ImageImageImage

Any interest in bringing Gomes and D. West back?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Re: Any interest in bringing Gomes and D. West back? 

Post#21 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm sure there is interest but it's not going to happen. We dont have the money nor the ability to pry them away from their current teams since they are restricted.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#22 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:31 pm

Delonte West would be a great addition. He can play both the 1 & 2, scores as well or better than House, Cassel and Tony Allen, and is a better point guard and defender than those 3. ReSigning Posey, getting West and someone decent as a back up Center would be a great off season

What are you smoking? Can I have some of it? Delonte West can only dribble with one hand - and can't bring the ball up against pressure. When he was with us we made Ricky or PP bring it up without fail. He is a spot up jump shooter - not a point guard. And against every other team (besides the C's who he is ticked at) he gets all hesitant and chicken *hit with regards to shooting the ball But he doesn't play D or direct the team like Rondo..

As for scoring better then TA or Cassell...not when those guys get going. I hate Cassell but he can score the basketball. And TA was flat out our go to scorer when PP was out.. Delonte West was on that team and it was a clear as day that TA was the better scorer..

I am not a huge Tyrone Lue fan but he is a more logical choice then West. He can shoot the ball as well as West or House (roughly) but has actual PG skills in that he can dribble with both hands. If that's important to Doc (who perhaps doesnt' want to wear PP out with that stuff during the regular season) then he is a better choice.

Pete
West is Best
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#23 » by West is Best » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Guy cinch I feel you are being to hard on West. While he does have limitations they are fewer than the 3 I mentioned.
1) Tony Allen got hurt and has not shown to have returned to form. I would agree Tony was the better scorer before the knee injury.
2) House has shown he cannot bring up the ball well under pressure, this is why the Celtics brought in Sam C, and also why House got so few minutes.
3) Sam C is getting up in age, and his skills are continuing to decline, as he showed in the Playoffs.

To sum up the thread asks our opinion on signing West or Gomes. Yes it can be debated that other free agents have more merits but I dont think I stated anything that should have the response...What are you smoking?
Danny Ainge...The Ronald Reagan of GM's
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#24 » by ddb » Tue Jul 1, 2008 1:37 am

Listen, I liked Gomes and West when they were here, but they were here during one of the worst seasons in Celtics history. We have moved on since then and so have they. I think it's vital for Ainge to bring back the same team minus Tony Allen and plus JR Giddens. Bill Walker needs a season in the NDBL to get healthy and confident again. He could be a nice prize for us in 09-10. I've seen this kid play for years. He's got a lot of talent, but reminds me of Kedrick Brown a little bit. JR Giddens on the other hand will be an upgrade over Tony Allen. He's a bigger, stronger and healthier version of Tony Allen.
Here's what i say they do:

Do whatever it takes to re-sign Posey. I don't see why we couldn't bring him back.

Re-sign House and have him and Pruitt split time at the point behind Rondo. And if there's a PG that will help us during the stretch run (like how we brought in Cassell), then bring someone in late in the season. But we've proven that we don't need to fill that roster spot until late in the season. That gives Ainge flexability.

We need to sign a big if PJ Brown retires. Personally, I would look at Mourning, Elson, and Kwame Brown. Before you laugh, think about it. Kwame has hit rock bottom. Nobody wants the kid. He has talent, just no heart. If ANYONE can get this kid to play with any emotion it's KG. And if anyone can work with him it's Cliff Ray. And if you don't think Perk, KG, Baby, and Powe wouldn't help Kwame Brown then you're crazy. I think putting on a Green Uniform is just what the kid needs.

My roster in 08-09 looks like this:

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
KG
Perk

House
Giddens
Posey
Powe
Davis

K. Brown/ A Mourning
Pruitt

Scal
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#25 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 1, 2008 4:03 am

Listen, I liked Gomes and West when they were here, but they were here during one of the worst seasons in Celtics history.

Not only does it make no sense for us - it makes no sense for these players respective careers. There is nothing more profitable then picking up numbers on a mediocre or bad team. I like acquiring the opposite player - the stud who is withering on the bench of some good team.. J' Oneal is the classic example..a great player who didn't get any burn with a fairly stacked Portland team.

Pete
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#26 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:26 pm

haha alright tell me the next time a J'Oneal is withering on a bench.

D.West sure have intrest in. A capable ball handler unlike Eddie House and will give us someone to guard the bigger PGs like Billups or Andre Miller or on and so. Rondo apparently can't do it in the playoffs without fouling. West would also be an emergency backup defender for SG with guys that are too quick for Pierce and Posey.

West will probuly cost too much for him to be a possibility though.

Gomes should find someplace..somewhere on a bench in the NBA. I don't know who for.
7seventynine9
Junior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by 7seventynine9 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:16 pm

Delonte West is not a capable ball handler. His handle isnt any better than Eddie House. If we are going to get a back up PG, we should get an actual back up PG. Not Eddie House, not Delonte West, not Sam "they call me a PG" Cassell.

I want no part of West or Gomes on this team.

Return to Boston Celtics