ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#1 » by BillessuR6 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:17 pm

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... tics_blog/

The Celtics have made contract offers to two forwards in their own free agent James Posey and Clippers free agent Corey Maggette, sources told the Boston Globe. The most the Celtics could offer is the mid-level exception (about $5.8 million), and it's doubtful that they could sign both players. The terms of the offers were not disclosed.

Posey averaged 7.4 points and 4.4 rebounds and was a NBA Sixth Man of the Year candidate in his first season with Boston. The two-time NBA champion was a strong leader for the Celtics and opted out of the second year of a two-year deal on Monday to become an unrestricted free agent. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds last season for the Clippers and played for Celtics coach Doc Rivers in Orlando during the 1999-2000 season.
7seventynine9
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#2 » by 7seventynine9 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:18 pm

I wouldnt mind Maggette. Im not familiar with his defense, but he is definitely talented offensively.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#3 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:21 pm

I'd rather see Posey get the money than Maggette. Maggette is a nice player, just think Posey is a better fit for this team. He's an unselfish player that will play his ass off on the defensive side of the ball. Maggette is obviously a much better offensive player, I also question his ability to become a 6th man. Going from a big time role to a role player can be tough for some players.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,965

Post#4 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:21 pm

Hopefully this doesn't mean the Posey negotiations are going bad. :(
daveisceltics
Bench Warmer
And1: 517

Post#5 » by daveisceltics » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:24 pm

Corey could help this team so much offensively.
I'm sure he will buy into the defensive scheme.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#6 » by billfromBoston » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:26 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:I'd rather see Posey get the money than Maggette. Maggette is a nice player, just think Posey is a better fit for this team. He's an unselfish player that will play his ass off on the defensive side of the ball. Maggette is obviously a much better offensive player, I also question his ability to become a 6th man. Going from a big time role to a role player can be tough for some players.

...Maggette can back up both the 2 and the 3 and can even man the 4 sometimes in a small lineup--physically one of the strongest players in the league...I doubt it would happen, but Maggette is also pretty young and would allow Pierce/Allen to cut down to about 30-33 minutes per game, which would give Maggette 15-18 mpg at both the 2 and 3, which wouldn't be much of a downgrade in touches or playing time at all for him.

Maggette is an underrated player, but he's had injury concerns...if Maggette signs, Giddens and Walker have zero chance of getting playing time and it would be more like 2-3 seasons before they did (providing Pierce and Allen leave)...

Interesting move though-may just be posturing to force Posey's hand...but I'd be much more inclined to sign Maggette to 4 years at mid-level than Posey--Maggette is a legit go-to scoring option, Posey is a true role player...
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 899

Post#7 » by JR Hawks » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:30 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Hopefully this doesn't mean the Posey negotiations are going bad. :(

May not be going bad, but I think the C's are clearly sending Posey the message that they aren't going to wait around for him while he goes from city to city collecting contract offers.

I'm encouraged by this development.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#8 » by The Rondo Show » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:33 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Hopefully this doesn't mean the Posey negotiations are going bad. :(
I think it just means Corey Maggette is a significantly better basketball player than Posey is.

As much as I love Posey's game and how he fits in with the team, I've got to agree with Ainge tossing the mid-level Maggette's way and seeing if he bites to play for a title contending team. Maggette averaged over 22 points per game and did it extremely efficiently. I think the difference in talent outweighs the intangibles, chemistry that Posey brings.

And if Maggette accepts the offer, I think that would show he's a pretty unselfish guy who is willing to give up cash and some points per game to win. So I'm not too worried about the chemistry/if Maggette is willing to come off the bench. He knows what he's getting himself into.

That said, I doubt he accepts. I do think he's the kinda guy who is about points, playing time and money over titles...like the majority of the NBA is. We'll see, but he'd be a phenominal pickup.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#9 » by humblebum » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:34 pm

Wow, this is definitely interesting and hopefully this prevents any other contending team from signing Maggette for the MLE. If your Corey Maggette and your trying to hook on with a contender for the MLE for 4 years... what better place to play than Boston?
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#10 » by Collinto » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:36 pm

I love the aggresive move by Danny. This puts some pressure on Posey to decide. Let's hope this works out and one of these guys blinks first. Maggette would definitely help with some of those anemic scoring droughts the second unit went through...if Posey signs I'm happy too.

I have to also imagine that the MLE is a legit asking price for CM, as the Clips probably won't sign and trade to bring on more salary or may renounce him to pursue Davis. And the fact that this goes to the media this quick means that he must be fairly serious.

Also, Eric how did you get to a four year offer for Maggs? I'd assume five years, no?
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#11 » by BakersDozen » Tue Jul 1, 2008 9:54 pm

I'd love to get Maggette if he would accept coming off the bench... I think he will probally end up in Orlando though.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,421

Post#12 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm not huge on Maggette, but he's a great value for the MLE and makes for a great offensive option off the bench without necessarily being a defensive liability.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#13 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:05 pm

Maggette would be a step down defensively but he can create shots better than Posey can. Posey just hit so many clutch 3's in the playoffs, he's like a good luck charm.

Maggette probably deserves more than the MLE but I don't think he'll get it.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,977

Post#14 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:30 pm

I'd rather have Posey 99 times out of 100, but I wouldn't complain if the team signs Maggette as a plan B. Maggette would bring the scoring punch off the bench that Eddie House brought this past season.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#15 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:50 pm

NEST was saying could it be because Ray Allen is out?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#16 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:59 pm

Don't get me started on the benefits of trading the oldest of the "Big 3"- an aging, max-contract shooting guard who plays the most easily filled position in the NBA
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:12 pm

Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#18 » by greenbeans » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:14 pm

hiphop1 wrote:Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.

thatd be crazy if we could get both. CRAZY
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#19 » by dsorc » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:16 pm

I don't know where people are getting that we offered him the full MLE. The article says we made him an offer but gives no numbers. Given our other needs in FA I seriously doubt that either one of them was offered the MLE. I also would be very, very surprised if they're looking to move Ray.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:18 pm

greenbeans wrote:
hiphop1 wrote:Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.

thatd be crazy if we could get both. CRAZY

I hear that!

Return to Boston Celtics