ImageImageImage

My take and ALL things Posey Here....

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Re: My take and ALL things Posey Here.... 

Post#121 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 am

GuyClinch wrote:
Garnett, Pierce, and Allen surely have a higher regard for what Posey brings to the table than you do. I too, think his intangibles contribute more to winning basketball than his stats would suggest and I hope Danny brings him back.

Pierce wanted Blount to sign with us as well. <g> Listen we all like what Posey brings to the table. He is clutch. He can hit open 3s. He has "balls." He isn't afraid to take a charge. And so on.

Very few people thought it was a bad idea to resign Blount at the time. He had just come off a fine year. It was regarded as a coup at the time to get him back. Easy to pick apart the signing in hind sight.

All i saying is that Posey isn't this magical player that you can't win a championship without. Other teams have won championships without James Posey. (Yes it's true look it up) Honestly I thought of the C's championship as kind of a lesson for all those Toronto fans. Those OMG you need a great BENCH people.

There's as false characterization being presented here. Nobody's saying Posey's the end all, be all, or that he personally delivered the championship on a platter to us. I can't speak for anyone else, but from what I've seen, seeing as we've got only the MLE with which to fill that reserve 2/3/sometimes 4 role, I think he's the best option still on the market. You feel Matt Barnes or Gadzuric are as good or better options, so be it.

If we get Posey back - hurrah - because we know we didn't lose that much assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).
How is it a leap? Does he have a history of dogging it. I admit to not having watched the Heat much after they won the championship, so strictly going on stats, I don't notice a drop off, so why would you think it's a leap that he'll be motivated?
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#122 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:02 am

How is it a leap? Does he have a history of dogging it. I admit to not having watched the Heat much after they won the championship, so strictly going on stats, I don't notice a drop off, so why would you think it's a leap that he'll be motivated?

Because I think he saw the playoffs as a way to set himself up for the rest of his life.. If he gets that it's only natural that ones motivation might slip. <g> Both Posey and House are looking for deals like that. I don't blame them. But that doesn't mean the C's have to pay for their good efforts (as was suggested by some)..

Posey was a great roleplayer for the C's. We can always be thankful he stepped up just like Jermaine Wiggins did...or Deion Branch or David Givens. I am sure you would have wanted to sign those guys at any price.

Pete
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#123 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 am

james posey played a much bigger role than david givens...NFL & NBA are way different in this regard. there are hundreds of WR's that could fill branch/givens' roles...but how many james poseys are there out there? how many "do whatever it takes to win, hustle, gritty defense, clutch 3's & FTs, yessir, WINNER" role players are there like big game james? not as many as alot think. who else in the NBA greets & hugs the starters like pose does? ask the miami heat players....that meant alot to them, then they lost it & they realized they missed it. i know of no other player that is james posey-like in everything he brings to the table.

i agree, dont sign him for too much. give him what he deserves, & a lil extra for him coming here for cheap LAST year & show that he means alot. dont let him walk.

i'm sayin it right now....if posey isnt on this team next year, it'll be 10X harder to win the title next year. not sayin it WONT happen, but i AM saying posey is a HUGE piece to our great team.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#124 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am

GuyClinch wrote:

Because I think he saw the playoffs as a way to set himself up for the rest of his life.. If he gets that it's only natural that ones motivation might slip. <g> Both Posey and House are looking for deals like that. I don't blame them. But that doesn't mean the C's have to pay for their good efforts (as was suggested by some)..

So, Posey's motivation for playing well in the playoffs was for his next contract, and not for the opportunity to win a championship? Why would you malign the guy like that? Do you similarly malign House's motivations?

assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).

He doesn't have a history of dogging it, even after winning a championship, but this translates to you as sufficient reason to question his motivation to play hard. Again, based on what?

Posey was a great roleplayer for the C's. We can always be thankful he stepped up just like Jermaine Wiggins did...or Deion Branch or David Givens. I am sure you would have wanted to sign those guys at any price.

Nobody is suggesting signing Posey at any price. When you don't have legitimate points to make, this strategy of making things up and then attributing them to whoever you're struggling with is definitely not winning you any debate points.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#125 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Posey and House wont be signed for money that will hurt the team. They aren't going to get deal longer than 3 years and wont get big money. So if DA felt the need to ship them he could more easily.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#126 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 pm

I know it's more emotional than rational, but I'm sick of waiting on/begging for Posey. I'm fine if we can sign another experienced and hungry player who's capable of playing some D. I'm also rooting for Bill Walker's play to force him onto this year's team: He strikes me as something of a Powe at the 3: emotionally mature and driven to succeed.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#127 » by buckner1976 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Barry Lird wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:

So, Posey's motivation for playing well in the playoffs was for his next contract, and not for the opportunity to win a championship? Why would you malign the guy like that? Do you similarly malign House's motivations?

assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).

He doesn't have a history of dogging it, even after winning a championship,
but this translates to you as sufficient reason to question his motivation to play hard. Again, based on what?

Nobody is suggesting signing Posey at any price. When you don't have legitimate points to make, this strategy of making things up and then attributing them to whoever you're struggling with is definitely not winning you any debate points.

no but there was that conditioning thing with miami. id love posey back. people talk about our window being the next 2-3 years. im all for bringing him back for that time. but beyond that not a chance. id prefer the non bird but i have no problem with the mle for 2 years. maybe even 3 because at least the 3rd year he could be traded. though i understand why danny wouldnt.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#128 » by Kefa461 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:15 pm

The longer it takes the better it is for the C's, IMHO....... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#129 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 pm

Very few people thought it was a bad idea to resign Blount at the time. He had just come off a fine year. It was regarded as a coup at the time to get him back. Easy to pick apart the signing in hind sight.

The glories of realgm will show that isn't true. Plenty of people knew that Blount was a stonehanded flash in the pan that was a cap killer the minute the ink dried.

but how many james poseys are there out there? how many "do whatever it takes to win, hustle, gritty defense, clutch 3's & FTs, yessir, WINNER" role players are there like big game james?

At least one a year. Every championship or deep playoff run has the role player who stands out and no team can live without. You could have 5 all stars but if you don't have .... role player you can't win a championship. It has been Horry, Fisher, Damon Jones, Mehmet Okur, now it is James Posey and there are plenty of others. It is fine most of them are good players that help you win but what they do is over glorified that is all.

The common thread between the Heat and Celtic championships is the quick jelling of all star and high priced egos and dominant inside out play, not just the fact that James Posey was on the team..
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#130 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:10 pm

sully00 wrote:

The glories of realgm will show that isn't true. Plenty of people knew that Blount was a stonehanded flash in the pan that was a cap killer the minute the ink dried.

but how many james poseys are there out there? how many "do whatever it takes to win, hustle, gritty defense, clutch 3's & FTs, yessir, WINNER" role players are there like big game james?

At least one a year. Every championship or deep playoff run has the role player who stands out and no team can live without. You could have 5 all stars but if you don't have .... role player you can't win a championship. It has been Horry, Fisher, Damon Jones, Mehmet Okur, now it is James Posey and there are plenty of others. It is fine most of them are good players that help you win but what they do is over glorified that is all.

The common thread between the Heat and Celtic championships is the quick jelling of all star and high priced egos and dominant inside out play, not just the fact that James Posey was on the team..

This kind of goes along with what I have been saying since day one. Guys like Pierce, Garnett and Allen (Boston) and Wade, Shaq (Miami) make guys like Posey look much better than they are. If Posey does choose to sign elsewhere, I am sure someone will be able to look better than they actually are because all the focus goes on the stars. Posey wants 4 years? Adios amigos! I would hesitate to give him 3, but would be OK with it if that is what it took. Whether it is on the Celtics or another team, a role player will step up next year and claim they are worth more than they are today due to the players they will be playing with. Danny is smart to understand this.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#131 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:26 pm

^^I agree...as much as I loved Posey and House this year, they are not even STARTERS and want to be paid as such...for 3-4 years? Sorry guys, see ya later and thanks for the memories!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#132 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 pm

sully00 wrote:

Yeah, it would be interesting to read the actual thread(s) at the time of his resigning to see whether in fact that was true or not (I'm too lazy to go back and do so :-? ). I remember that very few people saw it as a bad move. As you say, the proof is there to be found.

Agree about how both squads gelled quickly to achieve what they did. And I don't think anyone around here is supposing that Posey was the main reason those squads won championships. Seems like a convenient straw man to beat up. I'm merely not downplaying his contributions, either.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#133 » by cisco » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Posey signed 4 year deal with the Hornets. Boston Globe is reporting.

F*** YOU AINGE! :evil:
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#134 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

cisco wrote:F*** YOU AINGE! :evil:
yeah, how dare you manage the cap logically you bast***!!
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#135 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm

There is nothing to even downplay and while I agree with what canman is saying, I don't think Posey is any better or worse because of who he plays with it is simply because of the teams he has played on he has been put into the position to let his intangibles shine.

Save the straw man message board cop out and read the thread and count how many times someone has said "we would not have won #17 without Posey."

I think Eric Williams was a very simliar player to Posey he just never got to be on a great team. But as a time line it is a huge concern. Eric had knee problems but his career fell off completely after the age of 32 and that was just as his reputed value as a veteran role player had peaked. Another player is Donyell Marshall a guy who was loved by teams all over the league at 31-32 and then useless.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#136 » by Kefa461 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Well I trust Danny has the best in mind for the C's....we will see..... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
ramshackle75
Pro Prospect

Post#137 » by ramshackle75 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:13 pm

cisco wrote:F*** YOU AINGE! :evil:

Yeah, F you and the 2008 championship, right?

How soon they forget ...
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#138 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:30 pm

sully00 wrote:There is nothing to even downplay and while I agree with what canman is saying, I don't think Posey is any better or worse because of who he plays with it is simply because of the teams he has played on he has been put into the position to let his intangibles shine.

Save the straw man message board cop out and read the thread and count how many times someone has said "we would not have won #17 without Posey."

Cop out nuthin. You stated:

As if anybody would reasonably think Posey was THE main reason why those teams won the championship (the implication), which is why it amounts to a straw man, as nobody really thinks that.

Even people saying we wouldn't have won it without him are not implying that he was the MAIN reason we won it. It has to be put into the context of... in his specific role, would another (at his salary and position) have given us enough to get it done. In that context, not an outlandish statement. We can never know the truth of that, but relative to his salary, he was everything we could have hoped for.

I think you clearly downplay his intangibles, and their effect on winning, but intangibles and their value are subjective and there's no way to really prove that value. You can say that guys like EWill or Marshall would have done just as well when put on the court with the guys that Posey has played with, and there's no way to disprove that either. On the other hand, you can say that guys like Posey, or Horry, while role players, step up when the lights are brightest and really get it done. And that is proven, and not just theory.

I'm fine with Ainge not wanting to sign him for 4 years. I trust Ainge's judgement. I suspect if it was just for 2 (or 3) years, that Danny would have brought him back as the best player available for MLE or less. Yet another thing we'll never know though.

In any event, it's a done deal. Time to move on.
Axel
Veteran
And1: 1,133

Post#139 » by Axel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:27 pm

Posey always has been about the money. It's not a surprise to me that he decided to sign elsewhere.

He's not worth a four year deal.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#140 » by Maple Green » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:43 am

Thanks Posey for your contribution to got the 17th banner

Return to Boston Celtics