ImageImageImage

OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: OT-Gerald Green to join the Mavericks 

Post#41 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:13 am

I still like Gerald I think he was a little screwed by the situation in MINN last season. I mean he is what he is don't get me wrong he has a long way to go but plenty of guys have been in the same boat. DAL is a good spot for him as they are team that could use his kills at the same time he isn't 1 of 5 guys who have all the same brain cramps and lack of experience. He needs a lot of pieces to be a good starter but he only needs a little awareness and consistency to be bench scorer.

If Sebastian Telfair and Marcus Banks can still find work in this league then Gerald Green can too.
JediSkyWalker
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#42 » by JediSkyWalker » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:38 am

Why do you guys hate on Gerald so much?
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#43 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:04 pm

^^Cos he stinks and has the BBIQ lower than the of the basketball itself.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#44 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:55 pm

If Sebastian Telfair and Marcus Banks can still find work in this league then Gerald Green can too.

Please. These guys are short but with regards to game knowledge they are like rhodes scholars compared to Gerald Green (though that's not saying much). The real comparison is Kedrick Brown - but you know what Kedrick could at least D a guy up.. Even a BAD PG knows more about balling then a dumb SF..

Who has the better BBIQ Omar Cook or Gerald Green?

Pete
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#45 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:01 pm

^^Cos he stinks and has the BBIQ lower than the of the basketball itself.

I am not a believer in the "you have to be really smart to ball" mantra - but you have to at least be wise enough to realize that you need to work on being smart on the court. GG's regular IQ is suspect as well..

That's what seperates the dumb players from the smart ones. There are plenty of guys who are reasonably intelligent who don't put that to use on the court. And there have been guys who don't seem that bright in an interview but played like geniuses on the court (Gary Payton).

It's more a work ethic thing. Some guys rest on their laurels whereas others improve through the years. I thought JVG exaggerated on Pierce a bit in the playoffs but he has worked on the mental side of his game. That's the kind of effort you need to be a good pro.

It's really a kind of pattern recognition thing - and GG always seemed to get it wrong. It wasn't really selfishness or lack of effort but he rarely made the RIGHT play. Even when he did something good it was a matter of his talent overcoming a poor judgement.

I mean how does a good shooter shoot a low percentage? they take shots they shouldn't take and times they shouldn't take them... I don't see him putting it together and working at the mental part of his game. That's what it would take to get him to be a decent player in this league..

I can't claim real "credit" for seeing through GG. The only reason I was so wary on him throughout his Celtic tenure was Kedrick Brown. A great athlete - who could shoot some who just threw away his career. Kedrick though lacked effort all around - whereas GG focused on the wrong parts of the game.. But its the same kind of problem.

Bill Walker and Giddens are really interesting projects to me. As they both are reported to be smarter then the last set of uber athletic swingmen we had here. (Green and Kedrick Brown).. I don't put TA in that mix because he was PG size (though he did play big when healthy).

Walker in an interview seems like a intelligent guy - and Giddens seems at least average. Of course talent is still a question mark. As they were taken so late in the draft it seems unlikely their physical talents compare to Kedrick and GG.

pete
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#46 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:02 pm

They're upset because they spent so much time jerking off to posts claiming Green and AL Jefferson championship 17!!! and Gerald Green is why Ainge is a genious!!!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#47 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:37 pm

I reall wanted him back for next year. Think of all the celtics blowouts this past year. Now think if G$ was in at the end of those games. Just throwing down wild dunks. That would be more fun than watching Scal just trying to hit the rim. Trade TA for G$ even if TA can play D. Sign and trade. I'm all for it.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#48 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:01 pm

^^So what? We want a dope who can't play just to throw down dunks during garbage time? :nonono:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#49 » by 15th overall » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:33 pm

I'll take a humbled Bill Walker throwing down ridiculous dunks in garbage time and looking like he knows why the hell he's on a basketball court over anything Gerald could bring to the table.

That said I dont understand the Gerald hate either. He helped land us KG... I'm pretty sure that solidifies him as a good draft pick for us by default.

I'm hoping the best for him, maybe being near home will help him focus. It would really suck if that dunk contest was the only thing he had to show for his career.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#50 » by Athanacropolis » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:58 pm

15th overall wrote:I'll take a humbled Bill Walker throwing down ridiculous dunks in garbage time and looking like he knows why the hell he's on a basketball court over anything Gerald could bring to the table.

That said I dont understand the Gerald hate either. He helped land us KG... I'm pretty sure that solidifies him as a good draft pick for us by default.

I'm hoping the best for him, maybe being near home will help him focus. It would really suck if that dunk contest was the only thing he had to show for his career.

:rofl: Uh, that's a pretty dubious epithet to a basketball career!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#51 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:16 pm

So you love Ed Macauley too cos he led to the Russell draft pick? Or Rick Robey for getting us DJ?

Gerald sucks, end of story. Out of the NBA by 2010, book it.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
ramshackle75
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#52 » by ramshackle75 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:39 pm

15th overall wrote:I'll take a humbled Bill Walker throwing down ridiculous dunks in garbage time and looking like he knows why the hell he's on a basketball court over anything Gerald could bring to the table.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#53 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:17 pm

So you love Ed Macauley too cos he led to the Russell draft pick? Or Rick Robey for getting us DJ?

Not only that but if Minnesota considered GG core to the trade they wouldn't have dumped him so quick. You might as well praise Telfair - hey at least they held onto him.

Pete
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#54 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:54 pm

Gerald and Bassy for co-MVP
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#55 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:46 pm

It's pretty pathetic to me that people seem to be rooting for Gerald to fail. I understand that he didn't live up to the lofty expectations in Boston, but I don't see near this kind of hatred for the Telfair's of the world.

Plenty of people have been questioning Gerald's intellect, seeing people like Pete talk about how guys like Bill Walker and Giddens just sound smarter. Let me ask you, has Gerald ever actually said anything thats exceptionally stupid? I'm pretty sure I've heard or read every Gerald quote out there, and aside from the "Aint you ever heard of the Titanic? True story, icebergs" line, the words that come out of his mouth aren't any stupider than what you hear across the NBA. The difference is Gerald has that sort of lisp/stutter, and such makes him sound to you like he's stupid, but he's never really said anything that should lead you to believe such is true.

Gerald took his NBA career for granted. He had everyone around him telling him he was the next this or the next that, and he bought it. His ego got big, he thought he had already arrived and his work ethic diminished, and when things got bad in Minnesota he took things to the other extreme and got down on himself. But all that doesn't mean Gerald can't rededicate himself, all that doesn't mean Gerald can't recognize what he has to get better at, and recognize the amount of work he needs to put in. Once again, JR Smith went through this exact transformation. Everyone said he had a low BBIQ (Pete you mentioned shooting low percentages despite being a good shooter....go look up JR's years with the Hornets), his work ethic was repeatedly questioned, he had all sorts of issues off the court (far worse than Gerald), and he thought he was a superstar while he was with the Hornets. The stat line he put up with the Hornets was near identical to what Gerald put up as a Celtic. Then he got dealt to the Bulls, then passed along to the Nuggets for a 2nd round pick, and JR landed in a situation where all of a sudden he realized the type of work he needed to put in. JR turned his career around, there's absolutely no reason to believe Gerald can't do the same in the right situation. I'm confident Dallas is that situation.

An interview from yesterday with Gerald

I honestly think that I didn’t seize my opportunity. For example, Brandon Bass. He seized his opportunity last year and did an excellent job. Going back to my rookie year, another player is Monte Ellis. That’s what I want to be able to do, just seize my opportunity and go out and do the best I can. Not necessarily go have a blow out game, but just do little by little so that the coach has faith in me. If it doesn’t start out like that at the beginning of the season, then I’m not going to get discouraged. I did get discouraged at other teams because I didn’t get to play. I’m not going to get discouraged on this team. If I don’t get the opportunity to play then it’s going to motivate me to keep working harder, and that’s all I can do.

-Gerald recognizes that he's missed a golden opportunity, and he also recognizes that he can still turn things around if he re-dedicates himself.

MC: You took less money to come here.
GG: I think just the best situation for me. Sometimes it’s not all about money, sometimes it’s about the right situation, the right fit for you. That’s what I felt like I wanted to do.

-Gerald decided to go to a situation that will best help him develop. People want to talk about Gerald being stupid, but this is a pretty wise sounding comment, about a concept lot of players in the league don't seem to grasp. Deciding to go to Dallas shows Gerald's serious about being a player in this league, not just about trying to pick up another paycheck (something Pete's oft referenced Kedrick Brown never would have done).

I feel like I just didn’t take advantage of my opportunities. I blame myself, I don’t blame nobody else. I don’t want to blame no other teams that I’ve been with. I blame myself, that’s where I start off. I don’t want to look at nobody else. I look in the mirror and look at myself and I’ve changed and now I’m a new guy ready to work and ready to get at it.

-Gerald's had his awakening, the light bulb has turned on off the court, it will translate over to the court soon enough.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#56 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:04 pm

^^Not rooting for him to fail...just EXPECTING him to. Big difference!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#57 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:06 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

Not only that but if Minnesota considered GG core to the trade they wouldn't have dumped him so quick. You might as well praise Telfair - hey at least they held onto him.

Pete

Exactly. :thumbsup:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
eloper
Starter

Post#58 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:13 pm

Expecting him to fail is fine....being seemingly happy that he's failed to me is pathetic...and I think there are a lot of people are happy that he's struggled thus far so they can go around saying they were right.

Why is it that people always seem to come out of the woodwork to trash Gerald whenever possible, yet I'm betting when Sebastian Telfair signs his next contract, people won't be doing the same? It's like Gerald's the new Antoine around here.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#59 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:02 pm

GeraldGreen5 wrote:Expecting him to fail is fine....being seemingly happy that he's failed to me is pathetic...and I think there are a lot of people are happy that he's struggled thus far so they can go around saying they were right.

Why is it that people always seem to come out of the woodwork to trash Gerald whenever possible, yet I'm betting when Sebastian Telfair signs his next contract, people won't be doing the same? It's like Gerald's the new Antoine around here.

what is the onsession with G$? It is beyond me.

Yes I do want him on this team for just my own personal entertainment during garbage time. I know he isn't going to develop into a good player. IF that was the case he would have taken those strides by now.
eloper
Starter

Post#60 » by eloper » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:10 pm

bruno sundov wrote:
GeraldGreen5 wrote:Expecting him to fail is fine....being seemingly happy that he's failed to me is pathetic...and I think there are a lot of people are happy that he's struggled thus far so they can go around saying they were right.

what is the onsession with G$? It is beyond me.

Yes I do want him on this team for just my own personal entertainment during garbage time. I know he isn't going to develop into a good player. IF that was the case he would have taken those strides by now.

Because its not like there's ever been any player who's had a struggle their first 3 years and then turned out to be pretty good...

Return to Boston Celtics