ImageImageImage

OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Re: OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks 

Post#21 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:27 pm

Wow, Gerald Green has another job? Maybe he'll last more than ten days this year? I'd be really surprised if he amounts to anything more than a spot-up shooter off the bench.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#22 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:56 pm

^^Nah, Gerald will be out of the league in 2 years...I called him Kedrick Brown Mk II when we drafted him and it looks like I was right! :thumbsup:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#23 » by Athanacropolis » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:11 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Nah, Gerald will be out of the league in 2 years...I called him Kedrick Brown Mk II when we drafted him and it looks like I was right! :thumbsup:

You mean you didn't call him Tracy McGrady Mk II??????!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#24 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:15 pm

well there isnt a better pg out there for em, too bad hes 5 years late to meet up with Kidd. oh well, good luck to him. i bought into the hype big time and will always wish em well
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#25 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:12 pm

Athanacropolis wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Nah, Gerald will be out of the league in 2 years...I called him Kedrick Brown Mk II when we drafted him and it looks like I was right! :thumbsup:

You mean you didn't call him Tracy McGrady Mk II??????!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I can't believe some idiots actually were calling him that (I remember it well)...in fact I think Kedrick might have been slightly better than Gerald, to add insult to injury for the kid!

He'll fail in Dallas and be out of the league by 2010...mark my words.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#26 » by theman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:12 pm

It's a smart move by the Mavs. They had no first round pick this year and other than Josh Howard all their swing men are OLD. I don't know if Green will be a star but if he is a rotation player making min money that is fine.

As for GG needing to go for the money, I can't imagine he got more than the min, but he should have made enough in his first contract that he doesn't need to work again.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Tricky Ricky
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:14 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:
Athanacropolis wrote:

I can't believe some idiots actually were calling him that (I remember it well)...in fact I think Kedrick might have been slightly better than Gerald, to add insult to injury for the kid!

He'll fail in Dallas and be out of the league by 2010...mark my words.

Youre really going out on a limb there lol, whats all this hate with Gerald, he helped make the games watchable in 06/07 I knew we would lose but would always hope for a dunk from G$. I doubt this kid ever makes it but I wish him the best.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#28 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:50 pm

We probuly didn't do him any favors hyping him up, Pierce saying I look foward to sitting on the bench in 5 years and watch him, and constantly boosting his ego.

Oh yeah it's Pierce fault. You know he said good things about kedrick brown and Banks. Maybe we should put all the blame on him for that too.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#29 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:54 pm

Youre really going out on a limb there lol, whats all this hate with Gerald, he helped make the games watchable in 06/07 I knew we would lose but would always hope for a dunk from G$. I doubt this kid ever makes it but I wish him the best.

if by watchable you mean "displaying an appalling lack of fundamentals" then sure he did that... <g> The guy would miss defensive rotations - break offensive plays. He would drive when he should take jumpers and shoot jumpers when he should drive. It was kind of amazing.

We all thought Kedrick Brown was as talented as you could be and fail. But GG raised the bar - he could jump out of the gym and nail threes but he still was too clueless to play. Nothing about watching GG play was enjoyable.. It's more like watching a train wreck..or some kind of greek tragedy..

Pete
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,696

Post#30 » by 3pt % » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:24 am

eh, he should be able to get point on Alleys from kidd.

If he can then learn what D is, how to move off the ball, dribble, rebound, pass and a thing called a mid range game, he should be fine.

Funnily enough I actually hopes he makes it.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#31 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:56 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

if by watchable you mean "displaying an appalling lack of fundamentals" then sure he did that... <g> The guy would miss defensive rotations - break offensive plays. He would drive when he should take jumpers and shoot jumpers when he should drive. It was kind of amazing.

We all thought Kedrick Brown was as talented as you could be and fail. But GG raised the bar - he could jump out of the gym and nail threes but he still was too clueless to play. Nothing about watching GG play was enjoyable.. It's more like watching a train wreck..or some kind of greek tragedy..

Pete

^^Pete, nothing more needs to be said on the topic after that sentence. Just cos a guy can jump and hit some jumpers (Kedrick, Gerald) does not an NBA player make. When you're basketball IQ is lower than that of the actual basketball, you got problems (paging Tony Allen....although TA does have skills that compensate, sorta, for this)...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#32 » by lojowo » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:49 pm

Good Luck Gerald.

I hope you live up to your potential and come back to be a Celt one day.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#33 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:06 pm

GuyClinch wrote:
We probuly didn't do him any favors hyping him up, Pierce saying I look foward to sitting on the bench in 5 years and watch him, and constantly boosting his ego.

Oh yeah it's Pierce fault. You know he said good things about kedrick brown and Banks. Maybe we should put all the blame on him for that too.

If by "we" you read "Pierce" well then by all means that's your post.

Before Gerald left here he always received positive feedback and told how he was close and it was soon to break out. SI even had an entire section DEDICATED to him and his rising career. Greg Oden will not get this, Derrick Rose will not... honestly I can't recall the last player that got that. For a guy that couldn't make it off the bench he was followed like a star.They would regularly put up once a month updates from Green.

How he was progressing, when he thought he was going to break out. He was treated like the #1 pick from the media and apparently the organization didn't bring him down to earth. So who can blame him when the start off... I think his second year in his personal space left for him to write in SI he said "I don't want to go back to the NBDL again, I feel like I'm an NBA player now"

If Gerald didn't progress or didn't go foward far enough he was unaware of it. Oh and he wasn't sent back to the NBDL either. I still remember the announcers in 2k series saying how some people think this draft doesn't have talent well watch out for Gerald Green over 40inch vert and can shoot 3s he's a star waiting to happen. Freaking 2k, that was about the only positive thing anyone wrote into that game concerning the Celtic team.

I think it has to be looked at how badly he was handled all throughout his career. Bunch of yes men around from a very young age where he couldn't see anything of his flaws and no one brought him low enough to see them.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#34 » by cisco » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:05 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:

Pete

^^Pete, nothing more needs to be said on the topic after that sentence. Just cos a guy can jump and hit some jumpers (Kedrick, Gerald) does not an NBA player make. When you're basketball IQ is lower than that of the actual basketball, you got problems (paging Tony Allen....although TA does have skills that compensate, sorta, for this)...

I really liked Gerald and wanted him to succeed just as much as the next guy, but I agree with Pete, Gerald was anything but enjoyable to watch. It was very frustrating watching him and the reason I was so frustrated was because I wanted to bad for him to be good, but he's just not. :sigh:
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#35 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:17 pm

Exactly. No matter how much some on here lament the fact that he has physical gifts, he's severely lacking in the mental department...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Killuminati
Sixth Man
And1: 33

Post#36 » by Killuminati » Fri Jul 4, 2008 3:24 am

I'm still pretty high on green (No YOU get your mind right, not Mary Jane). He should do well for them if he gets any minutes.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,092

Post#37 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jul 5, 2008 11:46 pm

It's mind-boggling to see how the NBA is announcing their former slam dunk champion's signing with a new team: http://www.nba.com/transactions/current ... tions.html
ramshackle75
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by ramshackle75 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:59 am

I got a real soft spot for this kid and I hope he does well. Go get 'em, Gerald.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#39 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:37 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

Pete

In 06/07 I wanted to lose games near the end of the season. With Gerald in I knew wed lose and knew i had a chance to see something offensively special. That is how Gerald made the 06/07 season more entertaining for me. I just hope he finally figures it all out but I dont like his chances.
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,407

Post#40 » by theman » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:06 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:It's mind-boggling to see how the NBA is announcing their former slam dunk champion's signing with a new team: http://www.nba.com/transactions/current ... tions.html

San Antonio signs Gerald Green.
:eek1:
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger

Return to Boston Celtics