ImageImageImage

Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Geech
Junior
And1: 104

Re: Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30 

Post#121 » by Geech » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I agree. I think selecting these 2 players may have beeen in response to the trouble the C's had keeping up with the very athletic Atlanta team.

Hey, Paul Pierce got stabbed at a nightclub a few years ago and he's turned out OK.

I like the confidence and aggressiveness Giddens shows and that is what can't be taught and that is what you need in the NBA to be above average.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#122 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I think we are going to like this guy...

http://wbztv.com/video/?id=63928@wbz.dayport.com
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#123 » by LongTimeFan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm beginning to think I understand how DA does what he does on the draft.

If I do, then we just got a top ten player and probably a top five player out of the draft. This guy has almost Rondo like ability to disrupt the other team. DA has figuired out how to accurately predict future NBA defensive ability.

Sweet.
BillessuR6
General Manager

Post#124 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 am

http://www.zshare.net/video/144159689ffa0bf9/

I know highlights always make player look good but if you don`t like this guy after this video...

I like his energy and passion for the game. He supposedly has to work on his dribbling and handling but after watching this I am not worried about that. He is much better at it than Tony!

One thing I though we needed most off the bench and what we lacked this season was a player who could create his own offense. I think JR can bring that to some extent...

I am giddy about Giddens! :wink:
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#125 » by Barry Lird » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:23 pm

thebirdman wrote:http://www.zshare.net/video/144159689ffa0bf9/

I am giddy about Giddens! :wink:

Great vid, birdman. Best Giddens highlight I've seen. I don't care what any of the pundits said, or where he was in the various mocks, at 30 this guy has major talent and athleticism, and as usual, Danny got a steal.

I can see him contributing in a Rodney Stuckey sort of way in his first year. It looks like he's got a great all around game.

It's gonna be a looong wait til the next season. Can't wait already.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,980

Post#126 » by GregB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:56 pm

He does look very good offensively. I wonder how good he is defensively. I have heard mixed reviews on his defense. If he doesnt perform on the defensive end. We might have to resign TA which would limit Giddens potential playing time.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#127 » by LongTimeFan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:26 pm

DA characterised him as a playmaker at the defensive end. He gets steals, blocks shots. He can't recall a shooting guard leading the conference in rebounding. And he's a pretty good offensive player too. DA further stated his only real weakness was his free throw shooting.

I think his defense is excellent. Probably the best part of his game.
BillessuR6
General Manager

Post#128 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:28 pm

We drafted him because of his defense, so that says a lot. Doc even said he can probably play right away due to him being a very good defender...
kakopedi1
Junior
And1: 4

Post#129 » by kakopedi1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:18 pm

That vid just made my day.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#130 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm

He plays in a pretty weak conference - I think Banks was mountain conference player of the year as well no? This is where hopefully Danny's eye for talent pays off (and I think Banks does have talent).. You have to evaluate talent against sub-par competition.

Pete
BillessuR6
General Manager

Post#131 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:29 pm

GuyClinch wrote:He plays in a pretty weak conference - I think Banks was mountain conference player of the year as well no? This is where hopefully Danny's eye for talent pays off (and I think Banks does have talent).. You have to evaluate talent against sub-par competition.

Pete

Let`s just hope this is the last time we see a Banks reference in a post about JR Giddens...
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,139

Post#132 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:10 am

I wasn't thriled with the Giddens pick because I'm a little concerned with his shooting but grabbing Walker for cash made my night.

The two of them together really impress me -- a two and a three who are both super-athletic. Walker's a better shooter but he's suffered some knee problems. They're both lotto tickets -- either could be really good.

Walker REALLY reminds me of Bonzi Wells. I got to watch a number of KSU games and Walker didn't put up big numbers but I like his game. KSU was all about getting the ball to Beasley but on a lot of other teams Walker would have had great stats.

I can't say I've seen a lot of Giddens since he left Kansas but I really do think his upside is at least as high as Tony's. And for the guy who said Tony had a better dribble, gosh I hope not.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,469

Post#133 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 2:47 am

The more I read about JR Giddens, the more I like this pick. Talent wise he sounds like a lesser JR Smith (JR Smith has impressed at the NBA level while Giddens did his thing in the NCAA, both are the same age). But a lesser JR Smith = Ricky Davis / Stephen Jackson, and it sounds like he is fairly unselfish and it seems as his teammates liked him @ New Mexico. If no off court / selfishness type issues arise, factor in his size and rebounding ability, and IMO he translates to Jason Richardson. Or something to the extent.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#134 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jul 1, 2008 3:37 am

were starting to mix up our picks... giddens is explosive and can dunk, but walker is the guy with the game like a vince carter or a jason richardson

giddens is harder to peg becuase hes very complete. you want to compare him to those athletic plays but it does injustice to his polished skill set

to be faor jr smith can dunk and shoot threes but thats it. hes way better on xbox (or ps) than in real life, ask the NUGZ

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,980

Post#135 » by GregB » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:37 am

LongTimeFan wrote:DA characterised him as a playmaker at the defensive end. He gets steals, blocks shots. He can't recall a shooting guard leading the conference in rebounding. And he's a pretty good offensive player too. DA further stated his only real weakness was his free throw shooting.

I have heard that. But The knock has also been that he takes plays off defensively. I understand that he took a big step this year. But, I wonder how he transitions as a rookie to the NBA. He doesnt seem to be the defensive prospect Tony Allen was coming out of college.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#136 » by buckner1976 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:43 am

GregB wrote:
LongTimeFan wrote:DA characterised him as a playmaker at the defensive end. He gets steals, blocks shots. He can't recall a shooting guard leading the conference in rebounding. And he's a pretty good offensive player too. DA further stated his only real weakness was his free throw shooting.

I have heard that. But The knock has also been that he takes plays off defensively. I understand that he took a big step this year. But, I wonder how he transitions as a rookie to the NBA. He doesnt seem to be the defensive prospect Tony Allen was coming out of college.

greg i think jr's gonna have a similar defensive impact as rondo did. both rondo and giddens have very similar physical skills on the defensive end. quick feet, lightning quick hands and long arms. i think giddens was measured at something like a 7ft wingspan. much like rondo he comes into the league qith a rep as guy who plays much bigger than he is and is an exceptional rebounder. again this is a 6'5 kid that avged almost 9 boards a game and over a block a game. you can only take the "hes in a weak conference" comment but so far when talking defensive numbers. those numbers are more about desire than they are about lack of talent or size in the conference. the kid can play.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#137 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:44 pm

I don't really get how Giddens isn't as good a defensive prospect as Allen was. Tony was strong like a bull, but lacked the ridiculous wingspan that Giddens has. Giddens is an equal athletic talent to Tony as well, and is a better athlete now that Tony has had a couple of knee injuries. He might not be able to guard PGs like Tony did, but Giddens if he stays healthy will be every bit the defensive player at the 2 and 3 that TA was drafted as. And with his ability to block shots he might become even more of an asset. Like I said, if he can become Ronnie Brewer for us, playing perimeter D, grabbing boards as a guard, and blocking shots on the wing, I'll be happy with that at 30.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#138 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:24 am

Gomes3PC wrote:I don't really get how Giddens isn't as good a defensive prospect as Allen was. Tony was strong like a bull, but lacked the ridiculous wingspan that Giddens has. Giddens is an equal athletic talent to Tony as well, and is a better athlete now that Tony has had a couple of knee injuries. He might not be able to guard PGs like Tony did, but Giddens if he stays healthy will be every bit the defensive player at the 2 and 3 that TA was drafted as. And with his ability to block shots he might become even more of an asset. Like I said, if he can become Ronnie Brewer for us, playing perimeter D, grabbing boards as a guard, and blocking shots on the wing, I'll be happy with that at 30.

I totally agree
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#139 » by TheCelticTruth » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:43 am

tony's reputation wasnt really as a defender comin out of school, he was considered a power slasher

so i have no problem that giddens rep isnt as a defender. if both doc and danny buy it, i am buying as well

i think tony is done with the Cs because of him. the way tony played this year...if giddens is comfortable hell be an improvement

im not sure tonys basketball head will ever be right again

Sig by twolves4ever

Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC

"ubuntu"
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#140 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Thu Jul 3, 2008 6:25 am

I didn't know much about him before the draft but the more I hear about him the more I like. Apparently he can defend, score and rebound and is intense with an extreme desire to win. I have high hopes for Giddens. I am giddy for Giddens (couldn't resist)!

Return to Boston Celtics