ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#41 » by grantlongforpresident » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:45 am

Maggette won't accept the MLE in my opinion. I think he opted out looking for more money rather then less.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,427

Post#42 » by Marley2Hendrix » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:47 am

BREAKING NEWS!!! - BDIDDYSAUR IS A CLIPPER.

Maggs can't get as much in Clipperland now and ESPN says LAC can't afford all 3 of bdiddy/brand/maggs...

WOO!!!

read the writing on the wall Maggette, You get the starting job in 1-2 years from Ray (Love the idea of moving him in his expiring year for high value if we have maggs and a developing walker/giddens waiting in the wings), all the while getting extensive post season opportunities to shine.

Let's just hope KG/Paul/Doc convince him Boston>Orlando.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#43 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:48 am

Yeah, now that I think about it, it is probably a pipe dream. Would be AMAZING if it happened though.
Free your mind and your a** will follow
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#44 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:50 am

Well, I don't think this has anything to do with Ray being traded. I don't think he will be this season. Next season could be a different story.

As to offering Maggette, this is a nothing to lose, everything to gain scenario. I don't think there's any way that Maggette signs for the MLE. Somebody will give him more. Still, why not take a shot if you're Ainge. Incredible stroke of luck if he does sign for it.

That said, for this particular team, I'd prefer to bring Pose back for at most 3 years. Pretty sure this is an either/or situation, and no way we'll sign both. Maggette is a real long shot. There's probably a slew of teams that will offer him the MLE. I don't know how many teams have cap room to offer him more, but somebody likely will. I think our only hope to sign him is if he takes a one year deal or something. He'd have a chance for a ring, then throw his hat into the free agent ring again next year (much like Pose did this year).

I'm happy with either one, though. Problem is, I think Pose will look for more than 3 years, and somebody will probably give him that. Hope Danny has a good plan C, 'cause nothing's guaranteed. I like plans A and B though.

Good to see Danny's all over it (not that I doubted).

Edit: Come to think of it, the most likely scenario is that he's signed and traded to someone.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:53 am

Barry Lird wrote:Well, I don't think this has anything to do with Ray being traded. I don't think he will be this season. Next season could be a different story.

As to offering Maggette, this is a nothing to lose, everything to gain scenario. I don't think there's any way that Maggette signs for the MLE. Somebody will give him more. Still, why not take a shot if you're Ainge. Incredible stroke of luck if he does sign for it.

That said, for this particular team, I'd prefer to bring Pose back for at most 3 years. Pretty sure this is an either/or situation, and no way we'll sign both. Maggette is a real long shot. There's probably a slew of teams that will offer him the MLE. I don't know how many teams have cap room to offer him more, but somebody likely will. I think our only hope to sign him is if he takes a one year deal or something. He'd have a chance for a ring, then throw his hat into the free agent ring again next year (much like Pose did this year).

I'm happy with either one, though. Problem is, I think Pose will look for more than 3 years, and somebody will probably give him that. Hope Danny has a good plan C, 'cause nothing's guaranteed. I like plans A and B though.

Good to see Danny's all over it (not that I doubted).

Maggette arguably had his best season as a pro, I doubt he would opt out of his contract to take a one year deal.
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Post#46 » by TommyPoints » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:56 am

Wow, I would love Maggette. I'm going to have to just sit back and see what Danny boy can do.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#47 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:58 am

hiphop1 wrote:Maggette arguably had his best season as a pro, I doubt he would opt out of his contract to take a one year deal.

I agree hiphop. Highly doubtful. I edited my previous post because after thinking about it, I bet he'll be signed and traded to somebody (not us) for a good bit more than the MLE.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#48 » by floyd » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:04 am

Clips need to renouce his rights to sign Brand and Davis. Pretty sure that means they can't sign and trade him. So it's either one of the few teams with cap space or the MLE for him. If he takes the MLE I bet he gets a player option with it.
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#49 » by ARB729 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:08 am

Anyone see the Spurs as an option for him? They have their full MLE and they could use him to start in place of Finley.
formerly RedSoxFan729
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:10 am

RedSoxFan729 wrote:Anyone see the Spurs as an option for him? They have their full MLE and they could use him to start in place of Finley.

That would be an interesting fit.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#51 » by Collinto » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:48 am

I would take Maggette 99 times out of 100 over Posey for the same money. I respect all the man-love for Posey, but I take the younger more talented player over the older, intangibles guy all day for this team. This team is full of character and intensity...if we were a younger team in need of more leadership I'd reconsider...but that is not the case.

There are two main factors that sway me. It would make us offensively more explosive, make us younger and give us more options/flexibility in the long term.

First, I was always intrigued by the idea of pairing Maggette and Pierce. The miss matches that they would create would be a nightmare for opponents. Since they both have the ability/tendency to use their strong bodies to drive into contact and draw fouls, we would be in the penalty early and often, not to mention the opponents foul troubles. Maggette averaged 10 FTA/game. Pierce averaged 6. In addition, both are big and quick and would abuse smaller 2 guards in the post.

Second, Maggette's angst in LA have been well documented. If we were trading for him I would worry, but if HE DECIDES (big if) to sign here, then I can't foresee a problem. If he wants to start on another team, he'll choose them. If he comes here of his own free will, then he is making an educated decision and will know his likely role and minutes up front. Also, our very own Pierce was called selfish and unmotivated defensively on a poor team. I wonder, and would be willing to risk, that a motivated Maggette would have a similar 'awakening' defensively as Pierce did this year...and that may be closer defensively to an aging Posey than we may realize.

Third, the Celtic's inability to create offense when the second unit was on the floor was one obvious weakness that got us in some trouble. With House and Posey playing with Ray Allen, there were a lot of shooters standing at the three-point line when the second unit was on the floor. Maggette solves that problem immediately.

Finally, I think the 'trade Ray Allen' is very premature. However, I do think that Maggette gives this roster more options going forward (future years). Maggette is more a possible replacement to Allen (after next season as trade or two seasons after he expires). Posey is a role player, meant to play WITH the big three, not to be part of the transition into a younger roster.

Just my two cents…I never imagined that this was even possible, so I am not sure it is a real possibility. However, the one thing that Ainge has to offer potential FA’s that other teams, like Orlando, do not is a success story in James Posey. Play well with us short term on shorter money than you’d like and sign your big contract later. Successful teams create successful players. Anyway, my fingers are crossed that Maggette is a Celtic this fall.
hiphop1
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by hiphop1 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:52 am

The Davis deal really screwed Maggette. No more sign and trade. Probably why Danny threw him a bone. Why not offer him the full MLE for max years and see if he bites. That is a STEAL for a player of Maggettes talent.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#53 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:07 am

If you can bring in another All star level player like Maggete you do it, Posey is in fact a better fit for the current role, but as Ray continues to age a player like Maggete could be key to extending our ability to win a championship by 2-4 years. If one of the big 3 goes down we would not miss a heart beat with maggete jumping into the lineup (as long as it was not KG).

Posey is great I hope we can bring him back, he is a much better defender but not as good a player as corey Maggete, the real question is how ready is Giddens to be james posey for say 8 minutes a night in the situations we really need D? thats the real question.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#54 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:33 am

Maggette would be a way better long-term solution on the wing than James Posey. I am pretty leery of giving James a long-term deal since he is already 31 and really can only shoot 3s as an offensive contributor.

Maggette, meanwhile, is just 28, is a highly-efficient scorer, a capable defender who could get even better under Thibodeau, and apparently at least interested in signing for less money to win here. With Ray Allen on the downslope and Pierce not getting any younger, bringing in Corey to play 25 MPG or so on the wing would be a pretty great option here.

I know everyone likes Posey, but Maggette is just a better player. Posey was perfect for the 07/08 Cs because he brought the championship experience. With #17 up and the team confident it can win it all, we can move forward and let someone else give a 31 year old guy who can't make plays for himself. Maggette can be the future replacement on the wing for Ray Ray.

Not to mention the fact that if Pierce ever went down for an extended period of time, Maggette can actually step in and be a true scorer at the 3. Without PP's slashing we'd be sunk, but if Corey was around we could just plug him in and play the same game.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#55 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:36 am

Maggette is leaving for the MLE. I believe that will avg over 7 mil for 5 seasons this year so he isn't giving up anything except the Clippers. He is actually a better perimeter defender than Posey when motivated. Not quite the tough presence and certainly not a defensive presence at the PF spot.

He is as good a 3pt shooter and has actually come off the bench quite a bit over the last few years and is pretty good in that role. He needs to play a lot like Paul with the ball in his hands, and he is just deadly against second line players. He could come to Boston and get starter mins off the bench and make a name for himself with a starting job in two years. Ray Allen is not going anywhere, did you miss the NBA Finals?

But lets be honest the kid is as athletic a player as there is in the league. This is a sign, as well as the draft that the first round against the Hawks scared Ainge as much as any other series we played. I think Ainge would be fine to bring back Posey with Maggette and match up more athletically with opponents, if not traditionally.

Obviously Doc has a connection with the kid and it certainly could be leverage against Posey who seems to be trying to get more from Boston and Ainge may be telling him "look this is were that money is going so you better know what you are talking about as far as other options." I would expect a run at Josh Childress as well.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,962

Post#56 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:40 am

Spurs are the front-runners for Maggette.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers’ free agent forward, multiple league sources said Tuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs’ desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring. Maggette would be leaving the Clippers, just as the team came to an agreement with Golden State free agent Baron Davis on a contract. With so much sudden salary cap space, the Warriors could be a threat to swoop in and take Maggette for themselves. The Boston Celtics have also shown serious interest in Maggette.
lukeridenour
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#57 » by lukeridenour » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:42 am

posey might be the better fit (chemistry, clutch, spreads floor, tough D) but maggette is clearly the better player. i think posey would be better. question, could posey be resigned using bird rights? and the MLE could be reserved for other options?
Manu Ginobili:

* Italian League Championship: 2001
* Italian Cup: 2001, 2002
* Euroleague: 2001
* Americas Championship: 2001
* NBA Championship: 2003, 2005, 2007
* Summer Olympic Games gold medal: 2004
coach mang
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,401

Post#58 » by coach mang » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:48 am

got to go w/ corey supermangdingo maggette over posey for all the reasons already mentioned.

mang stink if it between o-town and beantown he would go w/ us BUT if the spurs want him too thats a problem, then he gets to compete for a ring AND start; thats a nice deal for the boy.
JahReid
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by JahReid » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:49 am

Maggette would definitley add some younger blood to our team but is not a substitue for Posey in my mind. He is a great addition to the team, more valueable long term, but we need the Posey.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#60 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:56 am

lukeridenour wrote:posey might be the better fit (chemistry, clutch, spreads floor, tough D) but maggette is clearly the better player. i think posey would be better. question, could posey be resigned using bird rights? and the MLE could be reserved for other options?

Boston has no bird rights on Posey but could resign him at a 20% raise without using the MLE

Return to Boston Celtics