ImageImageImage

Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Re: Why won't Darius Miles tell himself to retire? 

Post#81 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Ainge won’t make major moves during the offseason. He would like to re-sign Posey, a free agent, and took a recent look at ex-Blazer Darius Miles, as did both Phoenix and New Jersey.

“Darius’ talent is there, and his health is better than we were led to believe,” Ainge says. “We’re going to continue to explore that and some other options.

“This team is going to get better. The experience we had in the playoffs can only be a benefit for Big Baby and Perkins and Rondo and Powe. Paul, Ray and KG still have a lot left in their tank. I didn’t see any sign of aging in the NBA Finals by any of those guys. We have so many young guys, I don’t see the age factor hurting us for the next couple of years.”

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/s ... 6622042200

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#82 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:40 pm

I'll say this about Danny, he is willing to bend a little bit clearly to get the best talent on his roster. Even if that means you take on a guy with some questionable intangibles or injury history (or both, for DMiles). Whether that eventually comes to bite him in the a$$ will be interesting, although by and large he's found a nice mix of attitude, athleticism, and skill. But for the end-of-the-bench additions and draft picks, he has taken his fair share of gambles.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#83 » by canman1971 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Here is what Danny had to say about Miles in a Portland newspaper. Plus a pretty good article on Ainge.

Ainge won’t make major moves during the offseason. He would like to re-sign Posey, a free agent, and took a recent look at ex-Blazer Darius Miles, as did both Phoenix and New Jersey.

“Darius’ talent is there, and his health is better than we were led to believe,” Ainge says. “We’re going to continue to explore that and some other options.
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#84 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm

People are way too quick to damn an athlete for taking PED's, especially when we don't know all the details. Ten years from now every senior citizen will be on HGH or something similar because it works, athletes today are just being the guinea pigs for the pharmaceutical companies. It's a known fact that HGH will provide for quicker and stronger healing and possibly healing injuries that are currently considered career-ending. If Miles did this and it worked, good for him, its worth the penalty. I'd do and you all would too. Let's see $5,000,000 a year or $50,000 a year.
It's what allowed Bonds and Clemens to dominate an extra 10 years, all of MLB to have so many sluggers, Rodney Harrison to play last year, etc, etc. Like I said, 10 years from now it will be legal and prescribed by your physician and your knee or shoulder or elbow will no longer hurt every day. I'm not saying anything about how society and athletics will handle this but HGH will probably be in each one of our's future.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:54 am

canman1971 wrote:Here is what Danny had to say about Miles in a Portland newspaper. Plus a pretty good article on Ainge.

Is there an echo in hear. Look up... You posted the exact same thing I'd already posted two posts before.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#86 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:16 pm

armageddon wrote:People are way too quick to damn an athlete for taking PED's, especially when we don't know all the details. Ten years from now every senior citizen will be on HGH or something similar because it works, athletes today are just being the guinea pigs for the pharmaceutical companies. It's a known fact that HGH will provide for quicker and stronger healing and possibly healing injuries that are currently considered career-ending. If Miles did this and it worked, good for him, its worth the penalty. I'd do and you all would too. Let's see $5,000,000 a year or $50,000 a year.
It's what allowed Bonds and Clemens to dominate an extra 10 years, all of MLB to have so many sluggers, Rodney Harrison to play last year, etc, etc. Like I said, 10 years from now it will be legal and prescribed by your physician and your knee or shoulder or elbow will no longer hurt every day. I'm not saying anything about how society and athletics will handle this but HGH will probably be in each one of our's future.

OK where to begin. Right now it's not legal to just use it. DR's will give a perscription for it and that usually come with some form of rehab. Also if he took this stuff illegaly then he should be penalized.

As far as what Bonds and clemens did is another matter. They were perfectly healthy and took it. A, it is illegal to do so. As in you are going to jail. B, you are a complete cheater and a fraud, for what?

Is what Miles did different? I have no idea. I don't know if he was using illegaly for months, years, but it doesn't matter. He still got nailed for doing something illegal.
armageddon
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#87 » by armageddon » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Ya, so. Miles takes some illegal PED's, pays the 10-day suspension, and returns to a million dollar career. If this is what made the difference between playing and not playing anyone would be an absolute fool not to use the PED's. As a fan, in this specific situation, why do I care. He did the no-no, paid the penalty, its in the past. Are you screeming to remove Harrison from the Pats. Also, when Miles, took the drugs, he wasn't officially an NBA player, for whatever that means.
Anyways, for me, if he can help the team, I want him.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Harrison did it for the same reasons. I wasn't happy with Rodneys decision either. This is why, it is never, "oh I will just use to get over the hump." It's I will use this **** until I get caught or have to retire.
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#89 » by cucad8 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 pm

I wouldn't care about someone taking PEDs, but my thought with Miles is, he isn't just taking them tro "try to get back into shape", and then will serve his 10 game suspension, and be ok. I am thinking, if his knee is as bad as it was said to be, he probably NEEDED the drugs to be able to have an impressive workout. And probably two weeks after, he felt the effects from that workout. And will always need something like that to perform at a high level, or even a mediocre level.
Who knows though, stranger things have happened, I suppose.
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#90 » by Celtics_85 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Listen, if Miles can come back like McDyess and give that type of support, then he would be worth signing, but let the Doctors make that decision as they would know how stuff like that effects the area in flux here. Miles would only be needed to relieve Pierce in spurts, but htere is also many players out there can do this also, with two besides TA that are on this team or have been deafted per say.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#91 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:46 pm

^^^ Taking say HGH to come back from injury might be off-label but it's fine with me. I don't see the big deal.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by bruno sundov » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:04 pm

More than likely if he took it to get back he needs it to stay there!! That is where the problem is.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#93 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:39 pm

I don't agree. There is some precedent in taking HGH to hasten recovery times. It's more jock wisdom then actual science though. That and the oxygen chamber thing..

HGH isn't some "unnatural" thing - there is quite alot of it an average young athlete as it is. If it's steroids (which I doubt) you do need to cycle those and stay on it. But I don't think NBA athletes really benefit that much from steroids in general. Though you could imagine a guy like Scalabrine really benefitting...<g>

Pete
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#94 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:51 am

Article about Miles on si.com:

"I'm physically 100 percent,'' Miles said in his first interview since attempting a comeback unprecedented in this salary-cap era. "I'm not in [basketball] shape, but healthwise and bodywise I'm 100 percent. I've got the explosion, I can move.''

Already assured of making $18 million over the next two seasons from his guaranteed Blazers contract, Miles is seeking a minimal contract with an option to become a free agent after the season -- gambling that he will rejuvenate his value on the court this year. A crucial aspect of any new contract would provide his next team with an exclusion should he reinjure the knee, in which case the team could release Miles without paying the remainder of his salary.

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:58 am

GuyClinch wrote:I don't agree. There is some precedent in taking HGH to hasten recovery times. It's more jock wisdom then actual science though. That and the oxygen chamber thing..

HGH isn't some "unnatural" thing - there is quite alot of it an average young athlete as it is. If it's steroids (which I doubt) you do need to cycle those and stay on it. But I don't think NBA athletes really benefit that much from steroids in general. Though you could imagine a guy like Scalabrine really benefitting...<g>

Pete

HGH is "unnatural" when you take it every day for extended periods of time. You are taking those hormone levels and multiplying them ten folds. How is that good for you? When Chris Benoit went insane and killed his whole family and himslef. The only shipment s he was getting was HGH.

IF Miles can come to BOS and not need the stuff to play everyday, I'm starting to consider it. I would still rather have Gomes.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#96 » by GuyClinch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:24 pm

HGH is "unnatural" when you take it every day for extended periods of time. You are taking those hormone levels and multiplying them ten folds. How is that good for you? When Chris Benoit went insane and killed his whole family and himslef. The only shipment s he was getting was HGH.

How do you know he was mutiplying it "ten fold"? Not only that but the Chris Benoit bit is weak anecdotal evidence. It means nothing. Plenty of people are taking all kinds of different things when they go beserk and kill people. Just because some killer popped an aspirin before offing his three kids doesn't mean we should ban aspirin. Use your head man..

Pete
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#97 » by canman1971 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 pm

I am actually starting to come around on Miles. If, and I mean if, he is 100% healthy, what do the Celtics have to lose? 1 year deal at the minimum is a low risk. Somebody will sign him. Why not the Cs.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#98 » by Spin Move » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:06 pm

If he can touch the top of the backboard as a recent article stated and KG and Pierce think they can control him why not at hte vet min, we just cut him if he starts causing problems. We sign someone else too to compete for those same minutes but whoever wins them wins them.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:23 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

How do you know he was mutiplying it "ten fold"? Not only that but the Chris Benoit bit is weak anecdotal evidence. It means nothing. Plenty of people are taking all kinds of different things when they go beserk and kill people. Just because some killer popped an aspirin before offing his three kids doesn't mean we should ban aspirin. Use your head man..

Pete

Ok. maybe it is 5 times the normal amount. Either way it isn't good for your body or brain. Once again IF he needs this to compete in the NBA I don't want him on the celts. I don't that he does or doesn't, same withe the rest of us here.

Please don't compare asprin to something such as HGH, where there have been no real studies done on it to prove its affects on the body. that is just a silly argument to make. The truth is we don't know what this stuff does to people long term.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:45 am

I read that Miles still views himself as a starter in the league but is open to coming off the bench on a contending team. He'll prefer to be a part of a team where he has others to look up to. And he thinks he's healthy but not in NBA shape.

I don't know, I still would pass on him. He isn't a defender and can't shoot all that well. I'd rather sign Andersen if we're talking about giving a player who has fallen a second chance. Actually, this is like Andersen's third chance by my count. The first was coming up from the NBDL and the second was being reinstated.

Return to Boston Celtics