ImageImageImage

Maggette headed to the Warriors

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,237

Re: Maggette headed to the Warriors 

Post#41 » by TheSheriff » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:28 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:If we offer the full MLE to Childress, the Hawks would gladly match that.

Then he will eat up their cap, which also helps. Having to resign Childress and Smith will limit what other moves the Hawks can make down the line and that helps the Celtics. If, as some have speculated, the Hawks are unwilling to pay both Childress and Smith then the Celtics get a valuable young bench player.
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#42 » by nasbahceltic » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:44 pm

RedSoxFan729 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:It's not 'all about the money' canman. The Warriors offered about $15m more over 5 years. That's not chump change. This is probably the last big contract he can earn. And it's not like the Warriors suck.

I'm not criticizing him for taking the money, just what he said about winning and he's already made enough money, so it wasn't important. GS has no chance at winning a title. And if they do, I'll eat my words, but remember and I don't think I am going out on a limb on this one, the Warriors will not win a title in the next five years.

I believe he did mean what he said. However, he would be an idiot to walk away from 15 million dollars.

Well Arenas walked away from 16 million, but then again he is an idiot so point still taken
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#43 » by JHTruth » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:10 pm

Yeah, now you make a serious run at Childress. He would be a stud off the bench for us..
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#44 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:18 pm

Areneas walked away from 16 million as he was getting a what 50 million dollar raise?
MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#45 » by MoBSTa » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:57 pm

Well with James Jones gone and Meggette with a considerable more amount than what Danny has offerd Posey and J.R. Gidden's not signing this is starting to get real ugly.

Could we even include Giddens in a S&T?
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#46 » by theman » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:44 pm

This really stinks for the Clippers. They make a big move for a talented but aging and injury prone point to team with their stub PF and talented wing and what happens? The other two players bolt for new teams. Now they have Barron Davis and talented but very young Al Thornton.

Can anyone update me on the availability of these players.
Juan Dixon
Matt Barnes
Quinton Ross
Trevor Ariza
Grant Hill
Michael Finley
Bonzi Wells

Also if Posey goes else where I'd like Danny to use part of the MLE on one of the above and the rest on Shaun Livingston if he is still available.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#47 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:34 pm

This really stinks for the Clippers. They make a big move for a talented but aging and injury prone point to team with their stub PF and talented wing and what happens? The other two players bolt for new teams. Now they have Barron Davis and talented but very young Al Thornton.

It's not like this just "happens" to them. It's the Clippers. They are cheap organization that treats their employees poorly from what I have heard. People just dont want to play for them. They don't even have their own arena..

Pete
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#48 » by Celtic Esquire » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:23 pm

Thank God.

I'd rather have Posey any day of the week.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#49 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Thank god?

You'd rather have Posey any day of the week?

Go do yourself a favor and look up what Maggette did last year. Even if we took a step back defensively, which I'm not totally sure would even happen, we'd more than offset it offensively. I trust Thibodeau and KG enough that even without PoZ we'd put together a top 3 defense; our D did not suffer when KG went down midseason much at all even!

Where we struggled mightily was anytime that Pierce was injured or in foul trouble, because we had no other pure scorers on the team. Maggette is just that. Plus, Allen ain't getting any younger, and if he falls off a cliff we could've played PP and Maggette side-by-side for the next few years.

I won't be disappointed in the least if Big Game James returns, as it keeps the core intact, but anyone who thinks a 7 PPG 31 year old SF who can't dribble is better than a 28 year old 22 PPG highly efficient SF is insane.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#50 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:22 pm

canman1971 wrote:I guess Maggette doesn't covet winning all that much then. It is all about the money and it always will be.

There is a huge difference between 10 million and 6 million. Plus it's not like the Warriors are a horrible team. They had 40+ wins last season.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#51 » by cisco » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Thank god?

You'd rather have Posey any day of the week?

Go do yourself a favor and look up what Maggette did last year. Even if we took a step back defensively, which I'm not totally sure would even happen, we'd more than offset it offensively. I trust Thibodeau and KG enough that even without PoZ we'd put together a top 3 defense; our D did not suffer when KG went down midseason much at all even!

Where we struggled mightily was anytime that Pierce was injured or in foul trouble, because we had no other pure scorers on the team. Maggette is just that. Plus, Allen ain't getting any younger, and if he falls off a cliff we could've played PP and Maggette side-by-side for the next few years.

I won't be disappointed in the least if Big Game James returns, as it keeps the core intact, but anyone who thinks a 7 PPG 31 year old SF who can't dribble is better than a 28 year old 22 PPG highly efficient SF is insane.

All the experts thought that the great offensive team (Lakers) would be the best defensive team (Celtics), but that didn't happen, did it? You don't trade defense for offense and expect to win. I think Posey is a better fit with the Celtics than Maggette, so I'm also glad that Maggette is no longer an option for the Celtics (unless they were going to try to sign Posey as well as Maggette).

And people need to stop describing Posey as just a 7 ppg 31 year old. You know good and well Posey gives a team WAY more than that. His worth can't be measured by his statistics.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#52 » by shackles10 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:16 pm

The difference is the Lakers were not a very good defensive team and that plus rebounding were weaknesses even Phil Jackson talked about all season long. Maggette wouldn't make us a bad defensive team all of a sudden, and he wouldn't hurt our rebounding. It's not like he'd drop us to middle of the pack or something. While we may not score a ton more as a team with him we would certainly score a lot easier with him, and when you really need offense he's leaps and bounds above Posey.

Return to Boston Celtics