ImageImageImage

Maggette headed to the Warriors

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Re: Maggette headed to the Warriors 

Post#16 » by rambo_ortega » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:12 am

maggete would be nice in golden state especially after pietrus signed with orlando
buckner1976
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#17 » by buckner1976 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:13 am

dannys too much of a poker player to fall into a panic move just because maggette is off the market now. his desire to not give posey the mle has nothing to do with maggette. i dont think he ups his offer to posey at all and i still think posey goes elsewhere.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#18 » by wfiles » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:17 am

The full 5 year MLE deal or Posey will go to the Lakers, Spurs, or Suns.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#19 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:18 am

I still don't think Posey is a must atm. I'm pretty confident if we bring back TA, and have Walker and Giddens on the bench we should have enough to back up Paul and Ray. After all, you don't want to take those guys out of the game anyways. How much do people really care who backs up LeBron, Kobe, or Duncan? If we're still pursuing a wing player as our primary FA need, guys we could go after include JR Smith, Azubuike, Ricky, and Bonzi Wells.

Out of those 4 I like, Azubuike the best because of his all-around game. Perhaps with Maggette on board, he's now expendable.

Smith and Davis would be good scoring options to have off the bench.

Bonzi is a great defender, multiple position guy, and a good rebounder for his size, pretty much everything Danny and Doc look for. He also has shown he can step up in the playoffs, like he did against the Spurs in 05-06.(Averaged 23 and 12) This year was a down-year for him statistically, so I'm not sure what to make of that. He switched teams mid-year and never really found a groove in New Orleans. In Houston he was trying to rehab from injury and his playing time was erratic.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#20 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:22 am

childress would be a real nice addition.
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#21 » by buckner1976 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:28 am

TheSheriff wrote:Danny shouldn't overpay for Posey. Right now i would make a full MLE offer to Josh Childress. He will be better than Posey over the length of the contract, IMO, and ATL needs to match Josh Smith's contract.

ding! ding! ding! good call on childress. i live in atl and everything i read says they plan to match every offer for both but its absolutely worth making.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#22 » by The Corey's » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:29 am

hope he enjoys more years of losing. atleast he's gonna get paid more to do it then before.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#23 » by dsorc » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:33 am

I'm just glad this will end all the Maggette threads here. Now let's just hope Posey comes to his senses and stops asking for the full MLE or look at the other options that may not cost as much. I still highly doubt we'll use the whole MLE in one player so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#24 » by Truthiracy » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:59 am

Atleast Maggette didn't go to the "Spurs"
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#25 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:03 am

wfiles wrote:The full 5 year MLE deal or Posey will go to the Lakers, Spurs, or Suns.

Okay. Good for James, I wish him the best of luck in the Western Conference.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#26 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:08 am

I read today that the Hornets are pursuing Posey pretty heavily, so throw them into the mix along with the other western teams.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#27 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:20 am

wfiles wrote:The full 5 year MLE deal or Posey will go to the Lakers, Spurs, or Suns.

If that's the case, thank you for helping get banner 17 and enjoy your time in the Western Conference.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#28 » by Spin Move » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:30 am

TheSheriff wrote:Danny shouldn't overpay for Posey. Right now i would make a full MLE offer to Josh Childress. He will be better than Posey over the length of the contract, IMO, and ATL needs to match Josh Smith's contract.

There are alot of guys out there who have the possibility of filling posey's role, Quinton Ross is a guy who I think could blossem here, childress is a talented player who would be a good get, I like james posey, but what does he do, he plays very hard, knocks down open 3's bothers slower wings with his length (he showed in the playoffs he no longer has the speed to stay with faster wings). Here is a reason why signing him to a 4th year may not be horrible, we really dont have that many tradeable contracts and having one thats not horrendous to move might help us land someone who could help the team more down the road. No one is going to offer possey the mid level for 5, I give him his choice of the +20% of his old contract for 4 years or the midlevel for 3. He is replaceable, and after another year or two he will be a burdon most likley.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#29 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:01 am

Damn, well there goes that option. Like said at least he went somewhere where he won't contend. Spurs would have sucked. Or magic.

I think posey is gone, but I trust ainge in replacing him.
LarryBrdismyDad
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#30 » by LarryBrdismyDad » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:59 am

What a phony Maggette is huh? He says all along he would accept less money and play for a contender and as soon as GS offers more money he bolts. What a dumb move by Gs too you pay Maggette more then the MLE like 50 mil for 5 yrs for a guy who has never won anywhere and isnt a #1 option. I would rather rebuild with Ellis, Biedrins, Wright, and Randolph. Wait for your cap space in two years with Harrington and Jackson coming off and the two high lotto picks you would have had in the next two years. I just don't think you sign a veteran to be your #1 option when you are rebuilding. That id the typical NBA Gm move though. Overpay for a veteran so you can accumulate enough wins to not get fired for being bad but not get good enough to win a title.

The Celtics options at the wing are now this:
#1 Offer Childress or JR Smith
#2 Resign Maggette
#3 Downgrade slightly and grab Mo Evans from Orlando
averaged 9 ppg and 49% shooting 40% from 3
P2
Banned User

Post#31 » by P2 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:00 am

SonicYouth34 wrote:So, we have to sign Posey now or we really have no bench?

Barry Lird wrote:Beyond Posey still out there, the pickings are slim.

Tricky Ricky wrote:That sucks atleast SA didnt get him though, TIME TO GET POSEY!

CavemanDoctor wrote:This may force us to overpay for Posey.

We lost out on Maggette and Pietrus, but Posey is not walking through that door again, unless he takes our three-year deal. Danny won't make any panic moves, because there are still some very nice role players in Matt Barnes, James Jones, Quinton Ross and Maurice Evans who could be had for much less than Posey and would come very close to his "production".
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#32 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:27 am

If they can bring back Monta and expect him to be fine as a lead PG, they'll still be fine. Apparently they will make an offer to Turiaf as well.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
P2
Banned User

Post#33 » by P2 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:49 am

Besides Barnes, Ross and Evans, there are still players like Hayes, Delfino, Nachbar.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#34 » by canman1971 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:50 am

I guess Maggette doesn't covet winning all that much then. It is all about the money and it always will be.
P2
Banned User

Post#35 » by P2 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 12:14 pm

canman1971 wrote:It is all about the money and it always will be.

Exactly, and that's why Posey won't sign here, as he has better offers elsewhere and Danny is unwilling to increase the offer to that level.

Return to Boston Celtics