ImageImageImage

Celtics dont make Tony Allen a QO

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Re: Celtics dont make Tony Allen a QO 

Post#16 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:34 pm

If TA signs elsewhere I'll definitely miss him. I think he was finally 100% healthy when he played in the finals. He made a strong spin move on the baseline against Kobe and took it strong too the hoop and of course that alley oop. That was the Tony we all know and love. He's not the smartest guy in the world and he doesn't have the best jumper or the best handle but dammit the kid is a Celtic. When he's hurt or benched he doesn't pout, he jumps up and down on the sideline waving a towel with a big grin on his face. That's the kid of guy you want on your team. He's done everything that's asked of him on this team since he was drafted and unfortunately had had to deal with two heartbreaking injuries.

I really hope that he comes back. There's plenty of room for Pierce, Ray, Walker, Giddens and Tony on the roster. Guys that defend like Tony are always going to have a place in this league whether his offensive game ever takes off or not. If he can stay healthy I really think Tony is capable of being a starter on a playoff team and more importantly a 6th or 7th man on a championship team. This kid has major talent and if the worst is already behind him at 26 years old he's got plenty of time to get everything right offensively.

Remember, he's spent more time rehabbing freak knee injuries the past three seasons than working on his game. If his knees hold up there's no doubt in my mind he will be able to add a respectable jumper to his game. The issue has never been talent, attitude or work ethic with him, it's always been confidence. The confidence issue is all tied to being able to trust his knee. Once he does you don't see him make nearly as many boneheaded plays or unforced turnovers. He just plays the game and that's when he;s at his best.

I really feel that we held Tony back in the playoffs BECAUSE we wanted to make sure his knee was fully healed. I don't think he fell out of grace with the organization. I can only help that's true and DA believes in him as much as I and a few other do on this board. He's back, folks. Tony Allen is healthy again and I think he's going to be a major contributor next season. Whether it be in Celtic green or not.
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#17 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:43 pm

I really can't see there being much of a market for Tony. He's strictly a 2 guard who can penetrate and defend. He's not a 3 point shooter, he's absolutely not an "intellegent vet", he's still coming off an injury. He's not going to start for anyone until he wins a job. He makes too many bonehead plays to be a reliable guy off the bench. Until he proves different, he's just another 6-4 journeyman, a minimum salary guy.
He may get lucky and find one team who loves his potential, but he's been in the league 4 years now, is 26, and comes with the old shooting baggage. You can excuse his situation from the injuries but he still plays like a rookie.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#18 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 1, 2008 5:58 pm

This is not surprising. I like TA - he is undervalued around here. But they clearly lost faith in him down the stretch and clearly we drafted replacements.

Pete
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,926

Post#19 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:11 pm

Let's be honest, Tony Allen has been given a million chances in his four years in Boston. Tony Allen just never grabbed the bull by the horns. He still plays like a rookie more often then not. Gerald Green would do cartwheels for the number of chances Tony Allen has received. That being said I would definitely welcome him back at a one year minimum contract.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#20 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:08 pm

^^^ Tony has proven he can play in this league, IMHO. Let's not sell his accomplishments too far short since he is on his way out. GG is out of the league. I think that's a ridiculous comparisons. TA will be playing for someone..

Pete
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man

Post#21 » by SonicYouth34 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:14 pm

I wish TA the best. He was great when he was healthy but I guess that with Giddens and Posey being a priority he was the one to go. On a side note I'm never buying a Celtics jersey again, every time I do they get traded: Telfair, Jefferson, Walker, LaFrentz (friend bought this one as a joke for me) and now Tony
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#22 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:16 pm

GuyClinch wrote:^^^ Tony has proven he can play in this league, IMHO. Let's not sell his accomplishments too far short since he is on his way out. GG is out of the league. I think that's a ridiculous comparisons. TA will be playing for someone..

Pete

Who is comparing him to Gerald Green? Not me. I just said that Gerald Green would love to have as many chances as Tony Allen has had to be a serious rotation guy. I'm not comparing the two players skill wise. You have to admit that TA has had a lot more chances then GG.

The notion that Doc Rivers or Danny Ainge or someone else held Tony Allen back is baloney. Tony Allen held Tony Allen back. He didn't produce when called on.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#23 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:50 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Let's be honest, Tony Allen has been given a million chances in his four years in Boston. Tony Allen just never grabbed the bull by the horns. He still plays like a rookie more often then not. Gerald Green would do cartwheels for the number of chances Tony Allen has received. That being said I would definitely welcome him back at a one year minimum contract.

Those chances were taking away from the two knee injuries. Don't forget that.

I don't want to lose TA, but re signing James Posey is the priority. The drafting of J.R. Giddens will make the lose of TA a lot easier. Replacing what Posey brought to the table will be a lot harder.
DelMonte West
Veteran
And1: 660

Post#24 » by DelMonte West » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:41 pm

return2glory wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Let's be honest, Tony Allen has been given a million chances in his four years in Boston. Tony Allen just never grabbed the bull by the horns. He still plays like a rookie more often then not. Gerald Green would do cartwheels for the number of chances Tony Allen has received. That being said I would definitely welcome him back at a one year minimum contract.

Those chances were taking away from the two knee injuries. Don't forget that.

I think the point he was trying to make was that those two knee injuries were the direct result of Tony's own doing. Obviously the most recent was completely unneccessary, while the first is still embedded in his murky "F him up" antics. These could/should have been prevented; it's not Al Jefferson rolling his ankles here.

Let's not act like he's already off the team. I love what he brings when his body and mind are on straight, but he's had ample room to show the team what he's got. He put himself in this position; whether he's done enough to dig himself out is another matter.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#25 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:53 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
armageddon wrote:There's a strong chance he's resigned at a lower salary or used in a sign and trade.

A sign and trade does not apply because the Celtics have no rights to Tony Allen. He is an unrestricted free agent. They did not offer him a qualifying offer so they lose all rights.

This is wrong. The only thing Boston has given up is the right to match any offer and make Tony a restricted free agent which would allow them to keep him for one more season. They have his bird rights and can still sign him to what ever deal they want and could sign and trade him if it made sense for both sides.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#26 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:00 pm

sully00 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
armageddon wrote:There's a strong chance he's resigned at a lower salary or used in a sign and trade.

A sign and trade does not apply because the Celtics have no rights to Tony Allen. He is an unrestricted free agent. They did not offer him a qualifying offer so they lose all rights.

This is wrong. The only thing Boston has given up is the right to match any offer and make Tony a restricted free agent which would allow them to keep him for one more season. They have his bird rights and can still sign him to what ever deal they want and could sign and trade him if it made sense for both sides.

If that is true then my bad but I think they gave up those rights because they didn't offer him a qualfying offer.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#27 » by chakdaddy » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:52 am

Celts17Pride wrote:

>This is wrong. The only thing Boston has given up is the right to match any offer and make Tony a >restricted free agent which would allow them to keep him for one more season. They have his bird >rights and can still sign him to what ever deal they want and could sign and trade him if it made >sense for both sides.

If that is true then my bad but I think they gave up those rights because they didn't offer him a qualfying offer.

I am fairly sure you are mixing up the lack of a qualifying offer with "renouncing his rights." Not giving the QO just makes him a UFA instead of an RFA. Renouncing his rights would waive his Bird rights and get rid of his cap hold, making him like a UFA on a different team.
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#28 » by ARB729 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:56 am

If he does leave, I think we'll regret this in a few years. Tony was the second best player on this team before he hurt his knee IMO. Call him my binky, but I think Tony can be a solid starter in this league still.
formerly RedSoxFan729
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#29 » by TheCelticTruth » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:48 am

im noy upset about losing another guy from the old team. i rooted for them, but...they were terrible! you dont know who our team is? i say, now more than ever... the Cs are paul pierce.

and i love rondo and powe, powe since HS, rondo since UK, so they feel like ive known them for a good while

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#30 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:14 am

Who is comparing him to Gerald Green? Not me. I just said that Gerald Green would love to have as many chances as Tony Allen has had to be a serious rotation guy. I'm not comparing the two players skill wise. You have to admit that TA has had a lot more chances then GG.

That's a crock GG got a whole season and was made into a featured scorer with Doc. TA was a rotation guy behind RA this year. Come on now...GG got way to many chances.

Pete
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#31 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:30 am

“If things don’t work out with James or the others, we could still be (re-signing) him,” director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said. “I talked to Tony (Monday) and I just assured him that this doesn’t necessarily close the book for him. Who knows? Tony may get something somewhere else that leads to him making a change of scenery, too.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketba ... position=1

I.e., Ainge wants to bring back one fewer perimeter player than we had last season, in light of the two new draftees.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics