ImageImageImage

If he is bought out?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

If he is bought out? 

Post#1 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:46 pm

I think I would take a flier on Stephon Marbury if he is bought out and would take the vet min.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Re: If he is bought out? 

Post#2 » by daveisceltics » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 pm

He's obviously not going to take the vet min.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I thought he might to play on a winning team, but I do realize that he is concided. So you are probably right.
Green Menace
Junior
And1: 10

Post#4 » by Green Menace » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm

he´d be the same as Cassalien only younger and worse locker room guy
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,071

Post#5 » by Dogen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:00 pm

We scared now!
Hey you! Can we come together?
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Green Menace wrote:he´d be the same as Cassalien only younger and worse locker room guy

Acctually I think we could use his scoring off the bench. He still has skill, Cassell dosent any longer.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#7 » by campybatman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Well, Robinson plans to participate in the summer league, again. So, perhaps, Robinson could start or New York will wait until the trade deadline to see if Marbury can improve his value before then.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#8 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 pm

To be honest they was talk about him amongst the C's when it looked like he would be bought last fall.

Paul didn't have a relationship with him and asked KG and others what they thought and the vibe around him is surprisingly positive.

It is easy to hate his game and for the most part I do, but I don't think he is necessarily a bad guy and sometimes that can be taken for granted. To be fair to the guy his career was kind destroyed by two notorious for such acts in Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas. LB has done nothing but undermine his stars, especially pgs at everyone of his record setting number of stops and Isiah just has the black thumb.

Knowing how MSG operates Steph would have to take a buy out that would deduct whatever salary earned from the buyout. While it is worth seeing if he can be worked into a deal this offseason after that it is probably best for them to part ways.

For the minimum in a 6th man bench scorer role it might be worth a look he still has plenty of talent. Last year no shot I would do this but it is the kind of risk a champion can take. Who knows maybe the guy can write a happy ending.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:10 pm

sully00 wrote:To be honest they was talk about him amongst the C's when it looked like he would be bought last fall.

Paul didn't have a relationship with him and asked KG and others what they thought and the vibe around him is surprisingly positive.

It is easy to hate his game and for the most part I do, but I don't think he is necessarily a bad guy and sometimes that can be taken for granted. To be fair to the guy his career was kind destroyed by two notorious for such acts in Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas. LB has done nothing but undermine his stars, especially pgs at everyone of his record setting number of stops and Isiah just has the black thumb.

Knowing how MSG operates Steph would have to take a buy out that would deduct whatever salary earned from the buyout. While it is worth seeing if he can be worked into a deal this offseason after that it is probably best for them to part ways.

For the minimum in a 6th man bench scorer role it might be worth a look he still has plenty of talent. Last year no shot I would do this but it is the kind of risk a champion can take. Who knows maybe the guy can write a happy ending.

I see it as a Dennis Johnson move. Similar players and attitudes. Maybe Marbury's could change like DJ's did when he came to Boston.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Marbury has said that after his contract is up he's going to Italy. I'd assume he'd follow through with that goal if he was bought out.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#11 » by Jammer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 pm

Why Marbury is poison, outside of his sweet jump shot and stat filled career statistics?

He thinks that he is paid to shoot.

You heard it.

He thinks he is paid to shoot.

Doesn't understand that he is paid to win, make his teammates better, sacrifice for the team, play D, BE A DECOY (HA), run a weave to draw attention so someone else can get free for a shot or drive.

Catch the drift.

And, he told Isiah he couldn't come off the bench because since he had never done it before in his career, he wouldn't know how. Think about those last words of wisdom from Starbury.

Forget about him.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 pm

Marbury is also **** crazy and says a lot of things. I don't want to sound more positive about this idea than I intend, he is who he is. But he is also one talented SOB so if you could pull it together for a year it would be interesting.

The DJ comparison is legit in the sense that nobody else really wanted a piece of DJ anymore but I mean DJ had won a title and was one of the best defenders in the game, he just liked to write his own show on offense. I don't think that he was anywhere near as crazy as Marbury but I could be wrong.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#13 » by greenbeans » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 pm

sweet!! the #1pg in the league coming off the bench!?!?!? sign me up!!

but seriously id be for it, worst case scenario ya cut em in training camp
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 pm

And that is all I would pay him to do
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm

sully00 wrote:

And that is all I would pay him to do

Exactly!
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#16 » by BakersDozen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 pm

no way. everyone thought Cassell was killing ubuntu, Marbury would give it AIDS,kill it,and then bury it.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#17 » by grantlongforpresident » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:48 pm

Honestly, this is a horrible idea. We just won a championship... there is no reason to take a gamble on team-killers like Marbury and Artest. Marbury has been a very talented and very selfish moron his entire career. and i actually advocated for him (if bought out) when we sucked because hey... you had nothing to lose. now we do.
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#18 » by ARB729 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 am

Fill me in, the OP mentioned a flier. I thought a flier was only in baseball .. As in you lose a pick to sign the guy .. what is the rule in basketball.
formerly RedSoxFan729
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by hiphop1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 am

grantlongforpresident wrote:Honestly, this is a horrible idea. We just won a championship... there is no reason to take a gamble on team-killers like Marbury and Artest. Marbury has been a very talented and very selfish moron his entire career. and i actually advocated for him (if bought out) when we sucked because hey... you had nothing to lose. now we do.

I think it is the complete opposite. With a vet team you can take a chance on a player like him.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#20 » by campybatman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 am

Yeah, but like a lame duck head coach in his last year. A luck duck player in his last year has nothing to lose because he knows he's gone at season's end. I'll rather have Telfair back then.

Return to Boston Celtics