ImageImageImage

Celtics make offer to Maggette!!!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Celtics make offer to Maggette!!! 

Post#91 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:04 pm

This reminds me of when Danny visited Karl Malone on the first day of FA. Its cool to know that Danny is trying but I cant see Maggette signing for so little.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#92 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:13 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:This reminds me of when Danny visited Karl Malone on the first day of FA. Its cool to know that Danny is trying but I cant see Maggette signing for so little.

Why can't people understand, there are only 3 teams that can pay Corey more than the mid-level. None of those teams have shown any interest in signing him, tying Maggette's hands. And also, when he says this,
"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys."

"It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

Maybe, maybe not, but it is certainly possible.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#93 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:17 pm

Well he's certainly got the right attitude.
P2
Banned User

Post#94 » by P2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:29 pm

If the question is whether to take Posey or Maggette for the full MLE, I would take Maggette.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#95 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:35 pm

That's not the question. The question is:

Posey at 3 years with 20% raises

-OR-

Maggette at the full MLE for 5 years

I take door #2 personally
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#96 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:53 pm

I haven't seen enough of Magette to know how much of a drop-off from Posey he'd be. Does he play D? Is he a good shooter?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
jking
Junior
And1: 4

Post#97 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:59 pm

I still say he gets over the MLE from someone. Golden St now has money to throw around with Baron off the books (and doesn't look like they're getting Arenas either), so they could go after him with big dollars. And I read somewhere that if Philly(way under the cap) can't pry Josh Smith from Atl (restricted), then Corey is their next choice.
MoBSTa
Junior

Offers to Posey and Meggette 

Post#98 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:01 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ke_of.html

I, don't know what to make of this but I certainly hope Danny is keeping some options open, With Meggette I believe injury is alway's a concern and I don't see Meggette filling the roll of Posey on the defensive end.

Where Posey could play the 4 Cory Meggette can't do that. I also think he caused alot of friction in the Clippers locker room in the past. I also don't see Meggette playing team ball with Pierce in the 2nd rotation or Meggette taking a back seat for being a role player.

I just hope Danny is leaving some of his chip's on the table. :roll:
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#99 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:18 pm

There is little option of him getting more than MLE from anyone. The only thing that has him grabbing headlines is the fact that he is unresctricted.

PHI needs a PF not a swingman they actually need to sign there own. While Smith might work they will be looking hard at Boozer and then Randolph on the trade market.

Offensively their is no comparison between him and Posey. Maggette has leading scorer skills. He isn't a consistently good defender but he has skills he is just a Clipper. This is like picking up Stackhouse off the bench at 28 years old and with some ability on the defensive end.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#100 » by Red2 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:32 pm

I agree that danny is trying to gain some leverage in his negotiations with posey. let's hope it doesn't back fire. we still haven't done anything about a big man and yes I've heard the rumors about the Birdman. Diop would be a great fit but again we don't have the cash for it. In order to re-sign Pose we need to say goodbye to tony so I think at least one of the rookies makes the team unless, miracle of miracles we land maggette. I guess the big three aren't allowed to re-work their contracts in order to give us more flexibility? If danny is splitting the midlevel between posey and maggette that isn't going to fly. Posey is 31 though so anything more than a 3 year deal is a major gamble.if we could somehow unload scalbrine that would really help
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#101 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:50 pm

Four teams are reportedly showing strong interest in signing free agent swingman Corey Maggette, one of them being the Jazz.

The L.A. Times is reporting that an anonymouse source close to Maggette has stated that he's been contacted by the Magic, Celtics and Heat, in addition to the Jazz. The Boston Globe is reporting that the C's made an offer to both Maggette and James Posey, and are waiting to hear back from both players. There is almost no chance that Maggette will return to the Clippers next season.

Source: Deseret News

That is the latest on maggette. Man, who would have thought this FA period would be that exciting. I am refreshing realgm to see the latest!!!
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#102 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:57 pm

Maggette may not be able to defend at the 4 like Posey but Paul Pierce can. Although there would be a drop off defensively the upgrade offensively would be huge.

How about a 4th quarter lineup of Rondo, Allen, Maggette, Pierce and Garnett. 5 guys who can beat you off the dribble. 5 guys who can create for others. 4 guys who kill you with outside shooting. 4 guys who are at or near franchise level player. 4 guys who can carry team on their backs when hot and a 5th who has done it once or twice also.

We are talking about a major upgrade with all do respect to Posey. Are we a better team? Can it work? Will the chemistry be there? Maybe not. Is Corey going to choke in the playoffs? Maybe.

I'd still like to see Posey back but Maggette would be a terrific addition.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#103 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:59 pm

Oh, just thought of another reason for corey maggette to join us. He is bald!

Ray allen. KG, and now maggette!! Do it ainge!!!
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#104 » by ARB729 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:03 pm

I read somewhere the Magic weren't an option for him , but the Spurs are planning to offer Magette a contract per ESPN (for the full MLE).

I would love this guy to come here, but the Spurs are his best option. He will start there, in place of Finley, and he will be looked upon to be a scorer.
jking
Junior

Post#105 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:13 pm

RedSoxFan729 wrote:I read somewhere the Magic weren't an option for him , but the Spurs are planning to offer Magette a contract per ESPN (for the full MLE).

I would love this guy to come here, but the Spurs are his best option. He will start there, in place of Finley, and he will be looked upon to be a scorer.

I agree, he wants/needs to start, he has that kind of mentality. They tried the 6th Man thing with him on the Clippers, and it was a failed experiment.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#106 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:18 pm

I don't see Magette signing with Boston. But, he sounded genuinely surprised by Ainge's interest.

"I was very surprised they called. They just came off a championship," said Maggette in a phone interview.

"It's a great honor to even hear from them," Maggette said. "Hopefully, I can look at some of the options. That's a good option playing for those guys."

Maggette opted out of the final year of his contract that would have paid $7 million next season. While an NBA source said Maggette's management has asked the Clippers for a contract starting at $11 million next season, he said he could be willing to take a pay cut for Boston. "It's not always about money," Maggette said. "I've been in the league a long time and I've made a lot of money. I'm tired of losing. I want to get back to the playoffs and win."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ltics+news
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,964

Post#107 » by jfs1000d » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:28 pm

Ok. Three points here.

We are stuck in a pre-KG era mindset. In that era, we had to overpay to get free agents because we stunk. So, the MLE was never used because the player we were going to get wasn't worth it. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY HERE NOW.

So, things have changed and here are two more things to consider.

1. Maggette is going to get RENOUNCED. That means he can't be a part of a sign and trade. If that happens, then only three teams can get him for over MLE money. Now, Golden State is trying to get Gilbert for 100 million. Thay would take them out of the running for Corey. Philly has Iggy, and Memphis has Gay.

So, once again, Maggette is likely to take the MLE from someone.

2. With that being said, it looks like a max MLE is Maggette's best way to go (good team, good money). The two best options are Boston and San Antonio for him. Personally, San Antonio he probably starts while in Boston he can plug in for Allen and PIerce and cut down on their minutes. The likelihood that Pierce and Allen are healthy for 82 games isn't good either IMO.

We'll see. We are probably going to get some more players too using the LLE and a minimum salary guy.
jking
Junior

Post#108 » by jking » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:39 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Ok. Three points here.

We are stuck in a pre-KG era mindset. In that era, we had to overpay to get free agents because we stunk. So, the MLE was never used because the player we were going to get wasn't worth it. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY HERE NOW.

So, things have changed and here are two more things to consider.

1. Maggette is going to get RENOUNCED. That means he can't be a part of a sign and trade. If that happens, then only three teams can get him for over MLE money. Now, Golden State is trying to get Gilbert for 100 million. Thay would take them out of the running for Corey. Philly has Iggy, and Memphis has Gay.

So, once again, Maggette is likely to take the MLE from someone.

2. With that being said, it looks like a max MLE is Maggette's best way to go (good team, good money). The two best options are Boston and San Antonio for him. Personally, San Antonio he probably starts while in Boston he can plug in for Allen and PIerce and cut down on their minutes. The likelihood that Pierce and Allen are healthy for 82 games isn't good either IMO.

We'll see. We are probably going to get some more players too using the LLE and a minimum salary guy.

Gilbert is almost certain to return to Washington, longer contract and more money, which means Golden St still has a lot of money to play with. And if he has to take the MLE, I definitly think it will be somewhere he can start.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#109 » by NYKBaller » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:52 pm

magette is not coming off the bench
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
MoBSTa
Junior

Post#110 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:00 pm

Well I believe Golden State lost Arenas once before, they might just want Arenas enough to force the wizards into tax land for a decade.

Ither way, I got a little love for the Warriors and Don Nelson. I also have a friend that is a huge Warrior fan and I hope with the parting of B-Ditty that GoldenState can fill baron's role to the fan's.

Return to Boston Celtics