ImageImageImage

Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire?

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Re: Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire? 

Post#21 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:17 am

The OP is wrong. Doctor's make a bad diagnosis now and then.. I am not a huge Miles fan but if he wants to play he can surely try. <g>
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#22 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:34 am

I would say he should retire because, when he was able to play he didn't really seem to give a ****!!

Now all of a sudden the pain in the knee is going away and he wants to play for PHO or BOS. Screw him. I think he would be a great talent off the bench. I just don't think he wants to be.
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#23 » by Celtics_85 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 11:45 am

Could Ainge be as good a GM as he is if he doesn't investigate all avenues available out there?
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,182

Post#24 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:59 pm

Celtics_85 wrote:Could Ainge be as good a GM as he is if he doesn't investigate all avenues available out there?

+1, and I'd have to add that with no cap room investigating these "low risk/high reward" players is especially important. I've never been a Miles fan either (has anyone?), but if he looks like he can still play and takes a short vet-min deal to prove it, well, no brainer. The old saying goes "everyone deserves a second chance," but in the sports that's not true. Deserves got nothing to do with it, you have to earn your chances in sports, and if Miles can do that then good luck to him. I can't freakin believe he's still only 26.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#25 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:05 pm

chakdaddy wrote:I saw an article talking about how if he signs, the insurance is voided, screwing up the Blazer's cap - but why should the career-ending thing have anything to do with their cap? I thought he should count against the cap like Reggie Lewis, and that the retirement or medical retirement would just clear him from luxury tax implications.

- Actually, I guess he is cleared from the cap because it has been over a year since his injury. Nontheless, I still think journalists are AWFULLY sloppy about salary cap implications vs. luxury tax implications; renouncing a FA vs not making a qualifying offer; stuff like that.

^^No, only the Celtics would get screwed like that (thrice, I might add). Stern won't do that to any other team.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#26 » by eitanr » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:23 pm

If Boston can't keep Posey and wants to reserve some cap room, is there a better deal out there? His last season in 05 was impressive before he went down. He was averaging 14ppg on over 46% shooting and near 35% from 3. He averaged around 1 steal and 1 block per game as well. I think Boston could land Maggette or even a scorer off the bench...dare I say it....Ricky Davis, having a guy in Miles alongside him off the bench is a great decision for an extremely cheap price.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#27 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:54 pm

This is just from memory so maybe someone else can chime in....

I remember that when Reggie died, there wasn't any precise language as to how it affected the salary cap. I think that the Celtics elected to continue payments to his spouse even though they probably could have stopped as the contract was with Reggie. Not quite sure if there was insurance involved either. Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the leagues' owners got together and had a vote on the salary cap question and guess what, they voted against Boston and Red and decided that Reggie's salary does count against the cap. One of the unmentioned reasons why we get stuck in mediocrity for so long.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Rocky5000 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:39 pm

buckner1976 wrote:
not sure i understand this. werent both andersen AND miles guys that violated the substance abuse policy?? both have skill. why does miles get the leeway while andersen doesnt?

IMO, Miles is a B- player, whereas Andersen is a D+ type of guy. I see a big difference between the 2 guys' skill levels.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:42 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:
buckner1976 wrote:
not sure i understand this. werent both andersen AND miles guys that violated the substance abuse policy?? both have skill. why does miles get the leeway while andersen doesnt?

IMO, Miles is a B- player, whereas Andersen is a D+ type of guy. I see a big difference between the 2 guys' skill levels.

Andersen is 6'10" and can play D. He always hustles and just made some poor life decisions. Miles is lazy and never wanted to do anything but get paid and live the life. I will take Andersen even though he can't jump out of the gym.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#30 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:25 pm

Ainge has always been high on Miles and because of their ages I would guess that both MIles and Livingston can come back to an NBA level if not the super athlete level they were prior to the injury.

The thing with Miles is that he has played so many mins at such a young age he is bound to turn that veteran corner at an early age.

Miles has not always been a very good player but this idea that he is lazy and somehow more of a character question than Birdman is laughable. Do you know how **** up you have to be get kicked out of the NBA for two years?

Miles is a 10/5 SF not the defender that Posey is but a more productive offensive player and rebounder if healthy. A very solid back up option if Posey moves on and perhaps a package deal with his former Clipper teamate Corey Maggette.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:57 pm

[quote="sully00"]Ainge has always been high on Miles and because of their ages I would guess that both MIles and Livingston can come back to an NBA level if not the super athlete level they were prior to the injury.

The thing with Miles is that he has played so many mins at such a young age he is bound to turn that veteran corner at an early age.

Miles has not always been a very good player but this idea that he is lazy and somehow more of a character question than Birdman is laughable. Do you know how **** up you have to be get kicked out of the NBA for two years?

Andersen had a cocaine and alcohol problem. He has that straightened out now. Is miles still a lazy individual?
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#32 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:38 pm

Miles is more talented then Andersen. And I think drug issue is far worse then any motivational issues Miles might have had on the jailblazers. Posey has had his bouts with laziness as well...at least with regards to his conditioning.

The problem with coke addicts and drunks is that it actually changes your brain. Your not the same guy you used to be and you never will. They have tested mice with cocaine and found they prefer it to any other 'reward.' Its the same with people - all coke addicts want is more coke. They don't care about anything else anymore..not food, not sex and not even money..

Pete
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#33 » by 15th overall » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:38 pm

bruno, was it confirmed that coke was got him booted?

I was always under the impression that it was something a bit more obscure than weed or blow but I haven't exactly been monitoring the situation.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,259

Post#34 » by TheSheriff » Tue Jul 8, 2008 6:01 pm

If Miles is healthy he is probably worth a flier for the vet min. He is a good defender, is tall, and can score. He isn't Corey, but he has talent.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#35 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:32 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:However, the Boston fans' interest in Miles, in some cases, simply to mess with Portland is nonsensical. Portland acquired the draft rights for Roy from Minnesota. Ainge traded that sixth pick in a trade involving Telfair. So, you're getting back at Portland because... Why?

This isn't about revenge. This is about the rare opportunity to hurt another team with a simple signing. Especially one that could be standing between us and more banners in the future.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Post#36 » by threrf23 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't think Birdman's drug abuse incident was worse than Miles' off court issues (or many players off court issues)....

But I think DMiles has at least possibly been written off unfairly. When healthy, even when he wasn't living up to expectations, he was one of the league's fewer players that could score, rebound, pick up a few assists, steals, and blocks every game. He's got a good NBA body and talent. And he came up in East St. Louis. You grow up in or around a place like that, you've gotta be headstrong to make it to where he is today (or at least where he was yesterday). I know you could say something similar about a number of other players in the league, but East St Louis isn't exactly a bad part of NY. Murder rate is more than double that of Compton, CA, and its murder rate is nothing compared to its other rates.

Plus if he can contribute, it'd be great to stick it to Portland.
coach mang
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,401

Post#37 » by coach mang » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:21 pm

15th overall wrote:bruno, was it confirmed that coke was got him booted?

I was always under the impression that it was something a bit more obscure than weed or blow but I haven't exactly been monitoring the situation.

mangina almost sure it was heron not tonytime

big differenc

how bout we get em both?

our bench is more **** up than your bench boyeeeee....
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#38 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:48 pm

A heathly Miles could be decent - but we wouldn't get to see our binkies perform. :P Namely Giddens and Walker - assuming they make the team. That's about the only downside. He isn't as good as Corey or Posey..but hey if he could learn to hit open 3s he would be pretty helpful.

Pete
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,874

Post#39 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:49 pm

Darius had his knee examined by two doctors, not one. One was Portland's, one was a doctor agreed to by both the NBA and the NBPA.

No one knows what exactly he was suspended for at this moment. 10 games is either a p.e.d or 4th drug infraction. Since he hasn't played in two years if he had a third violation and five games suspension no one knew.

If Darius signs with another team and Portland suspects foul play they can send in a petition to the league. I am not sure if after that he has to get his knee examined by another doctor again.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#40 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:10 pm

^^^ He had an "impressive" workout. I think that has more weight then some doctors a few years ago. <g> We shall see - but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays again.

OTOH I don't see how this screws the blazers over - their doctors made a mistake big deal. And any luxury tax problems can be absorbed by the new Mark Cuban - Paul Allen..

Return to Boston Celtics