ImageImageImage

Posey draws interest from Detroit, New Orleans, L.A.L...

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,699

Re: Posey draws interest from Detroit, New Orleans, L.A.L... 

Post#21 » by return2glory » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:40 pm

We need to re sign Posey, period. People forget that signing Posey is like signing 2 or 3 players in one. Having Posey is liking signing a SF and a PF at the same time. He is a great locker room guy and those a lot of the little things that help a team win games. Posey was a big part of why we won the championship.
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#22 » by DorfonCeltics » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:18 pm

JHTruth wrote:I'd give him 3 years full MLE or let him walk. Posey's a great role player but franchises ruin themselves in this league precisely by overpaying role players. I remember everyone was saying we just HAD to resign Rodney Rogers after the 2002 run and then we watched him become an albatross in NJ. I'm not comparing the two, I'm just saying you can't just adopt a strategy of giving FAs whatever they want. You have to have a plan and be disciplined within your objectives. Posey must be evaluated within that framework and a decision reached. You can't just let agents own you or you become the Knicks..

+1,000,000

This is exactly how I feel and I'm pretty sure how Danny feels. I'd be shocked if he Posey gets more than 3 years at full MLE money from the Celtics. Danny has already set himself up perfectly with the expiring contracts of Ray, Paul and KG, it would go against all logic to give Posey a contract that lasts a year or two longer than Paul's. Hey I definitely want Posey back but only at the right price with is less than or equal to 3 years.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#23 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:27 pm

keep him away from deng
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,421

Post#24 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm not too big on Pietrus, but I do think he is likely to be a better 3 pt shooter than Posey...knock on him is bball IQ though, Warriors fans aren't big on him for that reason.

HOWever, if you look at a young James Posey, Pietrus' strengths/weaknesses/rep are very similar, so I can buy an argument that he is a young James Posey
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#25 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:35 am

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:keep him away from deng

:lol:
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,238

Post#26 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:12 am

I'd resign Posey, but i wouldn't offer him more than 3 years with a team option at the full MLE. He is 31 (32 in January). I would feel better with a two year deal.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#27 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:18 am

I would not use MLE money on Posey though I would go four years on his deal.

The issue for me would be loyalty. We used the MLE on Posey last season and guaranteed him the second year. Things went well for both of us, now I am willing to give him everything I can but not at the cost of helping the team. I can and will pay James some back end money for what he has done but if he is going to use up my FA money than he can get in line with everyone else.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,238

Post#28 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:42 am

sully00 wrote:I would not use MLE money on Posey though I would go four years on his deal.

The issue for me would be loyalty. We used the MLE on Posey last season and guaranteed him the second year. Things went well for both of us, now I am willing to give him everything I can but not at the cost of helping the team. I can and will pay James some back end money for what he has done but if he is going to use up my FA money than he can get in line with everyone else.

I'd be okay with that. I would agree that just giving him the 20% raise would be the best way to go, but still don't think i would want to give him too long a deal then. Remember dollar he gets costs Wyc two, and four years from now he won't be worth it.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#29 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:00 pm

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Clippers, if not the Lakers, were able to sign Posey to replace Magette at small forward. Posey and Thornton would be a nice small forward tandem.

Or Posey could end up with Phoenix. That would be interesting.

Return to Boston Celtics