ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#121 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:34 pm

Spurs are gonna be kicked up a notch with Maggette. If they got him that is a great signing for them!
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#122 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:41 pm

Indeed. Magette would be a perfct fit there.San Antonio needs more scoring and Bowen should be sent to the bench.
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#123 » by P2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:49 pm

Money isn't a problem now if we want to get Maggette (as the Clippers are the only team able to offer him more than the MLE). It's the minutes. He would instantly be the starter on the Spurs and Lakers, but would only be a backup here. But I agree with another poster, if you cut down their minutes to 30-32 MPG, Maggette could very well play more than 25 minutes, which is still 10 minutes short of what we would get on teams where he would be the starter.

BUT, we would expect him to be a scorer off the bench, basically the primary option, which I think he definitely likes. In addition, he would be going to the World Champions who rely on his services, which would be a confidence booster, and also he would have the best chance at winning the title. He said he felt like it was an honor that the C's called him. So we'll see.

If the two options are signing either Maggette or Posey to the full MLE with 4 or more years years, you definitely have to go with Maggette, who would only be 32 at the end of this contract, compared to Posey, who is 32 in January 2009. That factor alone wouldn't let me think twice.
Luxurytaxlotterybust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#124 » by Luxurytaxlotterybust » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:56 pm

Great move for SA. Magette is a legit scorer and with Manu, Parker, Duncan and Magette they have their "core" for a nice few years. Money obviously wasn't the issue it was Playing time.

I know I may get ripped for this but I would rather have a younger Magette than an aging Ray Allen right now. Tough to trade a guy who just helped bring a banner but having Magette available would make me think twice.

Very interested in what people like Michael Finley do now. Magette is a HUGE upgrade over him and it seems clear he is not coming back to SA. Magette was a key player in the larger free agency picture. With him signed i bet we see a lot more action on these 2nd tier guys now.
"THERE'S A STEAL BY BIRD! WHO GIVES IT TO DJ. WHO LAYS IT UP AND IN!"
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#125 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:07 pm

ESPNEWS still running the headline of celtics make offer to maggette. They should add the spurs to that too, because it looks like they will get him.

Good for maggette. I really like that move on both parts.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#126 » by tombattor » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:19 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:how do you know maggette doesnt play any defense? he went to duke where coach k preaches defense...

and before this year, everyone said ray allen & paul pierce dont play any defense. if maggette came here, he'd be an incredible defensive player. KG wont allow any slacking on the defensive end

Apparently, you have never seen Maggette play in the NBA... Because he's the king of letting his guy beat him and then reaching in.
DorfonCeltics
Analyst
And1: 215

Post#127 » by DorfonCeltics » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:26 pm

tombattor wrote:
kmgarnett21 wrote:how do you know maggette doesnt play any defense? he went to duke where coach k preaches defense...

and before this year, everyone said ray allen & paul pierce dont play any defense. if maggette came here, he'd be an incredible defensive player. KG wont allow any slacking on the defensive end

Apparently, you have never seen Maggette play in the NBA... Because he's the king of letting his guy beat him and then reaching in.

And what was Ray's defense considered before he go here? In this type of environment (KG and Thibs) it's pretty hard not to become at least an average defender.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#128 » by tombattor » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:27 pm

Luxurytaxlotterybust wrote:Great move for SA. Magette is a legit scorer and with Manu, Parker, Duncan and Magette they have their "core" for a nice few years. Money obviously wasn't the issue it was Playing time.

I know I may get ripped for this but I would rather have a younger Magette than an aging Ray Allen right now. Tough to trade a guy who just helped bring a banner but having Magette available would make me think twice.

Very interested in what people like Michael Finley do now. Magette is a HUGE upgrade over him and it seems clear he is not coming back to SA. Magette was a key player in the larger free agency picture. With him signed i bet we see a lot more action on these 2nd tier guys now.

I don't know if I'd rather have Maggette than Ray Allen, but that's the kind of role Maggette needs to play. #2 or 3 scoring option. The role he'd be playing on the Celtics is the 6th man who comes in and play tough D and playing off the big 3, which doesn't suit his game. He's the most effective when he has the ball and is working one-on-one. So he'll be a great pick up for the Spurs as the #3 scoring option as a starter with Manu going back to his super 6th man role.
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#129 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:04 pm

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/lo ... 01600.html

Have you guy's seen this, and if so what is the take in Boston?
Ant
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by Ant » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:09 pm

Goodbye James Posey.
Danny Ainge Owned me!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#131 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:16 pm

wow, shocking news. they arent gonna turn into the Knicks, what a surprise
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#132 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:30 pm

I just hope this isn't a sign of the start of this rosters Mutilation.

I really don't know exactly how the Celtic's could of resigned Poz.
Maybe Danny's hands are tied. But Really I believe they could have givin him a 5 year
contract with at least the last 2 year having a team option on them.

After all, I believe Posey took money out of his pockets to play here last season.

It sure look's bad on Danny or WYC and the owners group. But there should be a little
gratuity towards your team roster after the success the team had.
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#133 » by captain_cheapseats » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:42 pm

It'd be unbeleivable if we could bring him in. In his prime, capable of putting up 20+ a night, plays two positions equally well, great rebounder for a wing, and available for the MLE. As for the argument that he doesn't play defense, ehh, if I played for a perenial loser like the Clippers I probably wouldn't be too intense on the defensive end either. He certainly has the physical tools to be a great defender, so maybe he'd turn it around here just like Pierce and Allen did. And even if he can't, so what? We could use scoring and rebounding off the bench a lot more than defense,** and no one can deny his ability in those two areas.

**At least IMO, given that we are already the #1 defensive team in the NBA.
P2
Banned User

Post#134 » by P2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:48 pm

Luxurytaxlotterybust wrote:Great move for SA. Magette is a legit scorer and with Manu, Parker, Duncan and Magette they have their "core" for a nice few years. Money obviously wasn't the issue it was Playing time.

You talk like he has already signed with the Spurs.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#135 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for the ring, Posey. I hope you get paid the long term deal you want elsewhere and ruin another franchise's financial flexibility.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#136 » by BillessuR6 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:35 pm

I have been looking at the numbers and feel we have a pretty good chance of retaining Posey.

MLE:
5,5 6,0 6,5 7,0 7,5 = cca 33 million

non-bird contract:
3,84 4,15 4,48 4,84 5,22 = cca 22,5 million

Posey is 31 and I really don`t see a team which would offer him a 5 year deal. He would be 36 and make 7,5 million in his last season...A 4 year deal is probable, IMO...

For 4 years he would get around 25 million and that is basically what he would get for a 5 year non-bird deal...

The biggest question is what is Danny`s priority. Length of the contract or money. Ideally JP˙s contract wouldn`t be more than 3 years but I would be willing to give him a 5 year non-bird deal, cause he would be tradable with a modest contract like that, IMO...That would, of course, allow us to use our MLE on other FA`s...

However if he gets a 5 year MLE deal from a team he is probably gone. No way, we pay him that much.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#137 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:38 pm

MoBSTa wrote:http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_184001600.html

Have you guy's seen this, and if so what is the take in Boston?

I think this deserves its own thread. It's BIG news. It pretty much means that unless Posey really wants to stay, and will take a pay cut from what he could get else where, he won't be on the team next year. This also may open up the window to bring Tony Allen back. According to Ainge, the book isn't shut on Tony, but him coming back is dependent upon the Posey negotiations.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#138 » by The Rondo Show » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:56 pm

A Celtics source, disputing several published reports, insisted today that Danny Ainge has not made a contract offer to free agent Corey Maggette - noting instead that Ainge has talked to several players, including the former Clipper, without making an offer.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/

Spears says they made a contract offer, Murphy says no offer yet, just that Ainge has contacted him. Either way, based on both reports and Maggette's quotes, it's clear there's some significant interest here.
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#139 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:09 pm

Well to be Honest what would be in it for Meggette to sign with the C's?

If the Celtic's are not going to make a bid on Posey, or even let his agent know what he is worth to them. Why would they Meggette even if they repeated for a championship?

I believe they will be more top free agents next season.
I also don't see Meggette getting Paid any more then.
I surely don't see Boston helping him out if they neglected Posey.
To be honest, I know this is a business, however these are real people with real lives.
At some point, a hard worker does deserves a little gratuity.
If I were and agent or player and knew that were true I might just pass on another similar situation.
A Classy, Org. would not ask a guy to do what any vet did on this team and come back for a pay-cut.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#140 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:11 pm

classy organizations that do players favors dont win. you treat your stars right and get guys who want to fill roles.

Return to Boston Celtics