ImageImageImage

Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Re: Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30 

Post#101 » by lojowo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Still on board, lets see who's better in 3 years:

Deandre Jordan
Chris Douglas Roberts
Nathan Jawai
Omer Asik

If we still bought the Washington pick, Instead of Walker:

Devon Hardin
Richard Hendrix

Instead or Semih Erden:

Gary Forbes
Pat Calathes
Jamont Gordon

I like what danny did by getting atheletes but not sure if they were the best ball players on the board at the time.
wickerhd
Bench Warmer
And1: 139

Post#102 » by wickerhd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:01 pm

THis guy seems amazingly similar to Bonzi Wells of 10 years ago. According to all the draft sites, he's tough and has a terrific motor. Bonzi became something of a head case, and hopefully the presence of three all stars on the team will avoid that problem in JR.

The comparisons to Tony Allen are meaningless. His knee injuries make him a shell of the player he was in his rookie year. I love Tony's fire and aggression, but his est days inb the NBA are behind him due to injury.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#103 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 pm

atsoc711 wrote:
TheCelticTruth wrote:not to take away from giddens, who i see filling a rodney stuckey type role (not playing any point).

edit: nice to see that SI's draft analysis described giddens as an "athletic rebounding guard." i like it

I could be way off with this, as I have never seen Giddens play, but from reading about him and watching his videos on youtube, he reminds me of a poor man's Andre Iguodala.

Hopefully I can dig up this thread during the season and gloat. :D

Or someone can pull it up on me and put me to shame. :no:

thats funny cause i thought the same thing just looking at his numbers and reading his description, although i too have never seen him play
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#104 » by eitanr » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Giddens is an athletic defender who can shoot the ball. Seems like insurance in case Boston can not re-sign Posey and perhaps a replacement for TA. That being said I still feel that Boston should have taken a shot at DeAndre Jordan there. With KG by his side, Jordan could have developed into a nice defensive minded backup center ala Diop. That hole will be harder to fill than backup swing man.

I also feel Boston passed up on a great talent in CDR or could have had the opportunity to trade up and acquire Batum. Giddens is not a bad pick, it may have been smarter to simply draft Jordan there and then acquire Giddens, if Ainge liked him so much, another way. Giddens could have slipped into the later 40s or even 50s and then Ainge could have simply dealt a future 2nd rounder for him or something.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#105 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Giddens is nothing like Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey is a PG/SG who has a great handle, can hit outside shots, and is a pure scorer. He averaged like 25 PPG at E Washington. Giddens is more of a jack-of-all-trades. I think a better comparison is a poor-man's Shawn Marion. He has a SF/PF game in the body of a SG but his length and freak athleticism help make up for that. He can hit the 3 but its not his forte. Defense, passing, and rebounding are all strong points. He also has a team mentality, which will go a long way to getting PT on a vet-heavy team like the Celtics (funny to say that given how young we were just 13 months ago!).
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,155

Post#106 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Love the pick. I completely forgot about this guy. From what I remember he is similar to J.R Smith only from the interviews I've read he seems to genuinely matured (Imagine how good JR Smith would be if he ever matured). He had a draftexpress interview where he was fully repentent for his past mistakes, no exscuse at all. T me this is the sort of thing you do with late pick. Take a guy with a modifiable flar character wight, coming off surgery.
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#107 » by C-West » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 pm

I mentioned earlier about Giddens' last game (the NIT nailbiter at Cal). You don't see New Mexico play too often, but I did watch that game and I was floored at how good this guy is. Check out this box score, and realize that he did this against a front like of Cal with Anderson and Hardin. Giddens was also CLUTCH in this game, scoring on isolations late in the game and barely missing a shot at the end to win.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb ... mcal1.html

Good pick, Danny!!
buckner1976
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#108 » by buckner1976 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Giddens is a similar player to Tony Allen, but they have some key differences:

1) Giddens is definitely not as good a slasher as TA, although he is not bad in that respect.
2) Allen is a better dribbler; Giddens will likely get his pocket picked for a few years until this improves
3) Giddens is not as strong as Allen on the wing, but his length and superior quickness can make him an equal defender.
4) JR is a superior rebounder, though TA is no slouch
5) Giddens is also a significantly better 3 point shooter, with NBA range, although he needs to get better at spotting up rather than shooting off the dribble
6) Giddens has a clean injury slate, whereas Tony is a big risk with his knee

dont think i agree that tony is a better dribbler. tony is a disaster past 2 dribbles imo. hes as likely to dribble the ball off his foot as he is to bring the ball up. giddens is AT LEAST at the same level right now if not better. giddens did a lot of ballhandling for his team among many things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQcr1EKu ... re=related
armageddon
Rookie

Post#109 » by armageddon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:05 pm

After reading all the blogs and articles about Boston's draft, it appears that Ainge had Giddons pegged as his man before the draft. He was trying to trade #30 probably to pick up a couple of early seconds and draft Giddons closer to where he was slotted. When he couldn't pull this off he just went ahead and drafted the player he wanted - 5 year college guy who can contribute now.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#110 » by Bluewhale » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:14 pm

So far Giddens reminds me the Josh Howard in Dallas, just smaller. Josh also picked at #29
redsox_24
Sophomore

Post#111 » by redsox_24 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Just heard Chris Wallace on the radio before coming back to work talking to Dale and Holley. Wallace actually just gave great insight as to why the celtics took JR Gidden over CDR.
They asked him why CDR slipped so far down and he said it was because of the workouts. He said during the Goldenstate open workout that JR Gidden outplayed CDR every single play weather it was 2 on 2's or 3 on 3's. Hopefully this explains what Danny was thinking when he selected JR over CDR.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#112 » by 15th overall » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Giddens is more of a jack-of-all-trades. I think a better comparison is a poor-man's Shawn Marion. He has a SF/PF game in the body of a SG but his length and freak athleticism help make up for that. He can hit the 3 but its not his forte. Defense, passing, and rebounding are all strong points. He also has a team mentality, which will go a long way to getting PT on a vet-heavy team like the Celtics (funny to say that given how young we were just 13 months ago!).

FWIW, when Michael Holley asked Giddens to compare his game to a current NBA player JR said, "Joe Johnson" without hesitation. I'm not gonna set my expectations that high obviously, but that certainly fits the jack-of-all-trades mold.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#113 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 pm

If Giddens can be Ronnie Brewer, not even Joe Johnson, I'd be ecstatic.

Wallace might be an idiot as a GM, but he is a pretty affable guy and a great interview. He's really funny and willing to admit mistakes (Moiso, Potapenko trade, etc). Definitely knows the draft though, and I'm sure Danny tapped into that as a part of the successful drafts in the past.

Also a great talker. He pretty much convinced me that the Mayo trade was worth it, talking Belichick-like about drafting for TALENT not need. I also like the trade a lot more now with Darrell Arthur acquired for Donte Greene. Arthur can be a legit 4-man for them, but even with that they have no depth up front. The only thing I don't agree with is that Mayo is not the talent that Wallace believes he is. I think Love will have a far more complete game, even if he is never an All Star. 18-10-5 out of the post with all the talented guards/wings they already have would be perfect; however, if Mayo does turn into the star Wallace thinks he'll be, then they'll have a truly marketable star to rebuild the fanbase, as well as some light at the end of the tunnel with Mayo and Gay.

Mayo-Gay also sounds a lot better than Gay-Love.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#114 » by Prophet_C » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:If Giddens can be Ronnie Brewer, not even Joe Johnson, I'd be ecstatic.

Wallace might be an idiot as a GM, but he is a pretty affable guy and a great interview. He's really funny and willing to admit mistakes (Moiso, Potapenko trade, etc). Definitely knows the draft though, and I'm sure Danny tapped into that as a part of the successful drafts in the past.

Also a great talker. He pretty much convinced me that the Mayo trade was worth it, talking Belichick-like about drafting for TALENT not need. I also like the trade a lot more now with Darrell Arthur acquired for Donte Greene. Arthur can be a legit 4-man for them, but even with that they have no depth up front. The only thing I don't agree with is that Mayo is not the talent that Wallace believes he is. I think Love will have a far more complete game, even if he is never an All Star. 18-10-5 out of the post with all the talented guards/wings they already have would be perfect; however, if Mayo does turn into the star Wallace thinks he'll be, then they'll have a truly marketable star to rebuild the fanbase, as well as some light at the end of the tunnel with Mayo and Gay.

Mayo-Gay also sounds a lot better than Gay-Love.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#115 » by 15th overall » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 pm

Ah, but "Gay Mayo" could be interpreted the wrong way as well.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#116 » by Prophet_C » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 pm

15th overall wrote:Ah, but "Gay Mayo" could be interpreted the wrong way as well.

Yeah that sounds really wrong as well. lol
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#117 » by Rocky5000 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:41 am

Giddens is jacked.
mattlanta
Senior
And1: 1

Post#118 » by mattlanta » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:22 am

Why do you guys say Good bye, T. Allen?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#119 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:51 am

Wow. Kind of like that one pic of Leon Powe. He looked ripped compared to perk.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#120 » by rambo_ortega » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:26 am

we lacked athleticism in the backcourt last year. something that has not been noticed that much. with walker and giddens, we'll have a backcourt version of big baby and powe. proven talents in college who comes in and can showcase their skills on this team. their aggressiveness will give us more chances to go to the line and will open up our shooters. their athleticism is also a very big asset on defense. i seriously wanted jordan but rumor says that he isn't really that driven.

drafting these 2 strong, athletic wings can answer some of our weakness. i think it's easier to look for a back up pg or a 7 footer via free agency this offseason than getting athletic wings who will play hard for this team.

Return to Boston Celtics