ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#16 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 1, 2008 10:59 pm

Don't get me started on the benefits of trading the oldest of the "Big 3"- an aging, max-contract shooting guard who plays the most easily filled position in the NBA
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#17 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:12 pm

Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#18 » by greenbeans » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:14 pm

hiphop1 wrote:Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.

thatd be crazy if we could get both. CRAZY
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#19 » by dsorc » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:16 pm

I don't know where people are getting that we offered him the full MLE. The article says we made him an offer but gives no numbers. Given our other needs in FA I seriously doubt that either one of them was offered the MLE. I also would be very, very surprised if they're looking to move Ray.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:18 pm

greenbeans wrote:
hiphop1 wrote:Maybe we offered Posey the 3.8mil raise for 4 years. And we offered Maggette the full MLE.

thatd be crazy if we could get both. CRAZY

I hear that!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#21 » by greenbeans » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:21 pm

dsorc wrote:I don't know where people are getting that we offered him the full MLE. The article says we made him an offer but gives no numbers. Given our other needs in FA I seriously doubt that either one of them was offered the MLE. I also would be very, very surprised if they're looking to move Ray.
what would think theyd offer Maggette?? anything less than a full MLE is spitting in his face imo
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#22 » by Cyclical » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:28 pm

I just don't see how Maggette can be had for the MLE. I think he was due 7 mil for next year and now became a FA thinking he can get more than that on the open market. Not sure what Ainge is offering but Wyc & Co. will have to go well above the cap to afford Cory on the team. There are plenty of teams out there that would love to have his offensive power on their team.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#23 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:28 pm

Sign Maggette, followed by a sign and trade where we ship Ray for Baron Davis? :dontknow:

PG Ellis
SG Allen
SF Jackson
PF Harrington
C Biedrins
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by hiphop1 » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:30 pm

Orlando is the only team I have heard which has offered Maggette a contract, and that was for the MLE.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#25 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:31 pm

Definitely would mind Maggette would prefer Posey tho.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#26 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:32 pm

Maggette spent a lot of time in recent years whining about NOT starting, and about his desires to get to a team where he did.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#27 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:33 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Maggette spent a lot of time in recent years whining about NOT starting, and about his desire to get to a team where he could.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#28 » by Bluewhale » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:36 pm

hiphop1 wrote:Orlando is the only team I have heard which has offered Maggette a contract, and that was for the MLE.

It's a good move to prevent Orlando to get him.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Post#29 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm in favor of this. I really think we should give Posey 3 years and nothing more. With that said, Maggette is 28 and in his prime. I don't see him signing for the MLE with us.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#30 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:40 pm

Perhaps a S&T where we ship Ray Allen to LAC and get Maggette in return? That way we'd be able to sign both Posey and Maggette. I don't really like that idea but it is the only logical possibility I can think of.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#31 » by JHTruth » Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:41 pm

I think it's a good move. Danny and Wyc have never been shrinking violets about being a little tough on FA's. I mean, Posey is a decent player but he is not the type of player that can lead the World Champs around by the nose while he flirts with other teams. Sign Posey, or you may miss out..
JMillott
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by JMillott » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:02 am

If we could get Corey Maggette for the MLE then we have to do it and consider Ray Allen as trade bait for a better center in my honest opinion. At this point in their careers Ray Allen is no longer a better player and if you can get a better player at 40% of the cost you do it.

I think we could still get a pretty damn good bigman for Ray Allen if we were to shop him.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#33 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:07 am

Talk about jumping the gun. Ray Allen is not going to be traded. :nonono:

This is just a simple Maggette vs. Posey decision.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#34 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:10 am

I can't see any benefit to breaking this team up before it at least gets a chance to repeat. Even if another person seems to be an upgrade on paper, there's no way to know if he'll mesh in Boston. For example, putting Maggette at the 2 instead of Ray makes the Celtics more athletic, but other teams can take their chances on Maggette shooting from beyond the arc and maybe help off him a little or maybe play some zones - things they would never do with Ray. Putting Maggette in Posey's role has much less risk (I don't see Maggette liking that role and that salary - he's still too young to be that desperate for a ring).

Ray has only two years left on his deal. He has value now on the court, and his expiring contract in two years will be valuable as well. If it so happens that the Celtics implode next year - then maybe move him for the last year of his deal (I could see the Nets trading plenty for Ray's expiring contract, so that they have cap space to make a run at LeBron in 2010).
Falstaff
Starter
And1: 412

Post#35 » by Falstaff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:14 am

greenbeans wrote:
dsorc wrote:I don't know where people are getting that we offered him the full MLE. The article says we made him an offer but gives no numbers. Given our other needs in FA I seriously doubt that either one of them was offered the MLE. I also would be very, very surprised if they're looking to move Ray.
what would think theyd offer Maggette?? anything less than a full MLE is spitting in his face imo

Well the only teams with space under the cap are Philly, Memphis, and the Clippers, right?

I don't see either Philly or Memphis being interested considering Philly has Iguodala to worry about resigning at the same position, and then has a bunch of SF-ish players behind him as well. Memphis is in a similar position with Gay at SF and Mayo at SG. I'd think both those teams would be looking for a PF, not a wing. And since Magette is already with the Clippers - well if he wants out, then he's got to look at less money.

Return to Boston Celtics