ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#161 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:39 pm

I just wonder who put out the rumor that Boston had offerd Meggette a contract?

I believe it was Marc Spears who reported the offer. And Maggette himself confirmed the interest.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#162 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:01 pm

LongTimeFan wrote:As much as I liked Posey and his contribution to the teams' emotional resilience, the numbers for Posey are not that favorable.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07BOS8D.HTM

http://www.82games.com/0708/07BOS8C.HTM

His -11.2 points per hundred poss. is quite negative. Granted he was playing much of the time defending the opponents PF during crunch time. But nonetheless, the numbers aren't that great on a team that dominates.

The problem Posey has is that Celtics really do go by the numbers and value him based on the tangibles. They'll give some consideration to the goodwill Posey has earned, but nowhere near the MLE and the long term deal.

Well according to those stats, TA is a better player than Posey, but we didn't even make a QO to him... For Posey, I think that the On court/Off court may be effected by KG and Pierce being the primary players at the positions he backs up.
But like others said, he's not irreplaceable, and he's not a cornerstone of this franchise. If he wants to leave for more money, that's his prerogative.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#163 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:03 pm

I think the reason Ainge said that he didn't offer a contract, is that it's illegal to have 2 offer sheets for the MLE out at the same time. So he may have said to Maggette, we'll give you the MLE if you come, but he didn't formally make an offer.
Luxurytaxlotterybust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#164 » by Luxurytaxlotterybust » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:08 pm

I agree with posts saying put a value on Posey and do not over pay. Vets will look to the Celtics to come. As much as we loved him he is replaceable. Not sure if Magette fills the defensive post-season stopper but if he had a 5 year deal you basically have Ray Allen's starting replacement in 2 years.

it also frees up Danny to trade Allen after next season when his $16 million contract becomes an expiring deal.

Pierce and Allen will not play a full 82 game schedule and it provides a GREAT scoring option off the bench, something we didn't always have.

Make the move Danny and Corey please come.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,080

Post#165 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:51 pm

I personally don't think we should be giving either guy the full MLE. I bitch about Ray's age but I think Posey even more likely to have little left in the tank. With the core we have I don't want to lock into anyone else including Posey for too many years.
P2
Banned User

Post#166 » by P2 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 6:38 am

In a new article, Maggette has some kind words for us:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ll/?page=1

A day after talking with Celtics coach Doc Rivers, a longtime family friend, Clippers free agent forward Corey Maggette said he is seriously considering an offer to join the NBA champions.

While there is no news regarding Posey, Maggette said he could be coming to Boston in the near future to visit with the Celtics. Free agents can't sign until Wednesday.

"I don't want to hold the Celtics up or [general manager] Danny Ainge," said Maggette in a telephone interview. "I talked to Doc . . . I'm not going to hold them up. I know they are still looking at James Posey. But I'm still weighing my options."

If James Posey isn't leaving money or years on the table, you can straight up forget about him, because Ainge definitely won't do this. Maggette, on the other hand, is totally worth it, as is Pietrus.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#167 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:42 am

Interesting article...

An NBA source said the Celtics offered Posey a three-year, $12 million contract, but a team official denied it.

I wonder how far these numbers are from the truth...

And for all of you who hate Sam he still can help this team: :wink:
Maggette was a teammate of Celtics free agent guard Sam Cassell with the Clippers from 2005-08. They recently shared some Celtics talk.

"He said to come out to get a ring," Maggette said.

And the fact that Doc is a players` coach and a great communicator come really handy in free agency negotiations. The guy can sell anything! He has good relationship with most players and now it is time for him to shine!

It would be great to see Maggette coming to Boston for a visit...
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#168 » by Maple Green » Fri Jul 4, 2008 8:50 am

We are in wait see scenario what DA next move. I know he had a lot of surprise to Boston fans.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#169 » by mr_sunshine » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:18 am

If DA signs Maggette with the MLE to be our 6th I will **** my pants. He's a legit starter (borderline all-star) on any other team, and to have him as our 6th man? Yes please! He can give both Paul and Ray Ray a rest, which would be nice.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#170 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jul 4, 2008 10:49 am

That latest article is definitely encouraging. Seems he is waiting on one or two teams before he makes his decision. The good thing is, he hasn't ruled us out yet. And is interested.

Come on doc, danny, even sam I am, make it happen!

Return to Boston Celtics