ImageImageImage

Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Re: Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire? 

Post#106 » by Pogue Mahone » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:16 pm

You know, sometimes a player does one thing really well and, for some reason or another, they get a reputation as being "well-rounded" or a "good all-around" player. It becomes to the point that after hearing all the accolades, you are no longer talking about the same player and instead the player no longer has warts or anything.

Conversely, I think the same thing happens to players who struggle in one area of the game or who have had problems with injuries, discipline, what have you.

I think Miles falls into the second grouping. When he was first coming into the league, Miles had DPOY type ability in my opinion. He could pass, dribble extremely well for his size and, as I stated, the ability and athleticism were there to make a huge defensive impact, as well. He wasn't a good shooter and he needed good coaching to harness his gifts. He never received that while with the Clippership or Cavs.

I can understand the rationale for running the offense through Miles as a point forward-type. Boris Diaw was doing the same thing for Phoenix. In fact, I think Diaw and Miles are very similar, to be honest. I would give the nod to Miles as the superior player assuming he is 100% healthy because not only is he a good individual defender, he is a defensive catalyst and big time disruptor. Think Rajon Rondo at the SF-PF position. If utilized correctly, that would be a hell of a player to have coming off your bench because in some respects, Miles is a mini-Garnett on the defensive end.

I say, if healthy, Miles is not only a good replacement for Posey, he is an upgrade. Sure, you lose the three point shooting of Posey but Miles can go and get you the ball on the defensive end, is much better at involving teammates via the pass and is a big time disruptor on both his man and his teammates' covers.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#107 » by Rocky5000 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:52 am

You're not going to believe what the drug was that got him the 10 game suspension.
Weed? No
HGH? No
Roids? No
Phentermine? YES

Sources say all 30 teams were notified this week by league memorandum that the drug which earned Portland Trail Blazers castoff Darius Miles a 10-game suspension to start next season -- if Miles can find a job -- is the appetite suppressant Phentermine.

A weight-loss drug, basically.

Miles was just taking something to help him drop some el-bees quickly. Not anything to make him rapidly heal, not anything recreational, but a weight-loss pill. So if the "drug-issue" was holding anyone up, you should now know that's it's absolutely no big deal.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... tes-080719

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine

It's an FDA approved drug, and it's really pushing it to consider it a PED, IMO. All it does is keep you from overeating.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#108 » by campybatman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 am

Pogue Mahone wrote:I say, if healthy, Miles is not only a good replacement for Posey, he is an upgrade. Sure, you lose the three point shooting of Posey but Miles can go and get you the ball on the defensive end, is much better at involving teammates via the pass and is a big time disruptor on both his man and his teammates' covers.

Really? You really believe that? You obviously have more confidence in Miles today then most people who don't share your high opinion. I think people readily lose sight of what Posey meant to his teammates and not so much what he'd done and didn't do statistically. The hugs and motivation Posey gave to the starters alone was significant. A player like that is a player that helps keep teammates together and focused. Again, what has Miles done over his career? What has Posey done this season? I know what Posey has done... Help the Celtics win a NBA title. His clutch shooting and key defensive plays were immense during both the regular season and throughout the post season. Every high opinion of Miles seems to be based solely on his potential or it's based on the wishful thinkings of Celtics fans intrigued by a player that has done nothing in his time in the NBA.

You've to look at Miles as a player right now and not based your argument on what he was capable of doing in the past. Who knows how bad his skills have deteriorated from not playing and from being out of shape.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach

Post#109 » by Pogue Mahone » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:39 am

I read that when James Posey cries -- yeah right, he would never cry -- but if he did shed even a single tear, he would cry Jelly Belly jellybeans. And not the buttered popcorn type. He is just that great of a player.

In fact, James Posey is so good that he is the reigning MVP of intergalactic man hugs. I mean, how can you argue with those intangibles?

One time James Posey had a small pebble in his shoe. He was very angry and tossed it all the way to Australia. Wouldn't you know it, that simple act formed Ayers Rock. He is truly a spectactular, magnificent, extraordinary player of ginormous proportions and never ending skill. All praise the Pos.

James Posey has quickly become the Derek Jeter of Celtic-Nation. Please, someone stop the flippin' insanity.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#110 » by greenbeans » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:34 am

Pogue Mahone wrote:I read that when James Posey cries -- yeah right, he would never cry -- but if he did shed even a single tear, he would cry Jelly Belly jellybeans. And not the buttered popcorn type. He is just that great of a player.

In fact, James Posey is so good that he is the reigning MVP of intergalactic man hugs. I mean, how can you argue with those intangibles?

One time James Posey had a small pebble in his shoe. He was very angry and tossed it all the way to Australia. Wouldn't you know it, that simple act formed Ayers Rock. He is truly a spectactular, magnificent, extraordinary player of ginormous proportions and never ending skill. All praise the Pos.

James Posey has quickly become the Derek Jeter of Celtic-Nation. Please, someone stop the flippin' insanity.

lolololololol. . . . . . bless you!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#111 » by GuyClinch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:33 pm

The hugs and motivation Posey gave to the starters alone was significant.

^^^^ Classic comedy. This is why I read this board. Hugs. Your actually using that in your argument? LMAO. I hear Doc Rivers has them watching the carebears before the game...
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#112 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:You're not going to believe what the drug was that got him the 10 game suspension.
Weed? No
HGH? No
Roids? No
Phentermine? YES

Sources say all 30 teams were notified this week by league memorandum that the drug which earned Portland Trail Blazers castoff Darius Miles a 10-game suspension to start next season -- if Miles can find a job -- is the appetite suppressant Phentermine.

Miles was just taking something to help him drop some el-bees quickly. Not anything to make him rapidly heal, not anything recreational, but a weight-loss pill. So if the "drug-issue" was holding anyone up, you should now know that's it's absolutely no big deal.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... tes-080719

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine

It's an FDA approved drug, and it's really pushing it to consider it a PED, IMO. All it does is keep you from overeating.

Now I actually feel better about signing him. he is still not at the top of my list.
SeizeCoup
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#113 » by SeizeCoup » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:57 pm

LOL @ Weight-loss pills! They are dangerous though, don't do them.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by campybatman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:20 pm

No, thanks. The Celtics don't need the negative publicity. People were mixed on Rodney Harrison because he was already a member of the Patriots when the news broke he'd used HGH. Subsequently, he was suspended. Miles isn't even signed with a new team yet, and he's already creating controversy. How are you suppose to take him seriously or trust him for that matter?

The bigger obstacles for the longtime Stein Line favorite -- we've never denied that Miles has repeatedly seduced us with his potential, versatility and length -- will be convincing teams that his right knee can withstand a comeback. He also first has to properly lose the needed weight for a return to basketball shape.

Reports from those who have seen his workouts to date so far are mixed, ranging from claims that he'll be in the league for sure next season as a bargain-priced, irresistible reclamation project that has something left to suggestions that Miles' explosion is shot after undergoing the microfracture knee surgery dreaded by NBA players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... tes-080719
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#115 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 am

Rocky5000 wrote:Paul and Ray have both admitted that they weren't as committed to defense in the past as they were this year. Defense became the primary focus of the team this year, and both guys took it upon themselves to work harder on defense. I think it shows up pretty clearly in their play from the past year. In the past, Paul would always try to outscore the other guy, rather than guard them. When Paul was younger he was much more committed on defense, it was never a question of ability, but more of commitment. --I think Miles had a similar waning in defensive effort, but like Paul the talent is still there.

No Mile is completely different then Paul. What Miles has done is never played D on bad teams. Paul used to play D on bad teams until he thought hw should just score to keep his team in the game. Please don't compare the 2.
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach

Post#116 » by Pogue Mahone » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:37 pm

bruno sundov wrote:No Mile is completely different then Paul. What Miles has done is never played D on bad teams.

I don't believe that to be true. Don't confuse Miles offensive suck with his defense. They are not mutually exclusive events. Miles, despite playing on bad defensive teams, has always been at least one of the top two defenders on each team. Which, to some, may be damning with faint praise but whatever.

Was Rajon Rondo a poor defender two years ago during the losing streak? Was The Jefferson a defensive beast just because his offense was advanced for his age? The answer is no and no.

Miles has always been a talented defender who was miscast in his role. He is an uber-freak athletically (when healthy) and for whatever reason, he was put into the role of scorer. That doesn't match his skill-set, imo. He can be an offensive catalyst in the mold of a Boris Diaw. While each is limited offensively by their inability to hit the outside shot, both are talented enough to take defenders off the dribble, provide both offensive and defensive versatility and utilize the pass to set-up teammates for baskets.

If that doesn't scream "valuable bench piece/occasional starter", I don't know what does.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#117 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:21 pm

^^^ The only issue with Miles I think is his health..not his game.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#118 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:22 pm

It looks like he is gonna be our 15th player.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#119 » by meatball sub » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:28 pm

He is?
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#120 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Oh I don't know. Ainge liked him in the workout. We have one spot left.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#121 » by campybatman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm

With all the names at small forward in free agency more and more coming off the table. I wouldn't be surprised if Miles is signed now. I'm not in favor of this signing, but what's left out there? Not a whole lot now that Barnes is no longer an option. Rats, I hate when you've to settle and I feel like Ainge is settling here. But, of course, he'll proclaim that Miles was "his guy" from the start. Which I won't buy.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#122 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 pm

Give me Bonzi wells over this kid. You know exactly what you are getting with Bonzi. Man I bet that 5yr $35 mill from sacramento looks good now Bonzi.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#123 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:17 am

More on Miles...

The Trail Blazers, specifically General Manager Kevin Pritchard, may be in violation of federal regulations in regard to public comments about the medical condition of former player Darius Miles.

Miles underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee and has not played since April 15, 2006. After a long rehabilitation period, the team first ruled him unfit to play and then sought an independent physician’s examination of the knee. That physician ruled Miles’ injury was career ending – which was important to the Blazers on two fronts that have to do with finances.

First, the $18 million over two seasons left on Miles contract would not count against the team’s salary cap.

Second, insurance would cover much of the cost of Miles’ remaining salary.

The problem for Pritchard and the Blazers is that those statements could be a violation of the privacy provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Availability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Since the HIPAA privacy rule went into effect on April 14, 2003, pro and college teams in all sports have been very reluctant to reveal specific details of player injuries without the permission of the player.

Miles’ agent, Jeffrey Wechsler, refused comment. It is believed nothing will come of this if Miles lands a job with another NBA team. And it’s likely he will, given that teams will need to pay him only the minimum salary and, in spite of the local perception of his character, many of his former teammates and coaches believe him to be relatively harmless to team harmony.

However, if he does not sign with another team, there is an expectation that Miles could file a grievance with the league and also file a suit against the Blazers for attempting to restrict the player’s ability to find a job.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/sto ... 3261551200
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#124 » by buckner1976 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 am

todays globe says were supposedly still interested:

" Bits and pieces: An NBA source said the Celtics remain interested in free agent forward Darius Miles, who hasn't played the last two seasons because of a knee injury . . ."

i still wonder just how healthy he is and how ready he is for anything even resembling serious minutes.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#125 » by Truthiracy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Sign Bonzi before you sign this bum Miles.. can he contribute in any positive way? Highly doubtful.
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3

Return to Boston Celtics