ImageImageImage

JO to Toronto done deal.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

JO to Toronto done deal. 

Post#1 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 pm

It is reported on Yahoo and on the trade board. TJ Ford and the 17th pick. Makes no sense to me to jumpshooting PF. Just another soft team we will beat up in the playoffs.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Re: JO to Toronto done deal. 

Post#2 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Nah. That's a good deal for Toronto. They lose almost nothing and gain alot of defense in the interior. I still don't think they are winning a championship but it's an upgrade.

Pete
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#3 » by Dogen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Done deal? Wow, that was fast.

Good move for Toronto if it is true.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#4 » by Collinto » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:02 pm

So Indy now has two over-paid, injury prone PG's...interesting.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by SonicYouth34 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Nah. That's a good deal for Toronto. They lose almost nothing and gain alot of defense in the interior. I still don't think they are winning a championship but it's an upgrade.

QFT
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
Green Menace
Junior
And1: 10

Post#6 » by Green Menace » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Pacers had better offers over the years
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Post#7 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:45 pm

I like the trade for Toronto too. Trade an extra point guard for a great BIG. Balance their roster and eliminate some of that extra depth that they don't really need :) They definitely improved their team some this year, so to me that is a success. The 17th pick is not going to get a very great player anyway, most likely.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#8 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Why didn't they wait until draft day to do the trade? Doesn't this handicap what Bird can do with next year's pick? If I recall correctly, trading his 2009 pick would now be off limits.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#9 » by Scalamental » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:24 pm

I can see this trade going two ways. One is that Jermaine plays as a physical center, while bosh plays a kg type of role, playing on a defensive string (not comparing him to kg as in skill or intensity).

or

This turns into a "formidable front court" just like two other lugs that were put together that looked like they might have done well on paper... did you here that boston? formidable...
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#10 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 pm

So TOR will have JO,CB and Bargs who are all pretty much the same player. Jump shooting bigmen. LOl!!!!
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,748

Post#11 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:20 am

They still can't beat us so...yawn.
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#12 » by MVP16 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 am

Solid trade for both teams. Toronto had to trade one of Calderon/Ford because you can't commit so much to 1 position. Indiana needed to trade O'Neal and start a new era.

Both O'Neal and Ford have big injury concerns so that's pretty much a wash for both teams. If O'Neal is healthy, he and Bosh could make a pretty good front court. JO would provide a much needed defensive presence for Toronto. Even then, I wouldn't say Toronto is a contender in the east. But if they can trade Bargnani + fillers for another impact player at a wing position, then they may become a contender in the eastern conference.

For Indiana, they get a good 25 year pg to build around with Granger. They also get an expiring contract in Nesterovic and another pick in the 1st round...some solid pieces to start rebuilding the team.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#13 » by Barry Lird » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:48 am

AlCelticFan wrote:I like the trade for Toronto too. Trade an extra point guard for a great BIG. Balance their roster and eliminate some of that extra depth that they don't really need :) They definitely improved their team some this year, so to me that is a success. The 17th pick is not going to get a very great player anyway, most likely.

Well, two or three years ago JO was regarded as one of the best bigs in the game (not one of my favorites, mind you, but that's how he was regarded).

He had some injury issues, and in my uninformed opinion, I think he's a dog in the way that Carter was a dog in Toronto. I think he'll be miraculously injury free next year, and he'll actually put out (leaving no doubt about the dog theory). So Toronto gives up Ford, a pretty good PG, but they had Calderon, who's just as good. They could come out smelling like a rose with this... maybe. I'll still dislike JO and regard him as a dog. A more talented Blount, but like I said, I think they'll be much improved this year, and like the previous poster said, possibly even formidable.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#14 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:04 am

Rocky5000 wrote:Why didn't they wait until draft day to do the trade?

The story says Toronto has to add filler to make the numbers work.

Well, it's not reported as being THAT done of a deal.

If they wait until after the draft, then the picked guy will count in the numbers, and Toronto will have to include less filler. Since the reporting says that filler is needed, that's what I expect will happen.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#15 » by MoBSTa » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 am

Some how if J.O. was not happy in Indiana I sure don't see him being happy in Toronto.

I also don't believe Bird is finished, maybe he already has a home for Tinsley in mind.
francishsu
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#16 » by francishsu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:32 am

Seems like a reasonable trade for both sides. Because Toronto has Calderon, they sacrifice less in the short term. At the same time, I think the Pacers got the most they could for JO.
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,895

Post#17 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:49 am

If this trade goes down, it's a slam dunk for Toronto. The Raptors are going to give some match up troubles in the frontcourt to many a team next year –including maybe the Celtics.

Jamaal Tinsley and T.J. Ford are very similar players in that they are both the injury-riddled type, they both want to start, they have troubles shooting the ball (although both seem to have improved as of late), and they can dish out a lot of assists when they are in the mood.

I assume Larry Bird must have a trade ready to happen to ship Tinsley out of town in exchange for something good. Otherwise, I'm not sure what he's thinking.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#18 » by rambo_ortega » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 am

great deal for tor. and i don't believe that JO is just a jump shooting big. he has nice post moves and a wider body than most big men with his skill set.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#19 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:59 am

Bird is probably kicking himself for all the offers he passed on, then had to settle for this one. Great deal for toronto.

I know we all hate toronto and all that ****, but you have to admit this is a good deal for them, they gave up basically nothing.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,895

Post#20 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:09 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:I know we all hate toronto and all that ****...

I don't hate Toronto or their fans. I live in Canada, which means that I get to make fun of them to their faces (always in a friendly manner). How great is that?

Return to Boston Celtics