ImageImageImage

Posey to Lakers?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Posey to Lakers? 

Post#1 » by RickyDizzle » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:47 pm

Per hoopsworld's morning report:

"Posey And The C's : The Celtics are denying that they made an offer to Corey Maggette, they are not denying contact with Maggette, who has already confirmed discussions with the Celtics. Why are the C's distancing themselves from Maggette? It did not sit well with James Posey, who was labeled the Celtics top off-season priority. The Celtics did make an offer to Posey that was far less than the full boat median exception he has been offered from other teams, leaving Posey feeling unwanted. Add the Maggette commentary and Posey wants to talk with other teams. Sources close to the situation content that James Posey would love to be a Laker and that the Lakers are willing to go the full exception to land him. The Hornets are also expressing interest as are the Cavaliers and Rockets, giving Posey a number of suitors who are offering longer-term deals. The Celtics still hold the best trump card of them all, the chance at another NBA championship, but Posey's camp has been pretty adamant that James wants and deserves a full exception deal, unless Boston comes off the stance of not offering that, Posey could be gone. "

I dont like this at all. Offering a contract to Maggette is still okay in my book, but they should've offered the full midlevel to both therefore almost guarenteeing that we at least get Posey back...if this is true it looks like we'll get neither and the spurs and lakers will both get significantly better....ugggh

Dizzy
TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Re: Posey to Lakers? 

Post#2 » by TommyPoints » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:55 pm

The sound of things has been disappointing, but I'm not going to freak out until we see what happens. The idea is to get BETTER after the first year though.
MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by MoBSTa » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:06 pm

Well I believe Posey is gone, I really don't see Danny making an offer above the Lakers, If James want's to play for the Laker Org. I think that is what he should do.

But I don't see anyone that try's to use the Lakers Org. against the Celtic's Org. in a green uniform the following year.

Good Luck to James, however I don't see him getting his starting gig in L.A. ither.
Though maybe Kobe and Phil's Zen and Triangle will be exactly what Posey and the Laker's need.

As for the Meggette Offer, The Celtic's have denied the offer. But did say they have been in contact with him.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#4 » by meatball sub » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:16 pm

Well James would definitely knows how to piss off a fanbase if he joins the Lakers. I don't mind him wanting to get paid, he did afterall take a discount to win #17 with us. With that said, going to the Lakers when there are many teams offering him the MLE would really "grind my gears". At this point, Posey signing anywhere but LA is fine with me. He's a legend in Boston right now, the missing piece we never had to search for because we got him right from the get-go. If he goes to the Lakers he'll be cursed almost as much as Johnny Damon.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#5 » by canman1971 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:17 pm

It is called negotiations. This means nothing. Going into free agency, everyone knew Posey could leave and I don't think anyone feels it is a good idea to give him a 4-5 year deal at the full MLE. That is not good business or basketball sense.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#6 » by Tricky Ricky » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:36 pm

In Danny I Trust
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#7 » by Truthiracy » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:51 pm

Are we seeing James Damon in action? I hope not, we'll see, I just trust in Danny too much. If Posey leaves, somehow I feel we'll land someone better.
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#8 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:13 pm

Posey won't make the Lakers that much better, should he defect to them. They still won't come out of the West next year, even with Kareem Abdul-JaBYNUM Chamberlain playing.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#9 » by RickyDizzle » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:31 pm

I disagree that he doesnt make them that much better.

What did they lack? Toughness and defense. What does Posey provide? Toughness and defense. Plus he spreads the floor and opens the lane up for Kobe by being a scoring threat on the perimeter (3 pt shooting).

I too am tired of everyone overhyping Bynum as the savior, but the kid was playing out of control before he got hurt, plus he adds more size and toughness (which they need).

In my opinion things change dramatically in this past playoffs if instead of us having Posey on Kobe, they have him on Pierce, instead of Odom and Gasol at the 4 and 5 guarding Perk and KG, they have Bynum and Gasol...2 legit 7 footers (or close anyway).

Its a tougher team with a greatly improved ability to D up, plus if James starts that pushes back Sasha or someone to bring offense of the bench.

If Bynum is healthy and they have Posey instead of us, we would have a very very tough time competing with the Lakers.

-Dizzy

Note: I guess you also have to consider that we will get someone else if we dont get Posey, so its not fair to just subtract him frm our team and add him to theirs...but still, I have my doubts on how we'll fill out the bench if we cant get either Magette or Posey
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,760

Post#10 » by Triple M » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:33 pm

I don't trust anything coming from Hoopsworld
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#11 » by Truthiracy » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:37 pm

I just realized it was a Hoopsworld report... that's as reliable as Hoopshype, nothing to worry about!
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#12 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:23 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:I disagree that he doesnt make them that much better.

What did they lack? Toughness and defense. What does Posey provide? Toughness and defense. Plus he spreads the floor and opens the lane up for Kobe by being a scoring threat on the perimeter (3 pt shooting).

I too am tired of everyone overhyping Bynum as the savior, but the kid was playing out of control before he got hurt, plus he adds more size and toughness (which they need).

In my opinion things change dramatically in this past playoffs if instead of us having Posey on Kobe, they have him on Pierce, instead of Odom and Gasol at the 4 and 5 guarding Perk and KG, they have Bynum and Gasol...2 legit 7 footers (or close anyway).

Its a tougher team with a greatly improved ability to D up, plus if James starts that pushes back Sasha or someone to bring offense of the bench.

If Bynum is healthy and they have Posey instead of us, we would have a very very tough
time competing with the Lakers.

-Dizzy

Note: I guess you also have to consider that we will get someone else if we dont get Posey, so its not fair to just subtract him frm our team and add him to theirs...but still, I have my doubts on how we'll fill out the bench if we cant get either Magette or Posey

Dude, one guy, a SF at that, is going to bring toughness and defense to the whole team? HE'D BE THE ONLY GUY DOING THAT! Or one of two, if JaBYNUM continues on his sure-fire HOF career path. I disagree, is what I guess I'm saying!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#13 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 3, 2008 4:32 pm

That's why the C's need to add guys like Corey or Zo. The Lakers will make changes for the better just like the C's are trying too. I am glad Danny isn't overreacting. You don't want to get into a bidding war for Posey. He was a huge player for us but he is still Posey - and FWIW Pierce could score on him.

Pete
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#14 » by humblebum » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:16 pm

Honestly, even with Posey and Bynum I still believe that the Celtics could beat the Lakers. Rondo is going to be an All-Star type PG next season and he'll be playing under much less pressure. I'm confident that the C's are also going to benefit from an improved Leon Powe and Glen Davis next season, especially Glen. If the C's lose Posey, they aren't simply going to sit on their hands... they're gonna try to improve their team. I'm confident that Ainge will be able to do just that.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:22 pm

Ha, if Rondo is close to all-star level PG next season IN the playoffs I guess it won't really matter.

Posey and Magz are first options. Posey is a likely dream. If Ainge feels like he needs the MLE more then Posey then I can't really blame him. Personally I'm about 60/40 on it in favor of bringing Posey back. If it's not Posey then we'll get anythony Johnson or Ricky Davis or kwame Brown. Some other good backup player that will help us.. maybe 2.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#16 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:28 pm

Why does anyone think KG would put up with Ricky's insanity or Kwame's not giving a ****...?

Y'all are nuts if you'd be OK with those guys over Posey.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#17 » by armageddon » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:40 pm

I'm not too concerned. I also feel that Posey would not make the Lakers any better. They already have similar bench players that fill the same roles. Also Posey will not be playing for a contract so take that for what its worth.
I'd love to have him back but for the same money, give me Maggette.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by PPAW4Life » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:18 pm

Forget what Posey does basketball wise, the guy is a great chemistry/locker room guy.

We can not let him bolt to the Lakers.

Ainge doesn't want to be the next Pat Riley....does he?

Pay the man his money....he took a pay cut to help us win #17.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by SonicYouth34 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 10:39 pm

Posey was a Celtic, and once you put on the green you automatically hate purple and yellow...
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
Celtics! Horah!
1,2,3 Ubuntu.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#20 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 12:16 am

fans and players are not one and the same
and with posey only being here 1 year, and already having 2 rings , im sure he doesnt feel obligiated to hate the lakers
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell

Return to Boston Celtics