ImageImageImage

Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire? 

Post#1 » by campybatman » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:47 pm

Either Miles wants to play basketball or he needs the money. Because however you feel about him, the caveat that keeps sticking out to me is when I read he has a career ending knee injury. Career ending implies your career is over. Sort of tough to get a second opinion on that.

Even though an independent doctor has deemed Miles' right knee injury career ending and even though he recently violated the NBA's Anti-Drug program, the former Blazers forward is actively looking for work -- and, evidently, he's making some headway.

According to the Boston Globe, Miles recently worked out for the World Champion Boston Celtics and had an "impressive" showing. From the story:

"An NBA source said the Celtics surprisingly worked out Blazers free agent small forward Darius Miles yesterday and he had an impressive workout. Miles missed last season while recovering from knee surgery."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazer ... _what.html
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire? 

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:50 pm

weed dont buy itself
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:06 am

True. But, why workout for Boston. Oh, wait... That joke writes itself.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:09 am

Signing him for the minimum would be a great way to flip the bird to the Blazers.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#5 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:23 am

Are you reading the article? The word impressive is used twice. If he is still giving good workouts, why retire?
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,160

Post#6 » by chakdaddy » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:11 am

I saw an article talking about how if he signs, the insurance is voided, screwing up the Blazer's cap - but why should the career-ending thing have anything to do with their cap? I thought he should count against the cap like Reggie Lewis, and that the retirement or medical retirement would just clear him from luxury tax implications.

- Actually, I guess he is cleared from the cap because it has been over a year since his injury. Nontheless, I still think journalists are AWFULLY sloppy about salary cap implications vs. luxury tax implications; renouncing a FA vs not making a qualifying offer; stuff like that.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#7 » by Truthiracy » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:28 am

greenbeans wrote:weed dont buy itself

+1
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:44 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Are you reading the article? The word impressive is used twice. If he is still giving good workouts, why retire?

You're paid a NBA contract for what you can do in a real time game and not what you're able to do during a controlled workout.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#9 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:26 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:Are you reading the article? The word impressive is used twice. If he is still giving good workouts, why retire?

You're paid a NBA contract for what you can do in a real time game and not what you're able to do during a controlled workout.

No.

How are rookies getting these big contracts then? How are NBA vets who have been out of the league being able to comeback to the nba?

It seems like you don't want Miles on this team. And I agree, me either. But just because he has been a bust riddled with injuries does not meant he doesn't deserve a second chance. And if that second chances are workouts with pro teams, and he is capitalizing on them, then why should he retire?
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#10 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:30 am

bonsaiflipflops wrote:

no one is disputing that, but when was the last time anyone said anything about darius miles being impressive on a basketball court?

no one went so far as to call any of these young scrub big men, that everyone is so eager for us to sign one of, impressive in their workouts.

look, im not going so far as to say sign darius miles if you think he can play, but, what if he could? none of these others players were ever blue chip draft prospects, or even had any NBA success.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#11 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:33 am

Maybe because he actually likes playing the game of basketball?

He only had one Doctor evaluate his knee, perhaps the Celtics' Doctors don't consider it to be career ending. It may be that the NBA, who chooses the Doctors for the evaluation, wanted to help out the Blazers by getting Miles off from their payroll. They will be able to potentially sign a very big free agent next year, with Raef, and Steve Francis, coming off the books. There's nobody else on that team with a big contract atm. If Miles were to find a team to sign him this year, the Blazers have to pay $18M, 9M to Miles, and 9M to the NBA because of the luxury tax. Next year they'll be under the cap either way, but if Miles is on the books, the free agents they can go after won't be of the same quality. So maybe Miles is trying to get back at people in Portland by hitting them in the pocket books.

IF he is in fact reasonably healthy, and his head is screwed on straight, he could be a great guy to have off the bench. Miles has always been a very good defender and as a bonus has the ability to score as well. Yes he has personality problems, but if you are a good player, attitude problems can be forgiven. If you're Chris Andersen, or David Harrison OTOH, I don't give you as much leeway. The best part of signing Miles would be that he would not care what his salary is, since he'll still gets 9M from the Blazers.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#12 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:42 am

In Danny Ainge we trust. James Posey was treated like a bad guy before coming to Boston.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#13 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:57 am

If we sign this guy to a non guaranteed vet minimum deal and play him 10 times it completely jams up a team that will be gunning for us in a year or two. In all things that are Red Auerbach we have to do this if it makes any sense at all.

Beyond that he is only 26 years old and at times he has actually been a usefull friggin NBA player. Tony Allen is 26 and Giddens is 23 and there rap sheet of dumb **** has to be at least as long. I have hated on the guy and his contract was ridiculous but it seems like POR tried to run him out of the game and if he can find himself in Boston so be it.

Curmedgeon will be thrilled.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#14 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:29 am

If he's healthy, Miles probably still can't shoot but he's long, athletic, a solid defender. You'd have to hope that time and the influence of a winning environment could help him to mature. Give him two years guaranteed and a team option for the third.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#15 » by buckner1976 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:53 am

Rocky5000 wrote:Maybe because he actually likes playing the game of basketball?

He only had one Doctor evaluate his knee, perhaps the Celtics' Doctors don't consider it to be career ending. It may be that the NBA, who chooses the Doctors for the evaluation, wanted to help out the Blazers by getting Miles off from their payroll. They will be able to potentially sign a very big free agent next year, with Raef, and Steve Francis, coming off the books. There's nobody else on that team with a big contract atm. If Miles were to find a team to sign him this year, the Blazers have to pay $18M, 9M to Miles, and 9M to the NBA because of the luxury tax. Next year they'll be under the cap either way, but if Miles is on the books, the free agents they can go after won't be of the same quality. So maybe Miles is trying to get back at people in Portland by hitting them in the pocket books.

IF he is in fact reasonably healthy, and his head is screwed on straight, he could be a great guy to have off the bench. Miles has always been a very good defender and as a bonus has the ability to score as well. Yes he has personality problems, but if you are a good player, attitude problems can be forgiven. If you're Chris Andersen, or David Harrison OTOH, I don't give you as much leeway. The best part of signing Miles would be that he would not care what his salary is, since he'll still gets 9M from the Blazers.

not sure i understand this. werent both andersen AND miles guys that violated the substance abuse policy?? both have skill. why does miles get the leeway while andersen doesnt?

either way ill defer to danny on this one. as others have said, if the kid has his act together and WANTS to be a part of a team trying to win a championship again hes worth a flyer. he obviously has to earn his way in and right now id put him behind even giddens and pruitt in terms of role with the team until i see otherwise.

that said, hypothetically speaking, were we to bring this kid on AND andersen(which i think IS gonna happen), add that to our draft picks and we may have to install runway lights along the key. imagine if you will a lineup of rondo/giddens/miles/kg/andersen jesus who gets the alley? do they take turns or is it whoever beats their man first?
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#16 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:32 am

chakdaddy wrote:I saw an article talking about how if he signs, the insurance is voided, screwing up the Blazer's cap - but why should the career-ending thing have anything to do with their cap? I thought he should count against the cap like Reggie Lewis, and that the retirement or medical retirement would just clear him from luxury tax implications.

- Actually, I guess he is cleared from the cap because it has been over a year since his injury. Nontheless, I still think journalists are AWFULLY sloppy about salary cap implications vs. luxury tax implications; renouncing a FA vs not making a qualifying offer; stuff like that.

No, with a doctor's approval (AKA if an injury is declared career-ending), the player's salary completely comes off of a team's cap. From my understanding, if he plays 10 games, his salary comes back on the Blazers' cap since he'd be seen as healthy in the eyes of the NBA, but that seems highly unlikely since the doctor who examined Miles's knee called his injury the worst he had seen.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:33 am

I would go with Mickael Pietrus if Posey becomes no longer an option. He isn't suppose to be that great of a shooter either, but at least there won't be a huge drop-off defensively at Posey's position, small forward, if you replace him with Pietrus. A good point was made in an article I'd read. Basically, the teams that lose out on getting Posey will go after Pietrus.

For those that prefer to contradict a comment I'd made... Did anyone of you attend the workout deem an "impressive" showing in Boston? I'm just curious... Because I missed the invite. Because in the article I'd read it notes that it was a NBA source and not a Celtics official who'd made that assertion that Miles looked impressive. I reckon some of you glossed over that second to last paragraph. That reads...

To be sure, one workout does not lock a comeback. No player has ever returned to the NBA after suffering a career-ending injury and the 10-game suspension Miles faces for violating the league's Anti-Drug program could be a deterrent for prospective teams.

I think Ainge's reaching more than a tad by bringing in Darius Miles for a look and expressing an interest in Shaun Livingston when both players sustain what's widely viewed as possible career ending leg injuries. Perhaps, you can stash a still quite young Livingston. However, the Boston fans' interest in Miles, in some cases, simply to mess with Portland is nonsensical. Portland acquired the draft rights for Roy from Minnesota. Ainge traded that sixth pick in a trade involving Telfair. So, you're getting back at Portland because... Why?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#18 » by 15th overall » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:47 am

buckner1976 wrote:
not sure i understand this. werent both andersen AND miles guys that violated the substance abuse policy?? both have skill. why does miles get the leeway while andersen doesnt?

The term "substance" is about as vague as they come.

Miles was suspended for taking a few too many bong hits. The birdman got the boot for a year for using an unnamed substance (I forget the drugs this counts out besides weed and coke); I'm guessing it was either an opiate, codeine, or meth.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#19 » by mr_sunshine » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:30 am

Oden2 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:I saw an article talking about how if he signs, the insurance is voided, screwing up the Blazer's cap - but why should the career-ending thing have anything to do with their cap? I thought he should count against the cap like Reggie Lewis, and that the retirement or medical retirement would just clear him from luxury tax implications.

No, with a doctor's approval (AKA if an injury is declared career-ending), the player's salary completely comes off of a team's cap. From my understanding, if he plays 10 games, his salary comes back on the Blazers' cap since he'd be seen as healthy in the eyes of the NBA, but that seems highly unlikely since the doctor who examined Miles's knee called his injury the worst he had seen.

And Reggie Lewis remained on the cap after he passed away. That's about as career ending as it comes sir. :nonono:
P2
Banned User

Post#20 » by P2 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:13 am

If a source say Miles had an impressive workout, then he's able to play. He was cleared for full contact drills in January 2008, and if he was impressive in our workout, I would definitely sign him to a minimum contract and see what we get from him. Low risk, high reward.

Return to Boston Celtics