ImageImageImage

Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Re: Boston Celtics Select JR Giddens at #30 

Post#161 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:13 pm

Of course Giddens is more accomplished at the time we drafted him. He went to college for four years. So he is a less risky pick than GG. This is all pretty obvious stuff. GG was high-risk/high-reward which turned into high suckage. well that's what "high risk" means, sometimes you get burned, it doesn't mean it was a bad idea to try.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#162 » by ermocrate » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:29 pm

Giddens can ball and can SHOOT, our lack of shooters almost cost us a Championship... You know, teams usually work out prospects so they know what they're doing, expecially Danny.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#163 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:56 pm

ermocrate wrote:Giddens can ball and can SHOOT, our lack of shooters almost cost us a Championship... You know, teams usually work out prospects so they know what they're doing, expecially Danny.

Really, it did? We won the title, the 2 games we lost we were in until the last few minutes...really, you think so? :o
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#164 » by TheCelticTruth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Giddens can ball and can SHOOT, our lack of shooters almost cost us a Championship... You know, teams usually work out prospects so they know what they're doing, expecially Danny.

Really, it did? We won the title, the 2 games we lost we were in until the last few minutes...really, you think so? :o

there were quite a few games throughout the playoffs that had we shot better, wouldve been blow outs and not close games

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#165 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:39 pm

TheCelticTruth wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:

there were quite a few games throughout the playoffs that had we shot better, wouldve been blow outs and not close games

Who cares? We won, we never trailed in a series, we survived Ray's slump...looking for nits to pick or something? :dontknow:
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#166 » by Athanacropolis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm just really stoked to see if Giddens can be a pre-injury Tony Allen kind of player with a better jumpshot, like many say he is. Knowing nothing about him, all of this discussion makes me really intrigued to see his game. And all the talk is that he is NBA ready.

Is 5-10 quality minutes a night too much to expect from him, spelling Pierce or Allen? I'd be happy just with good defense and a lack of turnovers when he touches the ball. Any scoring would be gravy at this point.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#167 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 am

I think calling Giddens more "accomplished" than Gerald is an odd way to put things. He was a McDonald's All American 2 years before Gerald and he spent 5 years in college. In a sense it is like calling the kid who stayed back in the 2nd grade twice more accomplished than the kids who just matriculated. That said no matter the level he certainly can rebound better than Gerald can.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#168 » by TheCelticTruth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 pm

-to MyInsatiableOne-

No, I'm not trying to nitpick, but I don't disagree with the sentiment that we almost lost control of our destiny a few times. I would rather set the record for least playoff games played than most. (how could you complain about a set of four game sweeps right?)

-to Sully-

i don't know if i agree it is an odd way to put things. I guess I would compare it to a military sense in that a guy who has won awards coming out of the academy might be given a higher rank that someone who has served already but without any distinction. neither has done anything of significance on the nba level in my mind, but i would definitely say giddens pre-nba career is more decorated. gerald didnt win any college awards, sure he didnt play in college, but he could have.

its hard to quantify the difference, but i perceive a difference, in that giddens has some hardware on his shelf from something besides dunk contests

Sig by twolves4ever

Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC

"ubuntu"
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#169 » by ezmac2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Im from New Mexico and was a fan of JR as a All American so could be biased
His freshman year he had a high 3pt % then it dropped off. He WILL be able to score especially on put backs as he is a good rebounder.
IMO u guys got a steal and hope he works out
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#170 » by Athanacropolis » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm

ezmac2 wrote:Im from New Mexico and was a fan of JR as a All American so could be biased
His freshman year he had a high 3pt % then it dropped off. He WILL be able to score especially on put backs as he is a good rebounder.
IMO u guys got a steal and hope he works out

Hey, thanks for the first-hand account! I don't watch college ball much, so I knew nothing about Giddens before the Celtics drafted him. Love to hear that he's a good rebounder!
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#171 » by ezmac2 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:07 am

Ya i believe he had like 7 rpg last year. Just an athletic freak. And can hopefully replace Posey's D or has the potential to. Which i think he still has a ton of potential

Return to Boston Celtics