ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#61 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:02 am

Ok take it easy with the wild flowing trade ideas. Or not whatever... I hope maggette signs here. But I am not getting my hopes up.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#62 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:04 am

Stupid espnews. Breaking news, with a celtics logo, and I got all excited thinking we signed him, but it repeated that an offer was made. Thats not breaking news!
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#63 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:09 am

It is when you are the NBA champs.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:13 am

sully00 wrote:It is when you are the NBA champs.

Ok. Nevermind. ESPNEWS is better then nesn. I turned on sportsdesk thinking they would have something, and kathryn tappen just pronounced his name "Corey MAG-ET" :banghead:
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#65 » by Collinto » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:30 am

San Antonio seems like a good fit...but why join a team on the way down? They are only the third best team in their division, let alone conference. Lakers, New Orleans, Houston are all still better. Utah, Dallas, Suns and Clippers are in the same breathe. Portland and Denver are wild cards.

Both teams can offer the same money and basically the same minutes...Boston offers winning championships...or atleast playing in finals. Ainge seems like a good salesman. Remember when he almost convinced Karl Malone to come here over the Lakers (according to Malone). I feel good about landing Maggette...these aren't the Celtic's of the 90's.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:33 am

Collinto wrote:San Antonio seems like a good fit...but why join a team on the way down? They are only the third best team in their division, let alone conference. Lakers, New Orleans, Houston are all still better. Utah, Dallas, Suns and Clippers are in the same breathe. Portland and Denver are wild cards.

Both teams can offer the same money and basically the same minutes...Boston offers winning championships...or atleast playing in finals. Ainge seems like a good salesman. Remember when he almost convinced Karl Malone to come here over the Lakers (according to Malone). I feel good about landing Maggette...these aren't the Celtic's of the 90's.

Ya know. Either way I am glad of maggettes decision. It teaches guys something, it is not just about the bills it is about the rings. I hope he chooses celtics but I think he will stay west.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,237

Post#67 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:40 am

If we can resign Posey with the 20% and Maggette that would be huge, but i don't know if that would happen.

Maggette would be nice because it would give the Celtics some much needed bench scoring. Plus with Glenn Rivers wanting to limit the minuets of Ray, Paul, and Garnett he would get lots of playing time. If we trade Ray next year Maggette could step in and start.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#68 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:51 am

If we get Maggette, I did give a flying F where Posey goes. A 22ppg scorer coming off the bench?! Are you kidding me? We'd have our own Manu.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#69 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:10 am

Dollar for Dollar he goes to SA because of the taxes.

That said I don't know that SA just hands over the money. The full MLE is going to be roughly 7 mil a year for 5 years. They need to retool, Manu has two years left on his deal. If you are the Spurs do you give Maggette the money or do you fill the gaps and wait out '10 and see who wants to join TD, Parker, and Manu.

My guess is that Maggette is going to want an out in two or three years, but if Boston offers the out and a 35 mil guarantee then that may make up the tax issue. Boston has as much need for Maggette 3 years from now as they do now not so much in SA.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#70 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:10 am

Probably would never happen, but if he were to sign here, Ray could conceivably play a Hondo/McHale 6th man role. I mean, Maggette would be plenty good enough to start, and Ray would be tremendous scoring off the bench.

Just trying to think outside the box a little. That way, San Antonio would have NO advantage over us in terms of what they could offer him.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#71 » by CelticFaninLBC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:34 am

He'll go somewhere where he can start.. Probably Orlando..
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#72 » by The Rondo Show » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:35 am

Barry Lird wrote:Probably would never happen, but if he were to sign here, Ray could conceivably play a Hondo/McHale 6th man role. I mean, Maggette would be plenty good enough to start, and Ray would be tremendous scoring off the bench.

Just trying to think outside the box a little. That way, San Antonio would have NO advantage over us in terms of what they could offer him.
Why not just use Maggette off the bench? He's better at creating his own shot than Ray is and adds that same tremendous scoring Ray would coming off the bench.

Additionally, if Maggette accepted our offer it would mean he is willing to come off the bench (where as Ray may see it as a demotion and feel he's earned the right to start after playing a huge part in winning us a title) and I don't really see a reason to change our starting lineup that just won an NBA title.
banks336
Freshman

Post#73 » by banks336 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:39 am

Maggette is one of the best in the NBA period when it comes to getting to the FT line.. Have you'll looked at the way he's built? Maggette>> Posey.. But Posey does have some PHYSICAL defense, maybe we can give Maggette part of the MLE and Posey the rest... Maggette might really want a ring that bad. But if I was in the FO I would give the $ to Maggette any day of the week.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#74 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:53 am

We sent offers to both at the same time... to me that means if they both say Yes... we sign them both. I doubt you can offer a contract and say that the offer is only good if someone else doesn't sign. The only thing I could think of is if they offered them both the MLE and said - first one to sign gets it - OR - James was offered a 3 year deal at 20% raise each each... and Maggs was offered the full MLE for max years, and on PO after year 1 or 2.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:56 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Talk about jumping the gun. Ray Allen is not going to be traded. :nonono:

This is just a simple Maggette vs. Posey decision.

...exactly...this thread has taken on a feel of the absurd...Maggette has been offered a MLE deal...which is essentially the most he'll get out of anyone, barring a 25th hour commitment from Philly, Memphis, or one of the other mediocre teams with cap money...

Bottom line: The Maggette offer is a prod to get Posey moving so the team can move onto their other pressing needs at C and PG...it is an excellent option to have and one that could well come true if Posey drags his feet...
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,237

Post#76 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:58 am

GreenMachine wrote:We sent offers to both at the same time... to me that means if they both say Yes... we sign them both. I doubt you can offer a contract and say that the offer is only good if someone else doesn't sign. The only thing I could think of is if they offered them both the MLE and said - first one to sign gets it - OR - James was offered a 3 year deal at 20% raise each each... and Maggs was offered the full MLE for max years, and on PO after year 1 or 2.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Besides in a negotiation you never make your best offer right away, and the full MLE to Posey is the best offer possible, and if you can get him for less you shoudl try for it.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:00 am

GreenMachine wrote:We sent offers to both at the same time... to me that means if they both say Yes... we sign them both. I doubt you can offer a contract and say that the offer is only good if someone else doesn't sign. The only thing I could think of is if they offered them both the MLE and said - first one to sign gets it - OR - James was offered a 3 year deal at 20% raise each each... and Maggs was offered the full MLE for max years, and on PO after year 1 or 2.

...they can do exactly that...its a matter of explaining to the agents what the order of priorities is and that the terms are conditional upon the receipt of a decision from the other party and/or a decision to go with the first party that agrees....this happens all the time...its a conditional offer,nothing more..
GreenMachine
Head Coach

Post#78 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:07 am

OK. But I would still put my money on:

"James was offered a 3 year deal at 20% raise each each... and Maggs was offered the full MLE for max years, and on PO after year 1 or 2.'
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:21 am

GreenMachine wrote:OK. But I would still put my money on:

"James was offered a 3 year deal at 20% raise each each... and Maggs was offered the full MLE for max years, and on PO after year 1 or 2.'

...think about what you're saying...they have no need for both, nor could they accomidate a role befitting of both...add in the fact that the team just drafted two wings for development---they are targeting one or the other-not both..
GreenMachine
Head Coach

Post#80 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:28 am

Point taken. I guess I am just being greedy.

Return to Boston Celtics