ImageImageImage

Possible Ray Allen trade?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Re: Possible Ray Allen trade? 

Post#16 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:56 pm

Things are set up so well for Boston right now. They have a championship team with the starting five locked in for the next two years. The chemistry is great, the mixture of youth and experience is perfect, and the skills of everyone complement each other quite well. Its also an extremely desirable location for free agents for the next two years. Maybe neither of these next two seasons bring another banner, but the C's can go into each season thinking championship.

And then, one by one for the next three years, a max contract comes off the books - giving the team great cap flexibility (and tradeable assets for teams looking for expiring contracts). If this next season goes poorly and you feel like changing things around a year early, Allen's expiring contract will bring plenty of value in return. And if you fail to get a good offer, use the cap space the next year.

Just because this team won a title in its first season of playing together doesn't mean it can happen with every group of players you throw together. A 28-year old Maggette for a 32-year old Allen may seem like an upgrade on paper, but until you see Maggette on the floor with this current team, you don't know for sure what will happen.

I'd rather keep the entire roster in tact (sans Cassell) and put the two rookies in the D-League, but I can't begrudge Posey if he wants to cash in while he has high value. It is a business.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#17 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:57 pm

This thread is all Mike Felger's fault.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#18 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:57 pm

So if I follow correctly, it's not a rumor, but a poster suggested the trade for Yao?
I would do that trade, but it's very unlikely to happen, given the fact that even with his health issues, Yao is now the best center in the NBA. Ray is aging, and Yao probably isn't going to hold up well himself, so you'd probably be trading 2 years of Ray for 2 years of Yao.

Do I want to trade Ray Allen? Only if we can get someone who's an upgrade at C or SG. Like someone else mentioned, he's still probably among the top 5-6 SGs in the league, so there's very few people who can replace him through a trade. At PF/C, who would I trade Ray for? Let's see, Yao, Howard, Kaman, Jefferson, Amare, Oden, Aldridge, and Dalembert if Miller came along with him. There's not too many possible trades out there, and most of those players are considered the futures of their franchises. Why wouldn't I trade for Bynum? He's coming off an injury, and you never trade with your enemies.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by billfromBoston » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:03 pm

....the IQ on this board has taken a serious hit it seems...you your heads people, the team isn't trading Ray Allen--the same player fresh off a NBA Finals dominant performance...the same Allen who is certainly NOT past his ability to play at a star level...the same Allen who just helped Boston to win the Championship...WTF are people thinking?

...Ainge may very well trade Allen, but he isn't going to do it right after a title and certainly not before Allen's deal is set to expire..Allen produced at a high level, got stronger as the season wore on, struggled to adjut to DOUBLE TEAMS, during the Cavs series, and then crushed Detroit and LA in the two most important series of the year....

..get used to Ray, he aint leaving anytime soon...
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#20 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:09 pm

^^Thank you for posting that. **** ****, it seems like all the dopes came out of the woodwork after the Finals, proposing stupid **** to make the team worse...ever heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

There's a huge difference between tweaking and overhauling, and the morons on here seem to want to do the latter...ARRGGHH! :censored:
Egregious Blunder
General Manager

Post#21 » by Egregious Blunder » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:16 pm

i proposed last year and would still be happy about a Ray Allen - Michael Redd swap.

allen has 2 less years on his contract for a rebuilding milwaukee, and ray can go back where he started and is still loved.

we get a guy who can thrive without needing the ball in his hands. hes a better catch and shooter than ray.

Ray Allen
Glen Davis

for

Michael Redd
Charlie Villanueva
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,405

Post#22 » by theman » Wed Jul 2, 2008 8:56 pm

I say we revisit this topic in 18 months.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#23 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:15 pm

Redd isn't as clutch as Ray and just as inept with creation. Even now with Redd in his prime and Ray on the decline.

If Ray were to be traded it'd have to be for a clear upgrade. And there's no way any team is going to make that trade. It'd have to be on teh level of expirings and minor prospect for Gasol trade... except the starting point is Ray.. so I guess a straight swap for Joe Johnson and something. I just don't see a possibility out there for our team to be clearly upgraded to the point where a Ray trade is feasable. We need someone who can shoot just as well from 3 as Ray, has at least a somewhat reputation as a clutch shooter, and can dribble the ball well.. or make up for that with great defense. That's essentially a top 10 win player or in the exception case Joe Johnson.

I just hope Ray brings it for the entire playoffs next year or that we face another one of his rivals in critical games. It was inexcusable that Posey was clearly the better player for the first two rounds when Ray is suppose to be a offensive minded all-star.
celticsfanforlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#24 » by celticsfanforlife » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:31 pm

I was thinking about swapping Ray Allen for Josh Howard and more (third team)...
Howard brings defense (if we lose Posey), is much younger, and his value is at an all time low
...plus Dallas is old as it is with Kidd and their role players
so Ray might make more sense there for a year (his contract is set to expire).
Howard's weed "problem" is nominal..
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#25 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:53 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Thank you for posting that. **** ****, it seems like all the dopes came out of the woodwork after the Finals, proposing stupid **** to make the team worse...ever heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

There's a huge difference between tweaking and overhauling, and the morons on here seem to want to do the latter...ARRGGHH! :censored:

Since when is it good to sit one's laurels.

Yes the team is good, but can it improve by trading a guy on the downside of his career for a younger player? Yes it can. It is not stupid to suggest it. It is stupid to be complacent and assume that a guy in his mid-thirties, who has broken down in the recent past, and having just played 3500 minuets will continue to play at an elite level for the next two years.

I am not saying the team will/should trade Ray Allen for the sake of trading him, but it would be stupid to not entertain trade offers for him.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#26 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:40 am

MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Thank you for posting that. **** ****, it seems like all the dopes came out of the woodwork after the Finals, proposing stupid **** to make the team worse...ever heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Exactly, breaking up this teams core will also kill there confidence and trust in DA, a Ray Ray trade would be just stupid and thats why Ainge wont do it.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#27 » by sully00 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:07 am

I don't know the origin of this ESPN rumor but this is not the first time that this Yao for Ray thing has come up. Obviously it is wild but there is a line of thinking.

If HOU realizes that Yao is just not working for them and they know a certain max salary PF and Texas native who is currently playing in Canada wants to come home in '10. They need to make a move. Because of the huge names moving at that time a couple of more 50 game years out of Yao means they may not be able to move him for expirings at that time.

The game is moving to a perimeter attack and while a nice option the giant big man just does not dominate the same way.

On the Boston side as happy as Ray is to win there has been talk that he is not that happy being a 3rd option with Rondo hard charging at that. That is not changing in Boston. Ray may be more than open to the idea of going to a winning situation were he would have more of a role in the offense.

The GM in Houston is Daryl Morey a former Cetlic exec. Who may be looking at Perk, another Texan, as a 4 mil defensive minded starting center to put next to Bosh in two years.

It is a long shot, and longer than that, but you have to admit the idea of having Rondo/Pierce/KG/Yao with say Corey Maggette would kind of be an upgrade no?
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#28 » by threrf23 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:24 am

If faced with the opportunity to swap Ray/Perk for Yao, yes you must do that IMO (Yao can easily be a top 10 player in the league, and then you must consider the fact that Yao brings our ownership a lot of fan-based revenue that it does not get without him). Ray Allen straight up for Josh Howard, is something I would at least consider too, because its not typically easy to land a younger vet that good - I'm not sure completely whether I pull the trigger though a trade has to be more than just slightly in our favor, IMO, to justify breaking up chemistry..
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#29 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:30 am

crazy talk. Pierce, Garnett, Allen, and Rondo are virtually untouchable. In the NBA, is just impractical to break up the core of a championship team.

I'm not saying we wouldn't trade Allen for Redd or Yao or whatever is proposed in fantasy world, but unless i'm just dead wrong, i see ZERO reason for Allen to be on the block (therefore he is not). Those conversations wouldn't even happen. There is no catalyst. Allen is going to be a celtic. Any rumor otherwise HAS to be unsubstantiated.

Basically my point is this...
I'll bet Danny will listen to any offer for any player, but he certainly is NOT shopping Allen.
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#30 » by 3pt % » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:36 am

Ray had a slump with some very serious personal life stuff going on.

He then came back and blew the **** roof off with a NBA finals record for 3's made during a series. He didn't just get hot for a game, he got hot for the whole finals series.

Jesus shuttlesworth is still an all-star and a great player.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#31 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:58 pm

Egregious Blunder wrote:i proposed last year and would still be happy about a Ray Allen - Michael Redd swap.

allen has 2 less years on his contract for a rebuilding milwaukee, and ray can go back where he started and is still loved.

we get a guy who can thrive without needing the ball in his hands. hes a better catch and shooter than ray.

Ray Allen
Glen Davis

for

Michael Redd
Charlie Villanueva

Redd is Ray without a jumper as sweet and all the other stuff Ray did really well this year (driving to the hoop, defense, rebounding). Sounds like a great deal to me! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
nyhuskyfan
Senior
And1: 127

Post#32 » by nyhuskyfan » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:15 pm

Ray was fine offensively in the Atlanta series for the first 5 3/4 games (he stuggled defending Joe Johnson, though). He was 5-8 on threes in both Game 4 and Game 5. When PP fouled out in game 6, Ray was 8-14 from the floor, but then he missed badly down the stretch, going 0-5 in the last three minutes (including a go-ahead three attempt with 10 seconds left). Normally, I don't think he's the type to let a few missed shots shake him, but maybe it did hurt his confidence a bit, and he didn't shoot well in the Game 7 blowout to get back on track.

Cleveland was a disaster for Ray. They game-planned to stop him right from Game 1 (he only got four shots) and then a combination of Cleveland's defensive strategy and probably some confidence issues made that a tough two-week stretch for him.

But I think the Cleveland series should be viewed as an outlier. He showed that it wasn't a case of him being worn down (he played 48 minutes in Game 4 against LA). I also think this theme that he only played well against against Rip and Kobe because of personal rivalries doesn't hold water. When he was playing Cleveland, he was going up against the guys (Szcerbiak and West) that he was traded for, which always motivates athletes. I'm sure he would have loved to have torched them to prove a point to the folks in Seattle, but the opposite happened for him. Fortunately for him, his teammates picked him up and he got a chance to redeem himself.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#33 » by Truthiracy » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:04 pm

Trade Pierce and filler for Mike Miller
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#34 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:17 pm

LucerneStDoggz wrote:Trade Pierce and filler for Mike Miller

KG and Powe for Camby...cos, you know, KG isn't clutch... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#35 » by canman1971 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:23 pm

Trade board anyone. Too much bad crap being started lately. Just going to start locking them.

Return to Boston Celtics