ImageImageImage

J.R Giddens Bandwagon

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Re: J.R Giddens Bandwagon 

Post#21 » by captain_cheapseats » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:34 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Check out his profile on Draft Express. They did a lengthy interview with him. Seems like he grew up a lot since his sophomore year at Kansas, when he was stabbed at a dance club in Kansas.

Wait a second, you're telling me this guy is a former Jayhawk who has been stabbed at a night club? That's awesome.....so far 100% of all Celtic players who are former Jayhawks that have been stabbed at a nightclub have gone on to win the NBA Finals MVP! So that must mean, ipso facto, this guy will also win the Finals MVP at some point down the line.

Wow, I just busted out some serious Jay Mariotti style logic for that one. ESPN should be calling any minute now......
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Tricky Ricky » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:In Danny Ainge I trust. :D
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#23 » by Dogen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:27 pm

I thought that this guy was one that Danny had a jones for, but it didn't look like he'd go in the first round. He's going to be awesome, I think. He brings TA athleticism but can fill up the basket from the perimeter, too.

Prediction is that JR spends his first season humiliating players taken ahead of him and making GMs around the league scratch their heads wondering how they didn't realize how good this guy is.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#24 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:28 pm

long athletic defensive wing, prototypical energy player, an instigator (as red would say), momentum changing dunker, shot over 50% from the field and grabbed 9 boards a game as a guard, can get minutes right away because of his defense

in terms of on the court ability, whats not to like
dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Post#25 » by dingodile » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:54 pm

ParticleMan wrote:plus i like the lame joke potential: "who stabbed JR?" etc
(i guess i'm probably dating myself with that one)

Well played sir.
Albanian Damien
Starter
And1: 639

Post#26 » by Albanian Damien » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:no more tony allen, book it.

Thats the first thing I had in mind when J.R. Giddens was picked.
Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#27 » by Man_Up » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Count me in.

From all I've been hearing about him it seems like the character issues are done with. If that's the case that means we're just left with a talented player. He's a 3point shot away from being the perfect back court partner for Rondo.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#28 » by canman1971 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 pm

What else has Giddens done that was so bad since he left Kansas? It seems like the kid learned from his mistakes. Barroom brawl? Larry Bird anyone? I mean, if that is the reason he dropped so far, I guess we reap the benefits. As I have said all along, I was clueless coming into this draft, and after reading a bit on this kid, what is not to like. Kids make mistakes. Simple as that. I made numerous ones as a young adult and now I am a teacher, educating the youth of America. People grow up. Many times, mistakes make us stronger as people and really cherish what we have.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#29 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:04 pm

happykooner wrote:Low Risk. High Reward

Fixed
redsox_24
Sophomore

Post#30 » by redsox_24 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Count me on the bandwagon early as well. Kid is an amazing athletic talent. If Giddens comes straight out of high school then hes a lottery pick. I really like this pick even though I wanted Bill Walker at 30 (already jumped on that bandwagon!!!) Like most people on this board I agree that his problems were based on his maturity level. I think he still have a little growing up to do but he has come a long way from the Kansas days. I think Celtics fans will love his defensive abilities and offensive skills that are beyond anything TA can give the team.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#31 » by LongTimeFan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Classic DA pick. How do you get a top ten talent where we draft?

Well, you find a guy with top ten talent that other GM's are afraid to pick for some transient issue. Then you fix the issue.

This team can straighten out character issues, weight issues and knee problems.

Anyone than can out rebound by a factor of 2 the opposing PF (Ryan Andersen drafted 21) is a guy I can get behind.
Brooklyn Zoo
Sophomore

Post#32 » by Brooklyn Zoo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Wanted CDR, but the more I investigate the guy I'm climbing on the bandwagon. Highlight reels and stats alone are hard to judge by, but I assume the kid can play.

Looking at the stats, I like what I see (except the 58% ftm, yikes) He gets scores effeciently, gobbles up boards, gets to the line at a decent rate, and gets steals and blocks without fouling too much. Needs to get his FT straight and his 3pt shot selection improved.

Labeled as a guy with "problems" he couldn't be going to a better environment, team wise or city wise. The Peirce "I've been stabbed, you've been stabbed" link should make them fast friends.
He must be thrilled to be playing with 3 all star, HOF level champs as the 30th pick.

Anyone know of any health issues. In the ESPN draft highlight package it looked like he was wearing a brace or something.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#33 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:23 pm

The more I read about him the more I like him! I am definitely on the bandwagon!
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#34 » by theman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Brooklyn Zoo wrote:
Looking at the stats, I like what I see (except the 58% ftm, yikes) He gets scores effeciently, gobbles up boards, gets to the line at a decent rate, and gets steals and blocks without fouling too much. Needs to get his FT straight and his 3pt shot selection improved.

That is whata worries me. I also wonder about his rebounding. Often a guard who grabs a lot of rebounds does so by sagging off his man on D. But he is supposed to be a good defender so I don't know.

Danny picked him so I have hope.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#35 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 pm

FT% is a concern. But he did shoot 68% as a rookie, so that is at least decent.
vtime
Rookie
And1: 247

Post#36 » by vtime » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:07 pm

if he had come out of high school or after his sophomore season he would've been a lottery pick. He got in one fight and got stabbed and they didnt have to put him off the team, but they did. I dont know why they say he has issue(s). It was a one time thing that happened. He was a McDonald's All-American with unlimited range and excellent athleticism. I never thought he would stay in school and finish all of his eligiblity. Instead he stayed all 5 years, played in a much smaller conference than his high school resume deserved, didnt pout and played hard the whole time and got his bachelor's degree. Any character issues are over 3 years old and should be thrown out of the window. He's been a class act the last 3 years and all but one night of his entire career.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#37 » by hiphop1 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:07 pm

DEFENSE!.. DEFENSE!.. DEFENSE!
Free your mind and your a** will follow

Return to Boston Celtics