ImageImageImage

My one year aniversary as a Mod

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

My one year aniversary as a Mod 

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 am

My first day as a moderator was draft day last year, shortly before the site crashed for the night. Just a few hours later we traded for ray allen and set the wheels in motion for KG to come, moves that were the definite cause of us winning the title. 20 years of futility, then I become a mod, hours later we acquire one all star, withen a year win a championship, I will leave it for you guys to judge whether that was a coincidence or not.

Doing this for a year, I feel I have a little bit of insight to share with you guys about my experience. First off, I didn't lobby for or ask to be a mod, I was nominated by a couple of people as someone to be considered and did not really plan on becoming one until I was asked if I would be interested. What most people don't realize is that being a mod is a pretty big time commitment for an unpaid job (well ok you do get a free real gm t-shirt, but no cash). I started modding shortly before I was to take the bar exam (which I thankfully passed), but instead of only logging onto the board when I had the urge to post, I had to long on more often to make sure things were running smoothly.

One of the worst parts about being a mod is having to warn and or suspend people, you may not realize this but when we warn someone we send them a message, then make a note in there profile, then make a note on the master list of warnings/suspensions/bans and its kind of a pain in the butt. So trust me when I say we really don't want to issue warnings, its 15 minutes of our lives we wont get back, not to mention the arguing with people who at the time do to anger or other reasons have a staunch and firmly held belief that even though they called someone's mother a cheap prostitute and threatened to eat there family they don't deserve a warning.

Which brings me to the real reason I wrote this thread. To thank you collectively (ok with a couple of exceptions) for being exceptionally easy to moderate the past few months. Several months ago I posted an announcement about being "classy" posters, and for the most part I feel our board really stepped up. From my first 6 months as a mod to my last six months as a mod there has been a substantial drop in the amount of negative moderating I have had to to do, people aren't personally attacking people as much, Most are not trying to avoid the language filter, and only a select few have been going on other people's boards and acting like jerks. Thank you for acting like mature adults capable of having intelligent discourse even when disagreements occur.

Different moderators have very different styles and it was something that as a poster I did not fully apreciate. We often disagree about whether a certain post warranted a certain moderator response, or whether or not someone should be suspended or banned at a certain point whether a thread needs to be locked or not, etc. I like to be a pretty lasesz faire mod becuase I have better things to do in my real life then writing out warnings every day. It wasn't until I was a mod that I truly appreciated how much easier it was to be one if you had guys who were willing to make unpopular calls to keep order on the board. I am mainly referring to Darth here, but somebody has to be the heavy or all the mods have to take the brunt of the public displeasure that gets voiced every month or so on this board (and indeed I am sure some of it will come in response to this post. However you can't really have a good cop without a bad cop, and my moderation style is made feasible by other people being willing to take that punishment.

We often have to write warnings for really stupid reasons, like avoiding the filter, I mean come on, how hard is it to actually just write out the cuss word and let it get filtered just say **** people, yet time and time again people who have previously been unofficially warned do it. Its really not at all fun to write them, I don't mean to sound like I am whining, and thankfully I have not had to hand out many warnings at all the past few months, but dear lord, like my work in criminal law, it really sometimes makes me question the true depths of some peoples inability to learn.

Its been an interesting year moderating this board, hopefully next season will bring continued success to the Boston Celtics and to our little online community here on Real GM.
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Re: My one year aniversary as a Mod 

Post#2 » by daveisceltics » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am

Congrats to Spinmove for being a really good mod :clap: :clap: :clap:
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#3 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:32 am

congrats. i think you (and all the mods) do a helluva job here. it's why realgm is my favorite (and these days pretty much my only) board.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#4 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:50 am

Hopefully the pay is good.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#5 » by Spin Move » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:27 pm

bruno sundov wrote:Hopefully the pay is good.

The T-shirt was black and white, I wear it to work out.....thanks for the kind words guys.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#6 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm

It's a lot easier being green nowadays. :clap:
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#7 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Spin Move wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:Hopefully the pay is good.

The T-shirt was black and white, I wear it to work out.....thanks for the kind words guys.

You put a ton of time and effort into this. That sucks. I do think the board will be easier now that we are the best team in the world.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#8 » by Prophet_C » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 pm

Congrats.

I'll try to give you more to do....hehe

I kid I kid
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#9 » by m23uza1hem36 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:28 pm

You guys here have a HUGE board, I'm a Piston fan, we usually have no problems but every once in awhile something pops up, nether the less, congrats, for being a mod and winning the title because we could' not hold a 10 point lead in the 4th :wordyo:
Follow @mouzaihem
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#10 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Winning cures everything! So for the next few years I expect mods to have it easy. But be ware if we start losing all hell will broke lose on this board! :)

Thanks to all the mods!
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#11 » by grantlongforpresident » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:30 pm

wrong thread.
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#12 » by wetsthebed » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:55 pm

Canman became a mod the same day, right? Well, congrats to both of you guys. I don't even remember the date I became a mod. My t-shirt's still getting plenty of use though, I'm wearing it right now.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#13 » by Maple Green » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:24 am

Happy First anniversary! I hope you did not encounter head banger member through the years come! huh! lol! :lol:
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#14 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:33 am

thebirdman wrote:Winning cures everything! So for the next few years I expect mods to have it easy. But be ware if we start losing all hell will broke lose on this board! :)

...and to think I stepped down just a few days before the Big 3 era started... Talk about horrible timing!

Thanks to all the mods and posters, and congrats Spin Move on your first year modding this great board.
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#15 » by 3pt % » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:15 am

you are alright... for a Mod :)

And we all know you and Canman engineered the great Celtic Board heist by getting rid of Darth, so don't pretend to be all warm and fuzzy now..

This year the Celtics Board, tomorrow the world! Or the general board anyway.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#16 » by MoBSTa » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:02 am

Well Good luck, in the future Spin Move, whether you decide to pursue your career in Law, or my guess, is you will become a Big Tyme sports agent.

Ither way, all I ask is that you don't put so much pressure on the little guy, he can be a tweener like Leon Powe or even a non drafted Chuck Hayes and have the heart of a Lion.

I know some of the guy's in here are connected to the game, besides just loving the Celtic's.

Again, with what ever you choose as you go through the future I believe Lucky will be bye your side.

Oh yeah, thank you for your patience as I was trying to filter my words not knowing there was a filter.

Return to Boston Celtics