ImageImageImage

My take and ALL things Posey Here....

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Re: My take and ALL things Posey Here.... 

Post#81 » by kmgarnett21 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 pm

i agree barry lird....IF we dont get posey (& lets hope we retain him), i think barnes would be a good fit. he's the same type of player as posey, although not nearly as good. he's a good hustle player who can knock down 3's & who may be more athletic than posey.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#82 » by GuyClinch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:56 pm

^^^ I like Barnes too. Long - can hit threes. Kinda similiar to Posey..but without the mean streak.

Pete
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#83 » by Celtics_85 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 pm

Posey might be better defensively than Barnes, but not offensively. Barnes can hit the three and is much better taking it to the rim. Posey is a little better overall, but not as much as some may think.
BobbySura
Bench Warmer
And1: 333

Post#84 » by BobbySura » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:57 am

my problem with barnes is that everytime i've seen him play, it seems like he tries to do more than what he can.
fallentimes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#85 » by fallentimes » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:59 pm

But with KG, Allen and Pierce, Barnes would just have to hit 3s.
ticketstumbler.com - Expedia for NBA Tickets!
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#86 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 am

So long as Barnes doesn't dribble too much, he's a nice player. A bit of a 3/4 tweener, but not bad.

I like the idea of bringing Gomes back. He's slimmed down, has started knocking down 3s okay, and would obviously fit the team culture. Plus, I know for a fact Ryan would die to come back to Boston.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#87 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:26 am

As much as I would love to have Gomes back, I just don't think that Boston is going to be in his price range, he has to be worth more than 4 mil to the Wolves or in FA.

Barnes would be okay but he has a lot of Scal in him. While he had some staying power in GS he also got cut like a half dozen times because he couldn't fit in with other squads. Plays hard though.
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#88 » by MVP16 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 am

Posey could make a decision tomorrow...

Celtics forward James Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstien, said Sunday that there could be "something" contract-wise for his client on Monday. Bartelstien would not divulge the interested teams, but an NBA source said that the Hornets seem to be Boston's main competition. The Celtics seem willing to give Posey the full $5.5 mid-level exception, but it seems doubtful that it will be offered more than two years. The 31-year-old seems interested in getting a four-year deal. Other teams potentially interested in Posey include Detroit, Washington and Cleveland

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#89 » by PPAW4Life » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 am

Posey is the ultimate utility/role player who has started and can start for a team if someone goes down.

If this isn't a guy you reward with a nice contract....then who is?
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#90 » by Kefa461 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:51 pm

From a 3 down to a 2 year deal ????? Makes no sense. Maybe a typo from Spears? I thinks it's a mistake to let Posey go but I trust in Ainge.... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#91 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 pm

PPAW4Life wrote:Posey is the ultimate utility/role player who has started and can start for a team if someone goes down.

If this isn't a guy you reward with a nice contract....then who is?

Really good point. But the issue that the Celtics are having is that they don't want to have their hands tied in the future and be unable to sign other really good free agents. As much as we'd all love to reward Posey, front offices need to have that businessman's ruthlessness.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#92 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 pm

^^^ You dont REWARD players. You pay them what the market will bear for their services. Not only that you try not to pay more then you would to an equivalent player.

Listen I liked Posey all season long. I told everyone he was more valuable to use them Gomes. But now after a hot playoff suddenly the guy is a super stud. He is not. He is a nice roleplayer. Your going to lose LITTLE if ANY going with Childress or Barnes. With the money you might save you could bolster the team in some other way..

So Danny needs to exercise judgement and not overpay for the guy.. We don't need to reward him. He already gets paid millions in the NBA to play a kids game. If we were rewarding him he would get negative dollars like all the other professional athletes should.

Pete
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#93 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:06 pm

GuyClinch wrote:^^^ You dont REWARD players. You pay them what the market will bear for their services. Not only that you try not to pay more then you would to an equivalent player.

Listen I liked Posey all season long. I told everyone he was more valuable to use them Gomes. But now after a hot playoff suddenly the guy is a super stud. He is not. He is a nice roleplayer. Your going to lose LITTLE if ANY going with Childress or Barnes. With the money you might save you could bolster the team in some other way..

So Danny needs to exercise judgement and not overpay for the guy.. We don't need to reward him. He already gets paid millions in the NBA to play a kids game. If we were rewarding him he would get negative dollars like all the other professional athletes should.

Pete

Is that directed at me? Because I said what you said, just not in so many words. We'd like to reward players, but that's just not how you run a successful, forward-looking sports franchise.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#94 » by Celtsfan1980 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm starting to get impatient so I hope he is signed this week regardless of which team signs him. I'd like to see him come back, but there are other good free agents so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left. My biggest complaint is that Posey is a reserve making a starter's salary. Dallas also gave Diop the MLE. Is this going to be a new trend? The NBA should make a rule where a reserve makes $4 million maximum. It will cost even more to go to games, so it's the fans who will lose in the end.
Athanacropolis
Analyst

Post#95 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I'm starting to get impatient so I hope he is signed this week regardless of which team signs him. I'd like to see him come back, but there are other good free agents so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left. My biggest complaint is that Posey is a reserve making a starter's salary. Dallas also gave Diop the MLE. Is this going to be a new trend? The NBA should make a rule where a reserve makes $4 million maximum. It will cost even more to go to games, so it's the fans who will lose in the end.

Neither the NBA, nor the players, care about the costs to the fans.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#96 » by Collinto » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:I'm starting to get impatient so I hope he is signed this week regardless of which team signs him. I'd like to see him come back, but there are other good free agents so I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left. My biggest complaint is that Posey is a reserve making a starter's salary. Dallas also gave Diop the MLE. Is this going to be a new trend? The NBA should make a rule where a reserve makes $4 million maximum. It will cost even more to go to games, so it's the fans who will lose in the end.

The MLE is actually equal to the average NBA salary. Each team has 15 (12 active) roster spots, so the middle spots are around 6 and 7. Rookies have a cap, and therefore, bring down the average, but the top tier max players bring up the average. Therefore, it is pretty fair that the top reserves should be making about league average.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 pm

Kefa461 wrote:From a 3 down to a 2 year deal ????? Makes no sense. Maybe a typo from Spears? I thinks it's a mistake to let Posey go but I trust in Ainge.... 8-)

It makes plenty of sense. The three year deal they offered was for 12 mil what they are now willing to do is give him the 12 mil over 2 years. Right now Boston has only 4 contracts that run into the 10/11 season and they belong to 4 of their starters. They would have a max salary slot available during one of the biggest FA classes in history.

That is what is wrong with the shortsighted nature of there is no future beyond the next two years so lets screw it financially for a back up SF.

The two years at the the MLE is a bigger financial hit on the tax but it also preserves cap space for 10/11. I still think it is too much for Posey but it isn't my money and it keeps the team together.
celticsfanforlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#98 » by celticsfanforlife » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm glad Ainge is holding his ground on this. There's no reason to give Pose more than 2 years...maybe if we didn't have any draft picks in the near future, but that is certainly not the case and we just drafted Giddens and Walker. Those two may not be in the picture as much this year... but I'm sure the FO thinks they will be in 2-3 seasons.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#99 » by Collinto » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:47 pm

sully00 wrote:
Kefa461 wrote:From a 3 down to a 2 year deal ????? Makes no sense. Maybe a typo from Spears? I thinks it's a mistake to let Posey go but I trust in Ainge.... 8-)

It makes plenty of sense. The three year deal they offered was for 12 mil what they are now willing to do is give him the 12 mil over 2 years. Right now Boston has only 4 contracts that run into the 10/11 season and they belong to 4 of their starters. They would have a max salary slot available during one of the biggest FA classes in history.

That is what is wrong with the shortsighted nature of there is no future beyond the next two years so lets screw it financially for a back up SF.

The two years at the the MLE is a bigger financial hit on the tax but it also preserves cap space for 10/11. I still think it is too much for Posey but it isn't my money and it keeps the team together.

Danny would have to get pretty creative to have a max slot. Currently they would have 48 million on the books for the summer of 2010. But that is at Rondo's qualifying offer that summer of 3 million (which I believe means he takes up 9 million in cap space until he signs, which puts their salary cap number at 54 million. The cap two years from now would be approx. 63 million. So we would not have max money unless:

1. Rondo takes less than 9 million a year, and if so how much does he get? That will be an important negotiation for the FO. It would be nice to get that done early and hopefully in the 8 million/year average range, which would start out around 7 million year one (giving approx. 11 mil cap room in summer of '10)

2. Pierce has a player option with a 21 million dollar salary. Does he do what the Clips thought Brand was going to do and opt out and take a lower salary in 2010, but get it back with max raises? KG already took less money on his extension. If he signs for what KG did, 16.4 million, then we have basically max money, around 16 million.

3. Not signing anyone longer than two years this summer, one year next summer. That is why the Posey contract is two year, presumably. If, big if, we get him for two years, that is ideal. We can compete now and then compete for a big name free agent in two summers.

It seems like a long shot, but landing a James, Wade, Bosh, Stoudemire, Ginobli, Chandler, Johnson, Nowitski, McGrady, MIng...the list goes on, it would be worth the effort, of course.

Now if that comes to fruition, then Danny has to assemble the remaining 7 roster spots with the MLE, LLE and vet minimums...

Here's to planning ahead.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 pm

It looks like Rondo's cap hold would be 6 mil, (300% of his previous years salary of 2 mil).

Players coming off rookie scale deals have been getting 12 mil in year one.

Obviously it would make sense to look at extending Pierce at a reduced rate to free up more money.

The tough part is that Boston would not have the MLE available as they would already be below the cap.

Return to Boston Celtics