ImageImageImage

Kobe, tell me how Shaq's...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Kobe, tell me how Shaq's... 

Post#21 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Image
Moment For Love,

I have always like walters voice.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#22 » by Collinto » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:21 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Shaquille O’Neal will lose his special deputy’s badge in Maricopa County because of language he used in a rap video that mocks former teammate Kobe Bryant.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said the Phoenix Suns center’s use of a racially derogatory word and other foul language left him no choice. Arpaio made Shaq a special deputy in 2006 and promoted him to colonel of his largely ceremonial posse later that year.

“I want his two badges back,” Arpaio told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Because if any one of my deputies did something like this, they’re fired. I don’t condone this type of racial conduct.”

Shaq gets slapped by sheriff for rap about Bryant
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

I heard this too. I mean, obviously Shaq is the biggest 13 year old alive....stuck in perpetual adolescents. I can’t imagine anyone found that classy or mature.

Imagine MJ doing something like that…don’t get me wrong, very funny and entertaining.

But they gave him a freakin’ badge? A badge that has to be returned? Maybe if he sits on the naughty seat for 10 minutes they will give it back!

You must be kidding…you couldn’t write this stuff, I swear.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#23 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:23 am

The point that can't be missed... “Because if any one of my deputies did something like this, they’re fired." That is to say, Hollywood celebrities and star athletes aren't typically subject to the consequences that average people are subject to at their jobs.

I don't understand how something so important to S. O'Neal can be suddenly taken for granted. I mean you can free style as a rapper and then you can go off on a tangent like Shaq and blurt out disturbing feelings. They say you say things when you're rapping off the top of your head, but is that what he was thinking at that exact moment? Again, that's veering off into disturbing territory.

"Shaq has completed more than 1,200 hours of training and he attended the police academy in Los Angeles before passing his exam. He said it has been his dream since childhood to be a police officer, but "winning the athletic lottery a couple times" put his dream on hold.

O'Neal said that since he is almost done playing ball, and because he has "been a leader, not a follower and stayed out of trouble," he can pursue his goal of becoming a law enforcement officer."

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-N ... al/1$27337
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,380

Post#24 » by tlee324 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 am

Kareem is so much better than Shaq, it's not even funny. Better passer, better rebounder, better away from the basket, better on the FT line, better defender, more durable, more reliable, in better conditioning for the better part of his career, and a better teammate and leader.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#25 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:47 am

Wait a minute.KB24 had his own album and I didn't know about it!!! I want that thing in the worst way. Does he rap or sing on it. LOL
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#26 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:When I was in elementary school, my friend had one of Shaq's tapes. I remember only one song that went:
Do you want me to shoot it? NO!
Do you want to pass it? NO!
Do you want me to slam it? YEAH!

Even as a little kid I remember thinking, well in certain situations, sure you oughta pass it, and even Shaq isn't going to be able to dunk on everyone.

I remember hearing this song when it came out...one of the WORST pieces of garbage ever.

Shaq can be likable sometimes, but then he does or says something stupid to remind you he's a 10 yr old trapped inside a behemoth's body.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,160

Post#27 » by chakdaddy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Only vaguely related, but I'd like to take a moment to poke fun at Kobe's press conference response when asked the Celtics were the best defense he'd ever faced.

"I've seen a lot of stiff ones."

Yes Kobe, but what about the defenses?
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#28 » by Prophet_C » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:26 pm

chakdaddy wrote:Only vaguely related, but I'd like to take a moment to poke fun at Kobe's press conference response when asked the Celtics were the best defense he'd ever faced.

"I've seen a lot of stiff ones."

Yes Kobe, but what about the defenses?

Weak
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#29 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:59 pm

A friend of mine bought me Walter's album for my birthday one year. Uh, thanks? I listened to part of a song ONCE and then had to wash out my ears with hot olive oil and dishsoap. It was still more pleasant than listening to "Moment for Love."
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#30 » by tombattor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 pm

Shaq's rap about Kobe is funny as hell. Kobe is a douche.

But Kareem was better than Shaq. Kareem, IMO, is one of the 3 greatest players of all time, along with Russell and MJ. Shaq was the best in the league for a while, but I don't think he belongs in the same breath.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:27 pm

bruno sundov wrote:Wait a minute.KB24 had his own album and I didn't know about it!!! I want that thing in the worst way. Does he rap or sing on it. LOL

I would imagine that Bryant raps. Here's the album's track list. That's funny that Chris Webber's ex, Banks, appears on the album.

1. K.O.B.E. ft. Tyra Banks
2. Thug Poet ft. Nas, Broady Boy
3. Philly Live ft. Beanie Sigel, Black Thought
4. Hold Me ft. Brian McKnight
5. Papa Papa (Remix) ft. Tamia, Jermaine Dupri
6. Thug Poet (Remix) ft. Nas, Broady Boy
7. K.O.B.E. (Instrumental)

Here's some excerpted comments on NBA players releasing albums.

LeBron James

With it looking like LeBron James is going to cut a rap album [via SPORTSbyBROOKS], I'm already preparing myself not to buy it.

I'm not sure why LeBron wants to join the list of "athletes who made **** albums" but it seems there's no stopping him.

So then not for LeBron's sake, but for your sake, let's take a look back at some of the albums and singles put out by pro athletes, and we don't just mean the crap Shaq and Kobe did. Even Gary Payton, T.O., J.R. Rider, Malik Sealy and an F1 driver have busted some recorded lyrics.

B-Ball's Best Kept Secret

This one is an absolute classic. Someone decided in 1994 to get a whole group of NBA stars together and have them record an album, which was entitled B-Ball's Best Kept Secret. I think it's still a secret to this day. Anyway, here are some tracks by each player:

Believe it or not you can still buy this thing on EBay. I may have to do that, just to hear Jason Kidd's mad skills.

Shaq

Shaq actually recorded four albums: Shaq Diesel, Shaq-Fu da Return, You Can't Stop the Reign, and Respect. Even worse, he cut a "Best of Shaq" album as well, bringing his grand total of albums to FIVE. Shaq was very humble with his song titles, such as "I'm Outstanding."

Allen Iverson

Went by the name Jewels as a rapper. Cut the wonderfully lyrical "40 Bars" single where he swore every other word and incessently bashed gays. As a result of the controversy, Iverson never released his "Misunderstood" album. It had 15 tracks and one song with Jay-Z featured.

Kobe Bryant

A total nightmare. He released two singles, K.O.B.E. and Thug Poet. And that single cover definitely makes him look like one tough rapper. And by "tough rapper" I mean "complete tool." His singles were so bad, plans for his Visions album (man that's a horrible album name) were scrapped. On the plus side, Tyra Banks was featured on K.O.B.E. Here's a live performance if you're so inclined.

Tony Parker

The album title is TP. Yes, TP, as in what I'll do to any store that sells this ****. I know exactly what you're thinking, and I'm pretty sure Tony didn't get the memo. French rap is also not in any way hardcore. Even my French friends tell me this.

http://images-cache.cd-wow.com/images/1 ... 05_big.jpg

Chris Webber

Released an album entitled 2 Much Drama. I think we now know why he's never won a title.

Ron Artest

Artest released My World in 2006. On it he goes after everyone, including for some reason Matt Lauer. (Huh?) “Matt Lauer, up on NBC. You look like a girl don’t talk to me.” Oh snap! Lauer you got served! Anyway, the album sold 343 copies in its first week. Artest should probably avoid getting suspended from the NBA in the future and stop pissing off Lauer.

My other favorite Artest line: "I admit I used to smoke right before games, had to ease the pain, in the brain, was insane, halftime hit the liquor store for a half pint." Wait, isn't that supposed to rhyme?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _World.jpg

Wayman Tisdale

Former NBA player is actually a decent Jazz musician and has released eight albums. Too bad they have (Please Use More Appropriate Word) titles like Hang Time, In The Zone, and Power Forward.

Tisdale has actually recorded several albums so he could be the most successful of the NBA players turn music artist. http://www.waymantisdale.com/

And then there's Troy Hudson's albums.

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/M ... _thumb.jpg
Undrafted

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VaO ... ixtape.JPG
Back On The Block Mixtape, Volume 1

Timberwolves guard Troy Hudson’s first rap album, “Undrafted,” sold 78 copies in the first week after it was released on July 17.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/2007/0 ... ks-at-rap/

I have to admit, I didn’t give MC Troy Hudson much of a chance. When T-Hud’s Back on the Block, Vol. 1 mixtape showed up in the mail a while back, I was ready — like anyone who knows the history of athletes-turned-rappers — to pop in the CD, have a laugh at some cornball lyrics, take the free t-shirt and never think about it again.

Turns out I was wrong. Not saying T-Hud is the next JR Writer in the booth, but he’s a welcome exception from some of the musical nonsense that’s been put out by pro ballers with enough cash to finance a hip-hop side job.

http://dimemag.com/2007/04/t-hud-back-on-the-block/
HighAboveCourtside
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#32 » by HighAboveCourtside » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:02 pm

What about Walter McCarty's classic album "Moment For Love"???

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=7190792&style=music&frm=frooglemusic
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#33 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Anyone else remember back in the day when Walter was on the C's and he sang the anthem at a game? Guy had a good voice....
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 pm

HighAboveCourtside wrote:What about Walter McCarty's classic album "Moment For Love"???

I already mention him in my previous post.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#35 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Nobody will ever find Kobe's CD because it was never released. Good luck if you can find it though.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Yeah, but MP3 files probably exist of Bryant's singles. You can still find some of Iverson's tracks, I think.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:56 pm

I love it. Everyone wants to be a musician. I wish these guys would put together a hardcore metal band. Then you couldn't tell if it sounded like junk, it all sounds the same anyways.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:
HighAboveCourtside wrote:What about Walter McCarty's classic album "Moment For Love"???

I already mention him in my previous post.

the previous post is the post of the week for me. We should have post of the week. they could just be outrageous stupid comments. Or something as entertaining as that last one.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,160

Post#39 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Don't forget the beat Webber did on one of Nas' most recent albums - it was very nice actually. There's hope for NBAers in music if they stay behind the boards apparently.

I remember it was interesting how Iverson's flaw was being horribly boring on the mic - not being oversimplistic and corny as is the usual downfall of a celebrity.

I got a Webber vinyl for a quarter once too, it was not memorable.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:28 pm

I have been trying to learn to play the guitar for about 7 years now. Way more difficult than perfecting my jumper. Music is very hard to be good. In saying that the pro athletes ,Doug Flutie comes to mind, should leave it to the musicians. msuicians practiced their craft for hours while you were out practicing yours.

Return to Boston Celtics