ImageImageImage

Posey to Lakers?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Chief
Senior
And1: 1

Re: Posey to Lakers? 

Post#41 » by Chief » Sun Jul 6, 2008 3:08 am

dsorc wrote:
Chief wrote:Its funny how a stupid contract like the one given out to Veal comes back to haunt a team later on when they need money to spend on good players.

Right, because if he wasn't here we'd be under the cap. It's not like we have three players earning close to 20 million a year, right. Oh wait! :roll:

Thats right you have to pay top dollar if you want stars , then you surround them with cheap talent ..

The emphasis at cheap , with 3 million Danny bought our own towel waving mateen cleaves.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#42 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:12 pm

TheCelticTruth wrote:whats with the scal hate? if posey wasnt here this year, who is to say scal couldnt have given us much of what he did? just because before this year we played scal too many minutes and wanted him to be a key guy in the rotation doesnt mean he is worthless. scal could very well be among the better players who didnt step on the floor for a playoff team this postseason.

Please tell me you're kidding... :o
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#43 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:47 pm

I think it is time for everyone to face that Posey's agent may have made a mistake in opting out. He did not see the big name FA's opting out of huge one year salaries they could not match in exchange for long term security. That is why Bartelstien is pissed he thought he had leverage he doesn't have and once Maggette signs for the MLE no team is going to want to give the same money to half the player. On top of that there is a ton of restricted FA's who are likely trapped in the same financial situation as Maggette. They either take their one year QO and try next year when long term money may be even tighter or they try and find a team to give the full MLE on an offer sheet and either get out that way or force their team to match.

Lots of teams want James Posey they just want to pay him what he is worth.

I don't really understand how Sasha and Turiaf affect the Lakers signing Posey besides the luxury tax and the fact that already have two guys making big money to back up the 3 and the 4.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#44 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jul 7, 2008 7:21 pm

Sully I agree. Posey is great, no doubt. But no team in its right mind should pay him $6mil for 5 years...no way.

He has a good thing here...would it have killed him to stay for the one more year at 3 mil or whatever it was and win another ring...THEN go get the payday? I'm so sick of hearing people say "he should take the money, he needs to take care of his family, etc" about pro athletes. I guarantee you if you gave me $1mil ONCE, I could live off of it easily for the rest of my life.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#45 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 7, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't blame James for opting out and trying to make more money. He is on the back nine of his career, I just don't think that there is more money out there for him. Who he is hasn't changed from two years ago, last year to now.

What the hell kind of GM are you if you didn't think he was worth 3.5 mil last season but you think he is worth 5.8 mil this season?
Black Sheep
Junior
And1: 0

Post#46 » by Black Sheep » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:54 pm

posey to LA
do it mitchell!

Return to Boston Celtics