team has to retain them the next year.

It's time for Gabe Pruitt!

Come on bro! Dave Roberts' steal was by far the biggest play in that entire playoff run. Which one of Sam's misses is equivalent to that?

PJ Brown on the other hand, made one of the biggest shots in our championship run, in game 7 against Cavs.

PJ Brown was invaluable to this team, as was Roberts was for 2004 Red Sox. Cassell was more like Eric Gagne of 2007, in that he did all he can to kill our chances, but luckily the team won in spite of them.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#39 » by Kefa461 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Still fighting about Sam......Sam is like the team mascot......the glue the team needs....he's like ET.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#40 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't know who tombattor and I will have to hate on if Sam goes...that being said, I still want him gone!!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics