ImageImageImage

OT- Richard Jefferson to the Bucks.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

kb1171
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: OT- Richard Jefferson to the Bucks. 

Post#21 » by kb1171 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:15 pm

I would have thought the Nets would have gotten more for Jefferson. I thought it would have been Yi, Simmons, and the 8 pick...or perhaps swapping picks. I guess the Nets have the caproom they want and picks from the Kidd deal and whatever they get for Carter in the way of picks and young players so they have a good chance to rebuild.

I like the trade for the Bucks it makes the central fun.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#22 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:50 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Unlike the JO-Ford trade, this one helps neither team.

What do the Bucks do with a inconsistent and injury-prone wing? What do the Nets do with more soft, jumpshooting big men?

Seems like one of those "might as well do something cuz we're going to suck anyway" trades for both GMs.

^^Nailed it on the head.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by SonicYouth34 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 pm

greenbeans wrote:now the Nets need to dump Vince. and aint there a team north of the border thats looking for a potent 2/3??? hmmmm, would they ever forggive him??

:lol: Not that I'd want this to happen but VC and LeBron would be good together
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#24 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:58 pm

Is VC good enough off the ball to team up with Lebron? I am not so sure. Lebron needs the ball as much as any star in the league - if not more.

Pete
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#25 » by 15th overall » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Yi's local groupie base just increased by a few million hot asian chicks. Get at it, kid.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#26 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I think it's a good trade for both teams
I like a Nets lineup of
Harris/M. Williams
Gordon(or whatever wing they draft)/Harris
Carter/Yi
Yi/S. Williams
Boone/S. Williams

Jefferson helps the Bucks but not their ability to sign any free agents. I wonder what position they will draft at #8? Sessions looked like an awesome point guard over the last couple of weeks of the season, so he might actually steal the starting spot, I don't see them drafting a point. At SG and SF they are now set. At PF they have Villanueva and at center Bogut, my guess would be that they go after another PF.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#27 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:14 pm

This is all about freeing up cap space for a Lebron/Wade/Bosh run when they all hit the market simultaneously. Odds are they will have already moved to or will have in place a schedule for a move to Brooklyn, which would make them WAY more attractive to free agents.

Jefferson to the Bucks is ideal, although I think they would've been happy if they had just drafted Alexander, who is IMO the best player out of the top 5 in the draft. He has a complete game offensively, is a freak athletically, and is still learning the game! However, RJeff is an established All Star who is capable of playing plus defense on the wing and scoring 20+ points nightly. His slashing will compliment Redd's shooting.

Not sure who they should take with #8 now, but I would hope they go for a big. You never know though, they might grab a buy like Russell Westbrook to play PG and provide lockdown D at one of the guard spots and allow Redd to get a breather on D.

Losing Yi is not a big deal for Milwaukee. Even if he became a good player, there was no way he was staying with the Bucks, not given how much he fought to avoid going there at all. He can now go to a team full of young, unproven guys...and Vince Carter. I still don't get why they re-signed him and now are in full-on dump mode. Hopefully one of Yi or Harris becomes a legit player for them and not just a decent starter, or they land one of Wade/Bosh/James.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#28 » by campybatman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Does New Jersey have a large Chinese fan base anyone know? I'm somewhat stunned by this in that Milwaukee went out of their way to convince Yi to sign with the Bucks only to trade him after the season. So, how was this any different from Yi holding out and taking a year or so off? Same results: He won't be playing for the Bucks. But, I've a feeling that Yi could be on the move again. As in getting traded to Golden State or Chicago. I don't know how long a team is required to wait before they can trade a newly acquired player once he has passed league approval. But, Yi doesn't seem like he fits with the Nets on paper right now unless more changes are forthcoming. Is Carter the next to go?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#29 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I like this deal for MIL now as it makes them a better team and allows them to trade Redd who is good offensive player but a terrible value as a max contract.

Call it a hunch but I think that Wince may be a Trailblazer before the end of the night with a ton of draft picks and rookie contract going NJ's way.

Why doesn't Yi fit in NJ who do they have in their frontcourt that even matters?
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#30 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Does New Jersey have a large Chinese fan base anyone know? I'm somewhat stunned by this in that Milwaukee went out of their way to convince Yi to sign with the Bucks only to trade him after the season. So, how was this any different from Yi holding out and taking a year or so off? Same results: He won't be playing for the Bucks. But, I've a feeling that Yi could be on the move again. As in getting traded to Golden State or Chicago. I don't know how long a team is required to wait before they can trade a newly acquired player once he has passed league approval. But, Yi doesn't seem like he fits with the Nets on paper right now unless more changes are forthcoming. Is Carter the next to go?

Why would a team that is moving to Brooklyn make any moves based on the makeup of NJ? Last time I checked there was a couple of Asian people in NYC.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#31 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:04 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:Dude, c'mon...there's a difference between being talented and having good individual players as nice trade chips. We were not that talented last season (I said this last year, too). If so, we should have been able to adjusted to losing PIerce for a while, instead of sucking hard. We had *SOME* talent, to be sure, but the overall talent level was so low compared to most other teams it wasn't even funny.

Nah man, that was my point - that there's a difference between talented and having a winning team. Being talented and having good individual players as nice trade chips are basically the same thing. But that's just semantics.

But look at the amount of talent on last year's team - we had 3 starters from the '08 champs (Perk/Pierce/Rondo), and 2 more starters from the team that gave the '08 champs the most trouble (West/Szczerbiak), plus Al Jefferson and Ryan Gomes. Perk/Al/Pierce/Wally/Rondo with West/Gomes off the bench is better on paper than the Bucks with Jefferson/Redd I think. The fact that we only got 24 wins with Pierce missing time is a testament that being talented on paper doesn't necessarily mean wins.

That's why we were the most talented 24 win team ever, and that's why we (or Portland) were poised to become a potential dynasty with a lottery win, whereas the '98 Celtics or the '03 Cavaliers were poised to be a crappy roster plus Duncan or a crappy roster plus LeBron with a lottery win - they were much less talented circa 20 win teams. There's a very decent chance that NJ is poising themselves to be a crappy roster plus LeBron if they sign him.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#32 » by chakdaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Meanwhile it's disappointing that Chicago and Miami are only a step behind that "poised for a potential dynasty" after winning the lottery, since they are pretty talented for as bad as they were. But I don't think they're that big a worry.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by campybatman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 pm

sully00 wrote:Why would a team that is moving to Brooklyn make any moves based on the makeup of NJ? Last time I checked there was a couple of Asian people in NYC.

Are you Asian? Then why are you becoming defensive over nothing I'd said offensive. It was a question. Relax. Damn.

The Nets had hoped to move in for the 2009-2010 season, but there is no way the arena will be ready for the start of that season, Ratner said in October.

The Nets have a lease with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority to play at the Izod Center in the Meadowlands sports complex in East Rutherford until 2012.

Dennis Robinson, the sport authority's chief executive, said the team can opt out of the lease without penalty provided they have a new long-term lease with another building. He defined a long-term lease as five years.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05012008/sp ... 108996.htm
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#34 » by Truthiracy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Rest In Piss to the mid 2000's era Nets

All gone now.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by campybatman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 am

To further my point for asking my question. Here's what I wrote...

"Does New Jersey have a large Chinese fan base anyone know? I'm somewhat stunned by this in that Milwaukee went out of their way to convince Yi to sign with the Bucks only to trade him after the season. So, how was this any different from Yi holding out and taking a year or so off? Same results: He won't be playing for the Bucks. But, I've a feeling that Yi could be on the move again. As in getting traded to Golden State or Chicago. I don't know how long a team is required to wait before they can trade a newly acquired player once he has passed league approval. But, Yi doesn't seem like he fits with the Nets on paper right now unless more changes are forthcoming. Is Carter the next to go?"

If Atlanta trades its No. 3 pick as part of a deal with Minnesota, don't expect Yi to go to Minnesota (the Hawks also have the No. 11 pick, acquired earlier from Indiana). The Timberwolves did not visit the Tigers in China and haven't done the background work on Yi.

If Atlanta passes on Yi, Boston would be the next stop at No. 5. And the Celtics, assuming they keep the pick, are high on Yi. If the C's pass on Yi, he is in play for Milwaukee at No. 6. The Bucks likely would select Yi if he's on the board. That could pose a problem, since the Bucks weren't on the approved list of teams by Yi's group (they're looking for a major city and a high Asian population). Still, the Bucks are seriously interested in Yi. At the very least, Yi has trade value, notably with Phoenix and Golden State. Phoenix is trying to get into the lottery from Nos. 24 and 29. Golden State, which meets Yi's city requirements, is at No. 18.

Yi is in play for Chicago at No. 9 and Sacramento at No. 10.

Yi told ESPN.com on Wednesday that he plans to be in the NBA next season. That would seemingly cancel out any veiled attempt by his handlers to push him back to China if he went to a team like Milwaukee.

Yi said Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, L.A. Clippers, L.A. Lakers, Golden State, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Sacramento watched him work out in Los Angeles this spring. Milwaukee wasn't invited.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007 ... id=2918938

Yi claimed he was "totally surprised" to be taken by the Bucks - a team not granted access to his workouts - and his agent said that they are looking at trade possibilities.

"We started to contact teams that had shown an interest in Yi right after the Draft," Zhao Gang, Yi's Chinese agent, told China Daily. "His representatives and I won't sit here and do nothing just because he was picked by Milwaukee. We are considering Yi's future at the Bucks and are looking at trade possibilities."

Yi showed little emotion on draft night - in contrast to the celebrations of the other draftees - and he did not hold the traditional next-day press conference in his new city.

Instead of flying to Milwaukee he joined the Chinese national team in Dallas, where he will compete in the NBA Summer League.

It is thought Yi wants to be in a major market with a large Chinese population - in many ways the opposite of Milwaukee. The city, in the northern state of Wisconsin, has a population of just 550,000 - only 1.7% of whom are of Chinese origin.

"Yi willingly entered the NBA Draft this year and must now abide by its rules, which state that the Bucks own his rights forever if he plans to enter this league," wrote the Journal Sentinel. "Short of a blockbuster trade, he has no other recourse but to play in the CBA."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/200 ... 908555.htm

Return to Boston Celtics